Picture Food Needed

DEV

Re: Picture Food Needed
« Reply #660 on: 12 Feb 2011, 03:30 am »
Well I'm getting there SLOWLY :lol:, got the BK all set-up on the Minus K and very happy.  :thumb: That was allot of work, I had to do a dry fit first picking it up several times and it weighs over a 150 lbs. I had to do this to position it properly so to get the centre of gravitiy. You have to do this so that the Minus K is effective and works properly as designed but once it's done well you just forget it.

Got my BK arm boards and TW arm so I mounted them along with my REED arm and the MSL BC cart (my freind is actually doing the set-up) Takes time so it's not complete as of yet but getting there, enjoy!

PRELUDE

« Reply #661 on: 12 Feb 2011, 06:43 am »
Anybody heard from Mikey Fremer in the past few days?
I could be wrong but I heard that he is left his job because he won't able to review this one ever!

The GOLDMUND REFERENCE 2
Only 25 of them will be built
$300,000 and over 250kg
Good Luck :thumb:

vvv

« Reply #662 on: 12 Feb 2011, 10:41 am »
Nordost Ballhalla (price: USD 12,000):

vvv

« Reply #663 on: 12 Feb 2011, 06:29 pm »
Today I had my first ever listening to the TAD Reference 1 loudspeakers (at a hi-fi shop).
They cost USD 60,000 which is approximately the same as competitors like JBL DD66000 Everest and Dynaudio Consequence.

The speakers are made by Technical Audio Devices Laboratories,Inc which is a subsidiary (or division) of Pioneer.
They are really beautiful, confer the picture together with the vase. You have to see them in real life for best judgement.

The room they played in is the same room which they earlier had a JBL K2 demo, see the picture. It is a rather small and rather rectangular room with one long side and one short side. The speakers were place along the long side.

You may say that the TAD R 1's look rather KEF 207/2-ish. This is not so surprising because Andrew Jones designed them, and he was formerly head of engineering at KEF (Andrew is pictured in the bottom picture).

We first heard them using Hegel amplification (Hegel H30 monoblock used as stereo amplifier (ca 300W as stereo-amp) and P30 pre-amplifier). The sound was very impressive (I want to avoid torrent of word, so no further description is made).
We thereafter replaced the Hegel amplification by Mcintosh MA7000 (which costs approximately 50% of the Hegel amplification).
This resulted in a rather huge downgrade in sound quality.

The service of the hi-fi shop's staff was exemplary.

Conclusion: TAD R 1 are very good speakers, and you should use an amplifier being better than the Mcintosh MA7000 to take out their full potential.

vvv

« Reply #664 on: 12 Feb 2011, 07:36 pm »
People listening to TAD Reference 1 in Sweden.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #665 on: 12 Feb 2011, 08:05 pm »
vvv, I've heard those at CES. It is the first speaker that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up! Honestly!

The system there was all TAD. Amps, preamp, and SACD player. Plus they had a reel to reel deck and I believe a turntable.

vvv

« Reply #666 on: 13 Feb 2011, 02:02 am »
vvv, I've heard those at CES. It is the first speaker that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up! Honestly!

The system there was all TAD. Amps, preamp, and SACD player. Plus they had a reel to reel deck and I believe a turntable.
:) nice story !
Feel free to tell us more about your listening experience with the TAD's. What do you think made you feel so about them ?

Here is a nice interview with Andrew Jones of TAD:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue30/andrew_jones.htm

vvv

« Reply #667 on: 13 Feb 2011, 02:46 am »

VOLKS

« Reply #668 on: 13 Feb 2011, 06:10 am »
I would love to hear these speakers......from what i understand they are amazing.....however i think  Andrew Jones stayed a little to close to his past Kef Roots as far as the "Look" of the speaker......i agree they look very Kef 207/2 ish,but for double the price of the Kef's.

vvv

« Reply #669 on: 13 Feb 2011, 11:22 pm »
I would love to hear these speakers......from what i understand they are amazing.....however i think  Andrew Jones stayed a little to close to his past Kef Roots as far as the "Look" of the speaker......i agree they look very Kef 207/2 ish,but for double the price of the Kef's.
Can you tell us about the amplifiers you tested on your KEF 207/2's and compare them with each other (or with the Bryston amplification) ?
And also compare your pre-amp (and power supply) with the other brands you tested.

vvv

« Reply #670 on: 14 Feb 2011, 09:12 pm »

vvv

« Reply #671 on: 14 Feb 2011, 09:40 pm »

vvv

« Reply #672 on: 14 Feb 2011, 09:45 pm »
Laundrew's next speakers ?
Or will he go for the JBL DD66000 Everest... ?

vvv

« Reply #673 on: 15 Feb 2011, 11:06 pm »
Thor is an elegant, full rack width, 6-way AC mains power distribution unit featuring sophisticated circuitry for dealing with mains noise and voltage spikes without limiting dynamic headroom. But it’s also much, much more than that. When you listen to your audio system or watch a movie, you are quite literally hearing and seeing the mains power supplying your equipment. In today’s heavily polluted electrical environment, where homes contain masses of computers, computer based appliances, wireless technology and other sources of electrical interference, all dumping noise back into your mains supply, Thor is your first line of defense, the foundation on which system performance ultimately depends.

"Thor makes such a fundamental difference to the sound of a system that it demands primacy of place in the mains hierarchy."
Roy Gregory, Hi Fi+ Issue 35

Interior pictures of the interior of Nordost Thor  Power Distribution Center ($3300), and the above text is Roy Gregory's review (Hi Fi+ Issue 35).

skunark

« Reply #674 on: 16 Feb 2011, 01:18 am »
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

http://www.phihong.com/assets/pdf/PSA05A.pdf

I'm curious what a $5 part wall-wart is doing... 5v, 1A, seems plugged right into the main ground and power plans on the circuit board..    Perhaps they are using it as a delay, or to drive the front panel light, or sensing overvoltage.   
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2011, 03:27 am by skunark »

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #675 on: 16 Feb 2011, 10:20 am »
I have tried this thing at home and was not too impressed with it. WAAAY too much money for an empty box. I'll stick with my Kemp power source for now.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #676 on: 16 Feb 2011, 12:51 pm »
Interior pictures of the interior of Nordost Thor  Power Distribution Center ($3300), and the above text is Roy Gregory's review (Hi Fi+ Issue 35).

They must also throw in all the cold solder joints for free…

Absolutely disgusting.

Be well…

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #677 on: 17 Feb 2011, 03:02 am »

Nordost pushes the performance envelope TO THE LIMIT!
I love this hobby...yeesh.
Werd has a thread going on the Solid State Circle entitled "Hi-End Prices - Are They Too High?"
Oh, the humanity...

D.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #678 on: 17 Feb 2011, 11:43 am »
Japanese translation:

Nap.

This guy must have bought one and decided to express his feelings about it in a more permanent way...

PRELUDE

« Reply #679 on: 17 Feb 2011, 11:57 pm »
The best way to warm up the house in winter :thumb: