Great tube rolling suggestion!

martyo

Re: Great tube rolling suggestion!
« Reply #20 on: 3 Nov 2009, 07:34 pm »
Slight mistake in my first notice herein.

The spacer has 4-40 threads, not 6-32.

Regards,

Frank

The part # was correct, right?    8)

tgp06

« Reply #21 on: 3 Nov 2009, 08:09 pm »
Digi-Key part number in Frank's post is correct. 8400K-ND

martyo

« Reply #22 on: 3 Nov 2009, 08:34 pm »
Digi-Key part number in Frank's post is correct. 8400K-ND

Thanks. When I ordered I didn't pay much attention.......

Listens2tubes

« Reply #23 on: 4 Nov 2009, 03:53 am »
I've got a sleeve of (5) Amperex PQ orange label, a quad of Amperex JAN (1965) and 3 quad of Philips ECG one 10/84 (Pearl CryoValve Ultra Low Noise)and two 3/86 (JAN) of 6922 tubes, all NOS. They are intended for the Curcio driver boards in a pair of Dynaco Mk IV's I'll be re-building. But if the modern T8 will take the 6922 also they are not too tall. 8)

martyo

« Reply #24 on: 4 Nov 2009, 09:57 am »
Well I went to Triode yesterday and bought one pair of the EH's Frank recommended and one pair of NOS RCA's. They only had 2 EH's left since they had a few orders Monday and yesterday morning......These are really some "long" plates.

I decided I'd start with only the T8 with the EH's. I listened to "side 2" of Abbey Road because I've been listening to it a lot lately, and then Keith Jarrett at the Blue Note which is one of my "test" Cd's.

I'll wait to post listening impressions until BrainM is ready.  :lol:
Really, I started listening at my normal bedtime and dozed off a few times during the Beatles, "reset" with Keith and it didn't take too long and  :sleep:

Art_Chicago

« Reply #25 on: 4 Nov 2009, 08:18 pm »
Frank, I do not want to wait for Brian's comments ( well I do, but do not know for how long i can). So please a few words on how significant this upgrade is for the T-8 preamp.
Thank you very much,
Art

avahifi

« Reply #26 on: 4 Nov 2009, 08:36 pm »
You guys are just going to have to wait and talk to each other (and me) about the 6CG7 tubes after you try it.  :)

I am speechless.  :)

Frank

martyo

« Reply #27 on: 4 Nov 2009, 08:57 pm »
Frank, I do not want to wait for Brian's comments ( well I do, but do not know for how long i can). So please a few words on how significant this upgrade is for the T-8 preamp.
Thank you very much,
Art

Art, I was just kidding about Brian. I'm going home right now and am going to listen. Last night wasn't enough time for me to give my input. Plus it is pretty hard when you are sleeping.........

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #28 on: 4 Nov 2009, 09:23 pm »
I wonder if this could be considered a generalized thing to try with 6N1P. My (diy) pre uses 2 of them, and i have quite a few 6CG7 (last batch were a sleeve of 5 NOS RCA for $5.

dave

martyo

« Reply #29 on: 5 Nov 2009, 12:24 am »
Okay guys, here it goes. Frank used the word "Great" and I think that is what it is. Over here I'd describe this as pretty significant.

MORE CLARITY, (Blacker background, probably lower noise level), VERY evident in the front to back.
Fuller/richer, as in not lean. (Very similiar to the remastered Beatles).
Smoother, but not any less defined or softened up. Transcients and attacts still quick and crisp.
And the decay, with the increased clarity is pretty damn sweet. Jack De Johnette is stunning.

I'm really pumped. This is what I heard last night but wanted to be sure(aka awake) before posting. Hope this helps. I'm sure Brian will be able to better put his impressions into words.

Jump on it Art, in my not so humble opinion.  aa

That was with only the T8's tubes rolled, with the EH's. Now I'm going back down and put those NOS RCA's in the DAC and the party will continue.

