I bought X-Omnis for $99 NEW!

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
Re: I bought X-Omnis for $99 NEW!
« Reply #20 on: 11 Nov 2009, 05:04 pm »
Sounds like they are out of stock?

roscoeiii

« Reply #21 on: 11 Nov 2009, 05:14 pm »
Satin Black still seem to be in stock. Must. Resist. Temptation.

mcullinan

« Reply #22 on: 11 Nov 2009, 05:15 pm »
All you ever hear is how great av123 speakers are, you cant resist for $99. If anything its a great promotional tool as I will be giving a full review on AC.
Mike

emac

« Reply #23 on: 11 Nov 2009, 05:48 pm »
In case anyone's interested, here's my review of the X-Omni's from the AV123 forum.  Long winded and dated, but useful never-the-less.

http://www.forums.av123.com/showthread.php?t=36491

And w/ the Ninja mods, they are a step up from here.  Still my favorite sub-$1000 speaker I've heard.

ctviggen

« Reply #24 on: 11 Nov 2009, 07:29 pm »
Are these suitable for surround speakers?  If so, how would you place them for the 4-7 positions of 7.1 channels?

mcullinan

« Reply #25 on: 11 Nov 2009, 07:33 pm »
I think they are sold out... the page is gone!
Mike

emac

« Reply #26 on: 11 Nov 2009, 07:50 pm »
Are these suitable for surround speakers?  If so, how would you place them for the 4-7 positions of 7.1 channels?

Very suitable, and very good.  You'd place them in basically the same positions as you would other surrounds, though w/ the idea that the further off of the wall the better.  Have to experiment.

Shame that these are sold out, though not surprising given the ridiculous price.

ctviggen

« Reply #27 on: 11 Nov 2009, 07:53 pm »
They weren't gone about two hours ago.  I couldn't figure out how to use them as surrounds in my system, as I have to have the surround near the wall and preferably on the wall.

Nels Ferre

« Reply #28 on: 18 Nov 2009, 02:51 am »
My brother received his Christmas present today. He sounds very pleased. I'll have to get up to Kentucky at some point for a visit and give them a listen.

I told him they should sound better after break in- he likes 'em cold out of the box- a good sign.

mcullinan

« Reply #29 on: 18 Nov 2009, 03:27 am »
Just got mine today... Very nice! I did win the lottery! lol
Mike

Meicheng

« Reply #30 on: 18 Nov 2009, 03:42 am »
Got mine today also.  I was surprised how big and heavy the shipping box was.  I hooked em up and was pretty impressed given the price.  They will likely end up serving duty as surrounds but for now I am having fun playing them as mains.  I hope to hear from others with your impressions in the coming days as you get em.   

Sparky14

« Reply #31 on: 18 Nov 2009, 03:00 pm »
Got mine yesterday as well. Beautiful speakers. Eventually they will be surrounds (when the kids get a little older and less destructive), but right now I'm using them as PC speakers fed by an older British integrated.

Even at low volumes, these things have an impressive soundstage. Sonically, they are quite dark compared to my N2X and Onix Ref 1 (no surprise there, as the latter two are known for their top end). I had to boost the treble to get it where I like it.

I bet a set of X-Omnis would make an amazing home theater, sound would come from everywhere.

mcullinan

« Reply #32 on: 18 Nov 2009, 03:22 pm »
I also had to boost the treble quite a bit... then on-axis response is acceptable. I watched a movie last night, using just the X-Omnis and its quite nice.
M

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #33 on: 19 Nov 2009, 10:07 pm »
I got mine Tuesday and finally listened to them last night. 

Positives: They throw a big open soundstage and were a lot of fun to listen to.  For their size they project good midbass weight in my 16x20x8 room down to about 60 hz. 

Initial Negatives: The highs are stuck to the front of the speakers while the rest of the spectrum is projected back into a deep ethereal soundstage.  This makes them sound somewhat disembodied.  Extreme toe-in helped somewhat.  We'll have to see if break-in and further room placement experimentation will mitigate this.

Pretty cool for a $99 pair of speakers.

emac

« Reply #34 on: 19 Nov 2009, 11:57 pm »
The treble does open up somewhat after some burn in.  But, I also encountered the same problem that people are describing here of the highs being somewhat 2-D while the rest of the sound is 3-D.  The culprit in my case was my flat screen TV.  Once I moved the Omni's forward a good foot, which put the speakers about 2.5 feet from the TV, the problem was fixed.  So, positioning is important.  The more space the better.

Also, w/ the stock Omni's, I found while I loved the sound for music and for TV, for HT, I felt the central image was too diffuse for my tastes.  Adding a center channel speaker solved the problem for the most part, but I found I didn't have any problems once I added the Skiing Ninja crossovers to the X-Omni's.  The resolution improved considerably, and I didn't have the problem any more.  Of course, haven't had the problem w/ the O-3's either. 

As for the Omni's being "dark" in comparison to the Neo's and Ref 1's, I can see where you're coming from, though it isn't the description I would use.  The stock Ref 1's are somewhat bright and etched, and the Neo's have a more forward presentation than the Omni's.  The Omni's are more spacious/3-D and laid back, and they don't have the detail of either the Refs or the Neo's.  Danny's omnidirectional designs are never going to be "in your face". 

mcullinan

« Reply #35 on: 20 Nov 2009, 03:26 pm »
I tried EQing with the help of a Radioshack meter... Using the EQ in Itunes... so maybe there are some helpful hints. If I push up the 16K setting it affects the rest of the EQ... Weird. That doesnt happen in my car. If I set the 8K it doesnt affect the 4K or 20K... Is it the kind of EQ? I got them relatively flat but it still doesnt sound right. Im going to pull them farther from the wall?? Frustrating.
Mike

The treble did open up btw and from using the Radioshack meter most of the treble had to be turned down a bit...
When I finished EQing the sound was much more natural but sparse... hmm

mcullinan

« Reply #36 on: 21 Nov 2009, 02:53 am »
Ok I added a preamplifier to the mix, took off all EQ and pulled one of the speakers away from the wall. Much much better! About 30 hours on them. Treble has opened up nicely... I was a bit worried. You really have to sit below the top of the speaker otherwise the treble gets muffled. These are definitely a nice addition to my 2nd system.
Mike