Hum problem!!

danman

Re: Hum problem!!
« Reply #20 on: 8 Nov 2009, 11:28 pm »
Does your line level preamp have a place to ground? I remember one time a guy had to run a ground from the turntable to the phono preamp and then to the line level preamp. If not you could use just one of the metal screws on the cover. You could do this with just a piece of wire to see if there is any effect or not. Today must be bad ground day as there is another guy on another post with popping sounds in his system. Sometimes tough to figure out "over the phone".

Wayner  :lol:

Tried that and it did not work also! :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

danman

« Reply #21 on: 8 Nov 2009, 11:30 pm »
I have the exact same table. I have always had a really really low level hum from my table. Not loud enough to hear during music but just loud enough to hear when I put my ear to the speaker. If your hum is a really low level I think it is the table, remember this is just a entry level, 450$ table.

Then again I could be wrong

I was tolld it was NOT normal so if it is as you say, it is going back for sure!

danman

« Reply #22 on: 8 Nov 2009, 11:46 pm »
I ran a wire from the phonobox to the motor and the hum decrease somewhat. Still there but a little less! I still had the ground connection from the Project's interconnect hooked at the same time.

guest48077

« Reply #23 on: 9 Nov 2009, 12:42 am »
Just thinking................... I have always used cheap Phono pres. I plan to by a decent one soon. I was using a cheap 1970 Realistic and before that a cheap radioshack thing. I kinda found all of these around from relatives and in boxes. Currently I am using an AKAI receiver's as a Phono input and out put. It is not the ideal way of doing thinks but it works and sounds decent.

My REALLY REALLY LOW LOW LEVEL hum issuse

could be starting at my cheap phono present and past.

Just a thought

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #24 on: 9 Nov 2009, 02:45 am »
i would suspect either the cartridge, or the tonearm wiring, up to and including the rca's that plug into your fono preamp.  you could check continuity from each cartridge clip to the end of the rca plugs, both pos & neg.  or, as was mentioned before, the connection from the tonearm wiring to the cartridge.  if you have extra stuff, you could try swapping out cartridge, tonearm, fono preamp.  it's possible it could even be ic's between fono stage and main pre.

doug s.

danman

« Reply #25 on: 10 Nov 2009, 12:55 am »
Going to Montreal Monday for business and bringing the table and Phonobox with me to be checked out. Todd at Codell Audio thinks it is a good idea the only problem I will need to find out about is getting it on the plane through security!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #26 on: 10 Nov 2009, 12:34 pm »
Going to Montreal Monday for business and bringing the table and Phonobox with me to be checked out. Todd at Codell Audio thinks it is a good idea the only problem I will need to find out about is getting it on the plane through security!
you definitely want to carry it on, not get checked w/luggage; i'd contact the airline before bringing it.

doug s.

danman

« Reply #27 on: 10 Nov 2009, 01:18 pm »
That won't be a problem as I am very close friends of the airline the problem will most likely be security. I have to go and see them first. If that does not pan out, I will just send it I suppose.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #28 on: 10 Nov 2009, 01:38 pm »
That won't be a problem as I am very close friends of the airline the problem will most likely be security. I have to go and see them first. If that does not pan out, I will just send it I suppose.
no reason a turntable will not get thru security.  it's not a knife, weapon, explosive, or >4oz of liquid.   :lol:  but, if you cannot fit it safely in an overhead compartment or in front of you beneath the seat, you may have a problem.

doug s.

roger15ohm

« Reply #29 on: 10 Dec 2009, 04:27 am »
Hai guys!

Dont mind me to slot in, but I do have Humming problems and see anyone can give me a hand on this.

Months ago,  i completed my diy plinth for Lenco75, external mount the rb250.  Perfect. Hum was low and acceptable because my Dynaco st70 hums too, and my canary pre has some noise from cheap valve.

-TT no earth at all-neither to phono amp, or outlet.
-Rb250 original earth sharing with one of the negative on either channel.

Lately I rewired my arms and color removal, separated earth for tt.   Humming begins.  I found out lost of decrease when touches the tt top plate.  So i ground it sharing to the arm.  Perfect, But....

The hum starts to come and go.  I am doubt of my phono because my friend and i audit his EAR to my setup have the same problem too.

Any cure?