Super V Sound

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
Re: Super V Sound
« Reply #100 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:55 pm »
Well, Lowtech has made his position and concerns clear.  I thank him for doing so.

Hopefully those that are interested in learning more about Danny's speakers can just move on now. 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #101 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:59 pm »
Sounds like you have an axe to grind to me. In fact all your posts to date have that tone to them IMHO.

I do agree that my tone is partually due to some silly (to put it politely) claims being made by what appear to be fan-boys.  I see you're a fan of some football teams too.

FACT is I am a Dallas Cowboy fan!  :thumb: Another fact is I'm not or have ever been an owner of any product from Danny. Just incase this is what your fluff was referring too.  :nono:  But I do know BS when I read it. And that's all I've read from you in 30 some odd posts now.  :roll: 

Come on now,,,, there must be something productive you've got to say here on AudioCircle as you're obviously an intelligent person and probably a whole lot smarter than moi.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Bear

« Reply #102 on: 4 Dec 2009, 11:00 pm »
sheesh, i was just curious as to what lowtech's equipment is and what his opinions are on the speakers he finds pleasing to his ears.  a question that is simple enough to answer and well within the spirit of the conversation and this medium.  sooo, errr, lowtech....would you care to share  what equipment provides you aural enjoyment?

lowtech

« Reply #103 on: 4 Dec 2009, 11:03 pm »
Sorry guys, I'm done with this thread.  While I did have a legitimate interest in this speaker, I no longer do.  I will no longer be responding to anything GR-related.

Danny - feel free to trash any or everything I've posted as you see fit.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #104 on: 4 Dec 2009, 11:07 pm »
So does that mean that you aren't going to tell us what you DO like? 

jn316

« Reply #105 on: 4 Dec 2009, 11:09 pm »
Well, Lowtech has made his position and concerns clear.  I thank him for doing so.

He has? That last one didn't give any details at all...just made a general accusation against someone, all behind the comfort of his keyboard.

Gary

Bear

« Reply #106 on: 4 Dec 2009, 11:14 pm »

Sorry guys, I'm done with this thread.  While I did have a legitimate interest in this speaker, I no longer do.  I will no longer be responding to anything GR-related.

Danny - feel free to trash any or everything I've posted as you see fit.
[/quote]

all this banter and nothing positive to show for it?  I am new to this sport and this forum.  I would hope that emotions could be curbed.  perhaps lowtech could contribute to future designs as he(lowtech) obivously has enough hubris to questions the merits of this particular design and its technical measurements. too bad he lacks the fortitud to tolerate a little heat(wich should come as no suprise) in doing so.

he is still unwilling to share his preference in equipment, speakers.?????

sl_1800

« Reply #107 on: 4 Dec 2009, 11:14 pm »
Having my Orion's woofers wired in parallel is a common wiring scheme for them, it's just my amp can not handle that load at the volume levels that I like to listen.  The flaws in their sound is still there regardless of the amp or woofer wiring scheme.

Now for putting them up for sale is not to say that I don't like them.  There are just a few areas that I think they could stand some improvement.  Another thing is I have lived with the Orion's for 5 years and that is longer than most any other speaker I have ever had.  Is the Super V perfect?  I doubt that it is perfect but it has a few things in it's sound that are really getting my attention.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #108 on: 4 Dec 2009, 11:17 pm »
Well, it seemed clear to me, but that may be because I loooked at his posts from other threads associated with the v-series.

He said he would like to buy a pair of Orions from Steve.
I believe that he feels proper credit wasn't given to Linkwitz for the resemblance of the v-series to the orions. In addition, he is concerned about the frequency response variation >8khz.
And these issues bother him enough not to want to buy the v-series.

-Tony

gprro

« Reply #109 on: 5 Dec 2009, 12:03 am »
Whoa...whats going on in here? Do I want to get caught up in this thread now... do have some questions, but don't want to come across negative. Tried to use enough emoticons in the last post :D

Danny, thanks for answering in the middle of some crazy thread stuff. I remember the post about the dodd's. I was thinking I would want the higher power in the battery monos.

Purely a curious, maybe more theoretical question i was trying to get across earlier... Is there a point where power would become an issue with the tweeter (perhaps not as it's probably padded down a good amount to meet the mids). If you're cranking on the Big Blues and not hearing any tweeter hardening around the 1k x-over, I suspect not  :thumb: Was just curious of the limits (everything has a limit), what would go first at ludicrous levels...Don't say my ears :P possibly true though. On occasion for short bursts I'll put my volume wants in the 1% crazy level. I've spent a lot of time around real drum kits and blistering, but amazing sounding guitar set ups.

And on the same level, at some point the woofs with their given power will run out of steam (excursion first) way down low before the mid's would. Just curious about absolute limits as well. Sounds like they are keeping up nicely though. Wish I was close enough for a listen.