I listened to Elephant Mountain, Keith Jarrett, Diana Krall, a few cuts off of NYAR Cd's, and The Deal from the Dead at Alpine.  8)

mathgeek97

« Reply #30 on: 6 Nov 2009, 02:31 pm »
Step three, the much harder fix (for the preamplifiers only):  Remove circuit board, remove 6N1P tube sockets, replace with (shorter) original Cinch type sockets (still available as NOS from several sources).  Replace 1/2" spacers holding board to chassis with 1/4" spacers.  This lowers the circuit board and the tube sockets enough so the cover will fit as originally.

P.S.  We don't plan on doing this in production because there is not enough appropriate low profile tube sockets available to use for a production run.

Sounds scary for the electronically challenged.  If a customer sent you a set of low profile tube sockets, would you build a new preamp with the mod?
P.S.  Don't laught at my signature.  Someday I'l update... :)

martyo

« Reply #31 on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:02 pm »
Thanks Frank for the tip. I am so happy with the set. We all hear different etc. and I know Frank and Jim and Dennis have trained ears and know what is accurate etc. but to me the HT3's are voiced a tad to the lean side. Again, the HT3's are great speakers and I love ours, I never thought I would have speakers this good. But NOW I'm really happy!!!THis was the perfect upgrade for our set. I've been thinking of more words to describe the sound with the new tubes. I think "luster" is a good word. The luster comes through.

From what I've been reading, the guys as Triode really took care of me with the NOS RCA's. They are clear tops, side getter, w/smooth long gray plates. Most venders rate them as among the best sounding of this tube type. They were $8 a piece.  :o
                                                                                                    8)

avahifi

« Reply #32 on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:16 pm »
mathgeek97, sure, if you supply the necessary Cinch low profile sockets we will build either an Ultra or T8 preamp equipped to handle the 6CG7 tubes directly.  However, we are not stocking these tubes at this time so you will need to supply your own tubes.  The unit will come with 6N1P tubes which you can swap in or out as you choose.

No extra charge for this service of course.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

mathgeek97

« Reply #33 on: 6 Nov 2009, 04:44 pm »
mathgeek97, sure, if you supply the necessary Cinch low profile sockets we will build either an Ultra or T8 preamp equipped to handle the 6CG7 tubes directly.  However, we are not stocking these tubes at this time so you will need to supply your own tubes.  The unit will come with 6N1P tubes which you can swap in or out as you choose.

No extra charge for this service of course.

Frank,

That's good to know for all of us potential customers.  The WAF is much higher with mods that are hidden on the inside.  Now, for the DACs, is there a similar elegant solution?

Thanks,
mathgeek97

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #34 on: 6 Nov 2009, 05:31 pm »
Frank:

There are 9 pin tube sockets here, but I don't know which, if any, might work.  Is there a socket here that you are familiar with?

http://pacifictv.ca/socket.htm

Or here?

http://www.hndme.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=847&IDCategory=134#details

Wayner

« Reply #35 on: 6 Nov 2009, 07:54 pm »
Nice find, OITP! I think one of these may help the situation.

Wayner

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #36 on: 6 Nov 2009, 09:28 pm »
Yea Wayner, but I don't know which one, if any, would work.

I ordered the risers from Digi-tek and two pair of NOS RCA clear top tubes from Jim McShane, but I would prefer to replace the sockets in the preamp than use the risers.   The other idea that I had was to take the covers to a machine shop and have circular holes cut directly above the tubes.  If I did that, I might want to use some type of socket extenders to make the tubes stick out higher.  I could also run the preamp and DAC without the covers, since they are in a cabinet.

Wayner

« Reply #37 on: 6 Nov 2009, 09:52 pm »
Well, it's in the right direction, dimensionally anyway. Need to make up some real estate some how.

Wayner

avahifi

« Reply #38 on: 6 Nov 2009, 10:00 pm »
oneinthepipe, the BPA-PCB NOS socket from your first source suggestion "looks right" (like the Cinch) but I would have to have the dimensions (especially height above the board) to be sure.

Your second souce says out of stock, and since that is an out of production socket, I expect permanently.

Frank

avahifi

« Reply #39 on: 6 Nov 2009, 10:01 pm »
We can't lower the board on the T8 and Ultra DACs because there is stuff on the bottom of the boards.   :o

Frank