Super V Sound

lowtech

Re: Super V Sound
« Reply #80 on: 4 Dec 2009, 09:30 pm »
Do you mean not caused by baffle diffraction?  The horn on the coaxial tweeter is most likely diffracting to some degree.

Yes, I do believe it's due, at least in part, to the baffle design.  That said, there is no way for me to (dis)prove w/o actually taking my own measurements.  And, I'm not willing to invest $$$ to (dis)prove my point.  However, I'm willing to accept donations.   :lol:

Bear

« Reply #81 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:15 pm »
lowtech
what does your system composed of?  what speakers do you prefer?

thanks

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #82 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:20 pm »
Do you mean not caused by baffle diffraction?  The horn on the coaxial tweeter is most likely diffracting to some degree.

Yes, I do believe it's due, at least in part, to the baffle design.  That said, there is no way for me to (dis)prove w/o actually taking my own measurements.  And, I'm not willing to invest $$$ to (dis)prove my point.  However, I'm willing to accept donations.   :lol:

To be clear that my point is that there is most likely some diffractive effects occuring due to the horn, and horn-woofer connections inside the coaxial.

I don't think it would take much money, just more of a PITA to cut up a simple baffle, with deep roundover edge, with flush mounting of coaxial driver to be measured and see if this makes a difference in the frequency response.  I don't think it would be much.

Can someone take a picture to show what is going on inside that dustcap? or without the dustcap?

-Tony

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #83 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:23 pm »
lowtech

thanks

Danny asked that question once already. Good luck with getting a straight answer w/o the fluff.  :roll:

Cheers,
Robin

TRADERXFAN

• GALLERY
« Reply #84 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:23 pm »
lowtech

thanks

Lowtech, are you actually a potential customer? I didn't get the sense you were, based on the tone of your posts.  IOW, are you interested in buying these, if only there wasn't this "defect" you keep harping on?

-Tony

face

« Reply #85 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:26 pm »
To be clear that my point is that there is most likely some diffractive effects occuring due to the horn, and horn-woofer connections inside the coaxial.
I've seen this coax used in other applications and the FR was similar, I also believe it's due the horn loading of the tweeter, not the baffle.  At this point, it appears lowtech is just trolling.

Danny Richie

« Reply #86 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:27 pm »
Okay guys, the wiggles in the top end are NOT and can NOT be cause by BAFFLE diffraction. It can't. Above 6kHz or so you are into the beaming ranges of the driver. It measures the same out of a baffle as it does on the baffle up there.

The wiggles in the top end can be considered diffraction, but it is in the throat of the driver. It is a coupling and cancelling effect of those short wavelengths in the throat of the driver before the it reaches the opening. It was once a compression driver remember? All is still there it just has the back of it removed so it is no longer a true compression driver.

TRADERXFAN

• GALLERY
« Reply #87 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:27 pm »
lowtech

thanks

Danny asked that question once already. Good luck with getting a straight answer w/o the fluff.  :roll:

Cheers,
Robin

I think he has stated elsewhere he prefers the Orions.

Danny Richie

« Reply #88 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:29 pm »

What's funny is the one Orion owner that has been here and heard them now has his Orion's for sale. He want's to build a pair of Super-V's.

Danny Richie

« Reply #89 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:35 pm »
I've been curious about this too. Regardless of volume, or regardless of most sane volumes   ? Love to see a plot for response vs. max input power. For example, the woofer amps puts out how much power into that load? Then plot max output per frequency? If the low end is maxed at 95db (hypothetical #) at 20hz I would need to at least double the woofs.

Which brings me to my second question, and one of the deciders for me between these and the LS9's I think. Given that I can be a volume monster at times, what's the max clean or safe output of the V's tweeter at crossover? There's the only spot I could think of that the 9's could have an advantage...maybe not though, but the tweeter too runs out of excursion at some point.

In the other thread you asked if 105 db's is enough for the Dodd battery amps and the Super V's...no the occasional peaks in the 115-120 range in a large room is enough  ! Hmmm open back line arrays with multiple servo subs...when they comming    Custom open back BG's?

gprro,

We were hitting those 105db peaks with only a 15 watt amp on them at the show.

Connected to my bigger amps (280 watt mono-blocks)...

they will play to ear bleed levels and the tonal balance is still the same. In other words, the bass keeps up with the rest of it just fine.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #90 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:35 pm »
lowtech

thanks

Cheers,
Robin

Yet that doesn't really answer the question,, now does it?  :scratch: Speakers alone do not a system consist of.  :D

lowtech

« Reply #91 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:38 pm »
Lowtech, are you actually a potential customer? I didn't get the sense you were, based on the tone of your posts.  IOW, are you interested in buying these, if only there wasn't this "defect" you keep harping on?

-Tony

I believe so.  Still waiting for Steve to get back to me with a price on his unpriced Orions.

Aside from the diffraction effects and rather large FR swings due to them, the only other issues I have don't directly deal with the speaker itself.  The issue has more to do with the free use of intellectual property (and not providing or citing the source of it).  This likely won't bother other poriential buyers but it does for me.

lowtech

« Reply #92 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:41 pm »

What's funny is the one Orion owner that has been here and heard them now has his Orion's for sale. He want's to build a pair of Super-V's.

That must be Steve who has been trying to run them with his Pioneer HT receiver?  What's funny is that he's running the woofers in parallel (~2 ohm load) and not happy with how they sound.  No surprise there.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #93 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:43 pm »

-Tony

I believe so.  Still waiting for Steve to get back to me with a price on his unpriced Orions.

Aside from the diffraction effects and rather large FR swings due to them, the only other issues I have don't directly deal with the speaker itself.  The issue has more to do with the free use of intellectual property (and not providing or citing the source of it).  This likely won't bother other poriential buyers but it does for me.

Sounds like you have an axe to grind to me. In fact all your posts to date have that tone to them IMHO. Especially the one sitting in the trash bin that was directed at Dave.  :nono:

Cheers,
Robin

Danny Richie

« Reply #94 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:46 pm »
The issue has more to do with the free use of intellectual property (and not providing or citing the source of it).  This likely won't bother other poriential buyers but it does for me.

Would you like to elaborate on that?

lowtech

« Reply #95 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:47 pm »
Sounds like you have an axe to grind to me. In fact all your posts to date have that tone to them IMHO.

I do agree that my tone is partually due to some silly (to put it politely) claims being made by what appear to be fan-boys.  I see you're a fan of some football teams too.

lowtech

« Reply #96 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:49 pm »
The issue has more to do with the free use of intellectual property (and not providing or citing the source of it).  This likely won't bother other poriential buyers but it does for me.

Would you like to elaborate on that?

No, I think it has all been sufficiently covered.  Besides, you know exactly what I am referring to.

jn316

« Reply #97 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:51 pm »
lowtech,

Have you considered PMing or calling Danny to discuss your issues with him? It is becoming very apparent that you DO have issues with him and his professionalism...strong accusations I might add. Why make them public? Wouldn't it be better to discuss this, if not face-to-face, then on the phone?

Gary

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #98 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:53 pm »

Wow!  If you are suggesting that there are intellectual property issues because the V series has an outward appearance similar to other OB speakers, even though they bear no resemblance in actual design, you have just lost what little, and I mean very little, credibility that you may have had.  This is Danny's circle, but it were mine, you'd already be binned.

Danny Richie

« Reply #99 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:54 pm »
Yeah, I think now would be a good time to have a little chat. And I have know idea what you are really talking about. I can be reached at 940-592-3400.

Thanks,