Do you like hops?? I have a beer for you...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Do you like hops?? I have a beer for you...
« on: 29 Oct 2009, 02:10 am »
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

This beer has a HUGE hop flavor profile with a nice citrus touch to compliment the bitterness of the hops.  It is also very refreshing, with a light to medium body that produces a very easy to drink beer.

As an added bonus, it's alcohol content is pretty high at 7.2% (almost double the average beer).

Highly recommended.   :beer:

George

santacore

Re: Do you like hops?? I have a beer for you...
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2009, 02:16 am »
I love Sierra Nevada. I'll keep an eye out for that one. :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2009, 02:16 am »
I would add Hop Stoopid by Lagunitas to that list. It's also a good deal as far as those pricey 22 oz. bottles go. Very hoppy, with a real grapefruit citrus flavor. Very refreshing, very hoppy.

jrebman

« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2009, 02:22 am »
And one of my faves, New Belgian "2 Below".  One of their seasonal beers and will be out soon for the cold months.

Thanks for the recommendation George, I remember from RMAF 2007 that you have excellent taste in beer.

-- Jim

Bigfish

« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2009, 02:30 am »
Thanks for the recommendation George.  I will look for this one this weekend!  IPA's are my favorite brew.

Ken

mdconnelly

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2009, 02:38 am »
As long as we're talking beer... Paulaner Octoberfest Marzen...  A local brew place has it on tap and I swear, I can't stop daydreaming about it.  It is that good.  I've been back at least 3 times since I first had it and I'm afraid that with the end of October will come the end of this wonderful beer. 

Find it. Drink it.  Dream about it.  It's that good. :thumb:

Ken... Tylers at American Tobacco in Durham.   Check it out.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2009, 03:59 am »
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

This beer has a HUGE hop flavor profile with a nice citrus touch to compliment the bitterness of the hops.  It is also very refreshing, with a light to medium body that produces a very easy to drink beer.

As an added bonus, it's alcohol content is pretty high at 7.2% (almost double the average beer).

Highly recommended.   :beer:

George

I've been drinking that off an on for about four months now. It's an excellent beer and compares favorably to the Saint Arnold "Elissa" IPA they make here in Houston. The local Kroger puts it on sale for $6.99 every couple of weeks and I usually stock up on a couple of 6'ers.

Cheers!

Wayne1

« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2009, 04:28 am »
Great taste, George  :wink:

Torpedo is made with a fairly new hop: Citra. It isn't grown on much acreage yet. The fall harvest has recently been processed and fresh batches of Torpedo are headed towards stores near you.

Paulaner Oktoberfest is available from July to October.

I haven't been drinking much commercial beer lately. I've gotten back into homebrewing.

One of the last finds I made was Modus Hoperandi from SKA brewing in Durango. Absolutely fantastic hop aroma and flavor. All Centennial and Cascade hops. If you get the chance, check it out.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale from Kalamazoo is another great one for aroma. All Centennial hops.

Another local brew with a distinctive single varietal aroma is MOJO from Boulder Beer. It just screams Amarillo hops.

turkey

« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2009, 03:31 pm »
One of the hoppy beers I like is Thirsty Dog Hoppus Maximus.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #9 on: 29 Oct 2009, 04:24 pm »
My all-time favorite hoppy ale is Flying Dog "Double Dog Double Pale Ale", but at 11.5% you really have to watch yourself on warm days. The alcohol is well-hidden and it has a citrusy sweet finish. It comes in 4-packs. I guess that's to prevent trips to the emergency room :wink:

sts9fan

« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2009, 05:41 pm »
Sierra Nevada has some good offerings this year.  Their Harvest "Wet Hop" and "Fresh Hop" are both real nice.  I guess wet hop is the cool thing this year.
I read an article on the torpedo dealy in a homebrew magazine.  Real easy to copy (The torpedo not the brew).  We stuffed a cartridge type fiilter with hops and ran that inline to the keg after secondary.  Came out nice. 