Really for me, my next speaker purchase will be either LS9's or Super V's..I could save the ultimate comparisons for when I'm ready to buy maybe...Come on Fantasy Football Team, I could use the money :lol:

Bear

« Reply #110 on: 5 Dec 2009, 12:12 am »
would a speaker like ob/7 or ls9 be for foregiving to a room than something like the super v?

Danny Richie

« Reply #111 on: 5 Dec 2009, 12:23 am »
gprro, Pay no attention to where else the thread went.

I think this will answer your question. Here are some specs on the P-Audio driver:

http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/images/BM-12CX38-15CXHC.pdf

Note the extremely high power handling, and keep in mind that the tweeter is padded down to a 97db level. So there is no telling just how much that tweeter will really handle through the crossover (a lot). Also that first cap value on the tweeter is really small. So while acoustically it is playing really low, electrically it is not getting as much low frequency signal as a dome tweeter crossed over with a third order network at 3kHz.

If I were to say which would give out first, it depends on the input and frequency range, but I'd put my money on the subs running out of X-max at some point. But then again the palte amp may run out of power about that time too.

Suffice to say, it would be REALLY loud.

Bear, The V sereis speakers are the most room forgiving speakers of anything out there. They don't load the room and there is complete and total adjustability all across the bottom end. They can even be used with a minimal amount of room treatment. Small room, big room, any room, even near field listening and they are good. You just have to get them out from the wall that is behind them. The OB-7's are not bad at all, but the LS-9's can load up a room and do need a lot more in the way of room treatment.

I have to head our for a soccer tournament now and won't be back in until Sunday. You guys play nice.

gprro

« Reply #112 on: 5 Dec 2009, 12:43 am »
Cool, good to know, thanks! That was my only very small worry compared to the 9's. If i damaged the tweeter some how, doesn't look like an easy replacement. I'm sure i couldn't hurt the 9's with power or excursion. Now that I know about the x-over scheme of the V's, I don't think i could hurt those either. Thought they were getting full signal at 1K.

ebag4

« Reply #113 on: 5 Dec 2009, 01:39 pm »
Cool, good to know, thanks! That was my only very small worry compared to the 9's. If i damaged the tweeter some how, doesn't look like an easy replacement. I'm sure i couldn't hurt the 9's with power or excursion. Now that I know about the x-over scheme of the V's, I don't think i could hurt those either. Thought they were getting full signal at 1K.

Just for the record, replacing the tweeter would be very easy to do with this speaker.  You simply remove 4 screws, throw a new dome in and replace the screws.  I had to take mine apart when I cut the back out of the compression housing.

Best,
Ed

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #114 on: 5 Dec 2009, 05:18 pm »

Just for the record, replacing the tweeter would be very easy to do with this speaker.  You simply remove 4 screws, throw a new dome in and replace the screws.  I had to take mine apart when I cut the back out of the compression housing.

Best,
Ed

Just how difficult is cutting out the back of the tweeter?

ebag4

« Reply #115 on: 5 Dec 2009, 07:11 pm »

Best,
Ed

Just how difficult is cutting out the back of the tweeter?

It was quick and easy.  Drill a hole in the back the size of your router flush trim bit then finish with the router.  It took less than 20 minutes including the removal of the housing.

Best,
Ed

gprro

« Reply #116 on: 5 Dec 2009, 08:27 pm »
Good to know, thanks ed. Hows the sound of the V compare with your OB5/7 top on your other speaker?

ebag4

« Reply #117 on: 5 Dec 2009, 08:50 pm »
Good to know, thanks ed. Hows the sound of the V compare with your OB5/7 top on your other speaker?
I am only running the top half of the V-1 with the same woofers I am using with the MTM section of the OB5.  The coax is very dynamic, that is probably the biggest difference.  I like the NEO3 tweeter a lot but I have to give the edge to the Paudio for overall enjoyment.  I will be picking up the bass section of the V-1 as soon as my audio piggy bank has enough change,

Best,
Ed

srclose

« Reply #118 on: 5 Dec 2009, 08:58 pm »
Just sold Epiphany 12/12 line sources and went to Iowa Park to listen to the Super V.  I've previously heard the Alpha LS and Epiphany 12/12 in Danny's room.  The front end is quite a bit different, though.  Before a Lite Audio DAC with transport and now a Mac Mini/iTunes through Wolfson or Tranquility DAC.  The Super V has terrific bass and vocals.  Very spacious sound with the open baffle.  Presents music as whole cloth.  Ordered one.

Christof

« Reply #119 on: 5 Dec 2009, 11:33 pm »
I would like to provide a link to a very interesting article regarding diffraction published by Bob Smith.  As many of you know Bob's speakers are based on waveguides.  The tweeter in Danny's V series is, as Danny mentioned earlier, in a waveguide configuration so I feel this article could be very informative for anyone questioning diffraction effects....

Diffraction article by Bob Smith