Am I insane to want to base my music sever on a WinXP Dell D800 laptop?

hatehifi

And if 'no' is the answer, can anyone help me get started - from scratch? Point me to the right links, entries here? Please?

I've got ~ 2,000CDs and would like to copy them on HD (with backup). No music, I will go insane. I've got a very good-sounding hi-fi (also 4k vinyl) and my CDP is a MWI Sony9100ES SigTruth (would also be for sale). I've found a USB DAC 'to live with,' the HRT Music Streamer+ (and an Entreq Discover USB IC).

Anybody dare offer me a helping hand? Thanks in advance. BTW, maybe I can reciprocate with some music, hi-fi kit, or other form of payment.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2009, 04:09 am by hatehifi »

srb

XP and a modest processor should work fine for a music server.  Your laptop's hardrive won't hold all your CDs either in uncompressed or lossless format, so you would most likely be looking at an external USB drive.

You would need well over 1TB (1000GB) to store them uncompressed in either .WAV or .AIFF.  You would probably need between 800GB - 1000GB to store them in a lossless format, either .FLAC or Apple Lossless.

Much less hard drive space, perhaps even on your laptop's hard drive, if they were highly compressed MP3/MP4, but in the interest of fidelity, I'll assume you don't want to do that.

Then you'll have to decide if you want an super-easy player experience like iTunes, or, if you like fooling around with computers, something else like Foobar and a ripping program.

Steve
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2009, 05:45 am by srb »

lcrim

Hi John:
I started out about 5 or so years ago to try out PC audio with a similar laptop and I would absolutely recommend against using it.
The internal noise on those Dells on the USB output is simply unsolvable.  Pops and crackles every so often drove me crazy.  I removed or disabled anything that would use resources and even had a program that reset the interrupt priorities on the bus and still pops and crackles.
I eventually moved the whole shooting match including the storage drives to another location and have modded SqueezeBoxes.  Recently, because I have time on my hands, I ran ethernet cables to all components and getting rid of the wireless cards improved the sound noticeably.

Since you already have the HRT device, my recommendation would be a Mac and look into the Amarra package for Itunes.
You may legally make additional copies of music you own but selling the originals would make it  a no-no in the US.  In Germany it may not make a difference.

WGH

I have found that Windows Vista has better sound quality than XP so my laptop with Vista is networked to my main computer which still runs XP. The laptop is a Toshiba M3050-S4830 with no ticks or pops over the USB bus.

Wayne

mcgsxr

Not insane, no.

I thought about it, and even bought a used Dell laptop for it, but the kids poached it!

So I picked up a used Dell small form factor PC, and have not looked back.  Running headless and wired, with external HD's.

srb

I was unaware of the Dell laptops (certain models, all models?) having shaky USB implementation.  But if that were the case, adding a USB external drive would only exacerbate the situation.

Because John did mention "....trying financial times...", I imagine acquisition of a Macbook and Amarra player would be something for the future.

Since you have the HRT Music Streamer USB DAC, you could download iTunes from http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/, rip a few CDs and see how it sounds.  If it did sound good (no snaps, crackles or pops), the unknown variable would be how a USB external drive might affect the USB bus.

Anyway, if you do have 2000 CDs to put into a library, my rough estimates for storage space would still apply!

Steve

rwdrey

Give your laptop a try, maybe you won't have the same problems Larry had. I'm using an older HP laptop(XP), iTunes,  Apple lossless files, 1.5 TB external HD, & Havanna USB dac. Sounds wonderful & listening never been more fun!!! The HRT streamer supposed to be a very good DAC. Have fun & ask questions.

lcrim

I can't tell you what models are included but my former firm was part of a buying group that had to buy Dell Latitudes.   The first few years of USB 2.0 was a problem period.  We added a pcmcia USB 2.0 card to avoid all the service calls we were getting.
When we got one back at the end of the 3 year term, I got it for a small charge.  Prior to that I was unaware of the noise issue.  It isn't noticeable in streaming from a HDD to Squeeze Server, only when playing back from foobar through USB and using ASIO4All to avoid KMixer.
The OP, who is in Germany, probably won't see this until tomorrow.  A cheaper solution using the already purchased HRT would be to purchase a Netbook roughly $300-$400.  The Dell can be your storage device w/attached HDD's for storage.
Try the Dell as your server w/ foobar or Winamp as your player.  You need to learn about ASIO4ALL or Kernal Streaming to avoid KMixer.  Maybe you'll have better luck than I did but the early implementation of USB 2 was, I thought, a known problem.

hatehifi

Thanks Steve, Larry (met at 'Ampino' - noticed your mentioning server-based), Wayne and Mark,

I took the liberty to modify my first message. Never thought about the implication. And me 'proud' of my meager ten copies. Answers why my wealthy Sooloos-owner friend has his CD collection stored in boxes... Duh!  :duh:

My first letdown with the Dell D800 was the USB port not supplying 250mA draw, whether battery or mains. Two weeks back and forth on German 'computer' forums (not where I should hang out - kind of an anti-nerd here) bothering people not believing my Dell was so weak. Then another two weeks with Dell Support (even spent $30 on Dell's pay-for-call hotline without having gotten anybody 'real' on the phone - I suppose more expensive than phone-sex; not for me!), with the final conclusion (twelve mails, six each way...), ta-da, that without an external powered HUB, no chance. I've meanwhile a powered USB HUB (older generation made for the German Aldi food store chain - usually high quality goods) for roughly $5 via ePay en route to me.

I can follow the logic behind hard-wiring and better sonics. I can re-sell my Dell for roughly what I paid (~$300). I am not desperately short on funds. My codex to only 're-invest' hardware capital [into my hi-fi hobby], that is, only use proceeds from sales for new investments appears self-supportive. I've got roughly up to $1,000 to invest into this project (and this without selling my MWI 9100 SigTruth, worth ~$2.2K, cash I should disburse outside of the hobby but couple hundred $ could be allocated if needed), maybe $1.5 - $1.8k total. And as Larry mentions, yes, I already have a 'highend' DAC (which 'loves', was designed to embrace, WinMedia Player, WinAmp, or iTunes) and USB IC.

I thought of storage space as Steve suggests and guessed this would take the largest bite out of my budget. But, first I should get my bearings on storage [and user-] interface. Another drawback I've encountered, before even getting to step two, is that EAC (freeware - which I 'thought' was my 'answer') doesn't even find my laptops' drive...

Maybe I should re-word this topic, "Anybody crazy enough to assist an inept PC user with little clue...?"

Any suggestions? I saw a modified Squeezebox 2 for sale here for a grand. How about Sonos? Or are these options 'luxuries,' down-the-road?

Till I ran into the HRT Music Streamer+ I lusted for Dan's MWI Transporter but like the Squeezbox or Sonos, it too must be fed. Obviously my starting point. If I'm better off now going MacApple - then this should be my first step or? I had a stint with a noteworthy CPA company and one of the partners was mega-savvy and gave me the tip to "take a long time in planning, then stick to it no matter what" (as changes downstream are expensive and destructive, etc.).

Thanks again and cheers!