My new hoppiest favorite is Green Flash "West Coast IPA"

turkey

« Reply #11 on: 29 Oct 2009, 05:49 pm »
It comes in 4-packs. I guess that's to prevent trips to the emergency room :wink:

I once talked to someone at a local brewery about this. He said that some beers are more expensive to make, whether from expensive ingredients or requiring more care or skill from the brewers, so a 6-pack would be too expensive. The 4-pack goes for a lower price point and more people will buy it. $10 seems to be the tipping point in my area. Most sixes are $10 or less. 4-packs of special beers seem to run $10 (Actually $9.99.)

It makes sense to me. I can get any number of very good beers for $7.99, including microbrews. I might cough up an extra 2 bucks for something really special (and I have indeed done so). If a 6-pack were $15, it would be a very rare purchase for me. A 4-pack at $10 keeps it in the reasonable-sounding price range, even though it's the same per bottle.

sts9fan

« Reply #12 on: 29 Oct 2009, 06:04 pm »
I still pay $17 for a sixer of Ruination!  I think you are right though.  They want the product to be in range with the other brews even if you get less. 

Nick77

« Reply #13 on: 31 Oct 2009, 11:58 am »
Here's another hop monster with a nice little kick (9%). Tasty and a touch of sweetness. Yum!
Dogfish Head 90 min Imperial IPA

TheChairGuy

« Reply #14 on: 31 Oct 2009, 03:28 pm »
I'm not an avid beer drinker...I merely drink to quench, mostly :wink:

But, as the season is, I've seen a lot of 'Pumpkin Ale' of late about.  Anybody know how it tastes? - I'm kinda' intrigued to try a 6-pack 8)

John

FOR SALE: Superphon Dual Mono Preamp and DM200 Amp/fully updated.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72676.0

philltubes

« Reply #15 on: 31 Oct 2009, 03:45 pm »
Another vote for the Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA, the 60 minute is also excellent and a little lighter than the 90.  The 60 minute is very similar to the Sierra Nevada IPA.  Having English relatives I've been turned on to a lot of the smaller brews from england, not near as hoppy but oh so tasty and smooth.  Off to the fridge!!

Phill

Nick77

« Reply #16 on: 31 Oct 2009, 05:02 pm »
I have tried several but the only one i can reccomend is the Doghead, it comes in a 4 pack for 10 bucks. But it is a nice seasonal treat.

But, as the season is, I've seen a lot of 'Pumpkin Ale' of late about.  Anybody know how it tastes? - I'm kinda' intrigued to try a 6-pack 8)

John

bunky

« Reply #17 on: 31 Oct 2009, 05:37 pm »
As long as we're talking beer... Paulaner Octoberfest Marzen...  A local brew place has it on tap and I swear, I can't stop daydreaming about it.  It is that good.  I've been back at least 3 times since I first had it and I'm afraid that with the end of October will come the end of this wonderful beer. 

Find it. Drink it.  Dream about it.  It's that good. :thumb:

Ken... Tylers at American Tobacco in Durham.   Check it out.
Hey Mike,I have not drank Alcohol in over seven years but the Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen from the keg was my absolute favorite beer  :drool: I used to get it at the 5th Regiment Armory in Baltimore during the three day Octoberfest celebration.thanks.....WCW III

Lyndon

« Reply #18 on: 31 Oct 2009, 06:26 pm »
This is one of the better pumpkin spiced ales locally, but this reviewer felt it was only in the aroma.
It sells out every year, though...

Review:
http://www.united-nations-of-beer.com/four-punkn-ale.html
My problem with all these fine brews mentioned above, is that Utah is a "heavily" state controlled liquor store
state. They really, really jack up the price of the beer, more so than the wine or distilled spirits.  I would love to try that Sierra Nevada new brew.  Loved their tap stuff when I was living on Manhattan.
Lyndon

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #19 on: 31 Oct 2009, 08:45 pm »

John

Hmmm.....Looks like John has a new marketing tact to sell his Superphon..... :lol: