My Split Chassis Cornet II Is Born !! (pics)

SoundBound

Re: My Split Chassis Cornet II Is Born !! (pics)
« Reply #20 on: 6 Dec 2009, 04:42 pm »
What cart you match it with now?  You using the Carinet too?

I don't have the Clarinet, it may be next year's project for me.  I do think it is a great design and would like to hear how it does in the system, especially how it may modify the sound of the DAC unit I have.

My cartridge is an Audio Technica AT440MLa, not too expensive (if you look online) and am very happy with it's ability to track very well and produce a good 3D soundstage.

roger15ohm

Re: My Split Chassis Cornet II Is Born !! (pics)
« Reply #21 on: 6 Dec 2009, 04:54 pm »
Very nice indeed. I am looking for a phono preamp to build and its nice to see what can be done with this kit. I will second your opinion on the Mundorfs. I put the Silver/Gold/oil in my Paramounts and the improvement was not subtle. I wanted to use the Silvers but wasn't comfortable with their temperature rating. The question I have is why did you do the cap bypass? I understand that in parallel the total capacitance increases, but why not just get a bigger value cap? Does the voltage rating increase as well? Does it sound better?   

Hai JayB

I have the same thought like you.  I did a very fast glance tru(introduced by someone), especially with all the finishing Cornet2 here and go for the kill days later.  My opinion Jh allow to sell the bare board, which really benifit for every level in hifi world.  Except for my case, I really prefer the sound stage by itself rather mix with the power.s but if this can help to prevent humming and hissss, then worth to go that way.

We have original chassis built,  split chassis built. Anything besides this? :icon_lol: