Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #680 on: 31 Aug 2010, 11:58 pm »

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #681 on: 1 Sep 2010, 12:14 am »
Hi Bill,

Do you have units in stock?  My trigger finger is gettin' twitchy.

If not next shipment is expected when?

Thanks

-Mike

Hi Mike,

Shipment arrived a couple of days ago, sorry but I didn't see this message earlier otherwise I would have commented sooner.

Thanks Steve for watching out. much appreciated.
 Kindest Regards,
 Bill

mfsoa

« Reply #682 on: 1 Sep 2010, 01:08 am »
Sheesh, Bill, you took all of like one hour to get back to me, so no sorries needed!

Thanks for the info!

-Mike

mfsoa

« Reply #683 on: 3 Sep 2010, 02:23 am »
Just ordered mine

ltr317

« Reply #684 on: 3 Sep 2010, 02:25 am »
Just ordered mine

Congrats Mike.  :thumb:  Now don't go tube rolling so fast.  :lol:

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #685 on: 5 Sep 2010, 01:27 pm »
I got my DAC several weeks ago and I am very very pleased with the build and sound. Both my wife and I prefer the tube to the SS. The SABRE chip beats my AKM chip in my Slimdevice transporter hands down. This is the first bit of tube gear that I have owned and would like to do some tube rolling. First of all what is the make of the standard EE DAC tube? I dont  want the sound to be any "warmer" but would like to try a tube that gives the mids and highs a lift. I would welcome any suggestions. Also I assume when you replace the tube that you simply pull not twist it out of the socket and insert the new tube (power off of course).

thanks
David
« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2010, 04:41 pm by David C »

Gopher

« Reply #686 on: 5 Sep 2010, 03:19 pm »
the 12au7 that comes in the unit is a Chinese Shunaung.  Replace it!  The DAC will respond very positively.

If you're interested I've got an extra Mullard CV4003 and a NOS Siemens Silverplate.  I think those are the two most popular tube choices for the EE DAC.

Kinger

« Reply #687 on: 5 Sep 2010, 03:37 pm »
+1 on Gopher's comment about rolling in another tube.  Really enhances the sound out of it.  Personally, I went with this Mullard http://www.upscaleaudio.com/Mullard-Old-Logo-12AU7ECC82_p_247.html and have been thrilled with the resulting sound.  Another one that seems to be somewhat popular and may not be quite as dark is this one.......http://www.upscaleaudio.com/Cifte-12AU7WA_p_36.html

As for taking the tube out, yes you want to pull it straight out and not twist it.  There is a tube retaining clip on there though that will need to be twisted a quarter turn.  I think that's talked about in the instructions..........

David C

« Reply #688 on: 5 Sep 2010, 04:23 pm »
Gopher and Kinger
thanks for the responses and Gopher the offer of the tubes. I will have a look at the links and may come back on the offer. I really like the DAC and look forward to hearing it with a new tube. By the way have you all toyed with the volume setting. I am currently running mine just a bit backed off from full volume. Also I only had an optical connect and will be moving to a coax connection from Blue Jeans cable

PeteG

« Reply #689 on: 5 Sep 2010, 04:35 pm »
+1 on Gopher's comment about rolling in another tube.  Really enhances the sound out of it.  Personally, I went with this Mullard http://www.upscaleaudio.com/Mullard-Old-Logo-12AU7ECC82_p_247.html and have been thrilled with the resulting sound.  Another one that seems to be somewhat popular and may not be quite as dark is this one.......http://www.upscaleaudio.com/Cifte-12AU7WA_p_36.html

As for taking the tube out, yes you want to pull it straight out and not twist it.  There is a tube retaining clip on there though that will need to be twisted a quarter turn.  I think that's talked about in the instructions..........

Been using the Mullard CV4003 but I'm going to give the Cifte 12AU7WA a try.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #690 on: 5 Sep 2010, 04:42 pm »
David,

Buy Gopher's Siemens Silverplate 12au7 would be my suggestion, the highs and mids you are looking for can be found in that tube.

Have a great Holiday weekend!
 Bill

David C

« Reply #691 on: 5 Sep 2010, 05:03 pm »
Bill
thanks and I have PMed Gopher. Labor day is one of my fav holidays but living in the UK not one I can take off (as you can imagine 4th of July is also not big in the UK for obvious reasons). I hope you get some time off and enjoy. The DAC has been really great and a first class service from you. Great build quality and wonderful sound. I have my eye on one of your amps but need to wait until I return in May. Thanks for shipping the DAC to my neighbors at our retirement home in SC. Everything worked out great. By the way it is difficult to follow all the threads but what is your favorite interconnect to the DAC??? and any adivce on where to run the volume control.

thanks again David

Kinger

« Reply #692 on: 5 Sep 2010, 06:08 pm »
Running mine at full volume and with a coax connection.  In my particular system, I didn't notice any change in sound (other than less volume) at settings less than full.
« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2010, 01:18 am by Kinger »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #693 on: 5 Sep 2010, 11:33 pm »
I didn't read through the whole thread, so please excuse me if this is redundant, but I really wish there was a version of the EE DAC with balanced outputs!!!  Is there?  Is there a mod for going to balanced --- for TRUE balanced outputs, not a "one side grounded" adapter type thing?  Thanks to anyone who can help.
-Tommy

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #694 on: 6 Sep 2010, 03:41 am »
Tommy,

As of right now there is not a balanced version but in the future it will be possible. How far away that is I just don't know but we have had a couple requests for throwing a few different things into the DAC.

Tbadder1

« Reply #695 on: 6 Sep 2010, 11:09 pm »
I'm another who would jump immediately if a fully balanced version appeared. 

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #696 on: 6 Sep 2010, 11:40 pm »
I'm another who would jump immediately if a fully balanced version appeared.
Also looking to skip the preamp???

Tbadder1

« Reply #697 on: 7 Sep 2010, 03:01 pm »
Yeah, I've always been slightly suspicious of preamps and currently run a passive that I'm very happy with, and since I've always been a single source guy, I don't know that I need a pre.

Levi

« Reply #698 on: 7 Sep 2010, 03:33 pm »
Congrats Mike (MFSOA) on your new EE Dac! 

The EE DAC is made to fit an specific price point.  It can be made to sound better more/less feature...just be ready to pay for the that.  Ask Wayne. ;)

@Tommy, perhaps modify it for our friend Mike. LOL!

Audioclyde

« Reply #699 on: 7 Sep 2010, 11:36 pm »
OK, I've tried a number of tubes in the last few weeks; my favorites to date have been just a regular Siemens, a long plate Mullard (can't read the etched codes well enough to guess its vintage) and a Brimar 13D5. 

I've got a Siemens silverplate, but it hasn't been able to totally win me over yet; kinda of the same with the Valvo red label gold pin E80CC.  I stumbled across a Mullard gold pin 10M (Master Series) 12au7 and put it in today....I've only listened an hour or so now, but I think I've found my new favorite!!  It seems to combine the best points of the Siemens (detail and extension), while retaining that smooth Mullard midrange to die for  :)!  Plus, I think its the soundstage champion of all the tubes I've tried so far.

The great news is that this one didn't cost much comparatively, certainly less than the Siemens silverplates go for; the bad news is that they seem to be pretty hard to find and are pricey when you do find them.  But if any of you have a chance to try one of these, I highly recommend it.

Randy