Reviewers that Purchase Review Samples

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Reviewers that Purchase Review Samples
« on: 21 Oct 2009, 08:43 pm »
Hi All,

Got this email today and thought you would enjoy a smile at my response - no answer yet.

James,

Reviewer Brett ******* would like to know the accommodation price for the 9B Squared he is reviewing.

Thanks,
Micah

Hi Micah,

Retail $6,695
For Reviewers that write bad reviews on it - $9000.00
For Reviewers that write good reviews on it 50% off retail.

James

TomS

Re: Reviewers that Purchase Review Samples
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2009, 08:47 pm »
Hi All,

Got this email today and thought you would enjoy a smile at my response ? no answer yet.

James,

Reviewer Brett ******* would like to know the accommodation price for the 9B Squared he is reviewing.

Thanks,
Micah

Hi Micah,

Retail $6,695

James
I'd be willing to say something really nice about the 28b's for 50 points :wink:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2009, 01:54 am »
Yeah, I can write a review for my magazine!

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2009, 10:19 pm »
"Sharpens pencil?" Perhaps a rebate could be in order aa

Stu Pitt

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2009, 01:32 pm »
Can I get a BDA-1 review sample for a magazine I'm about to start? :lol:

maxwalrath

« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2009, 01:40 pm »
Isn't it unethical to ask for preferred pricing before a review is written?  If this is just the way it's done, fine...I'm not saying the reviewer, magazine or Bryston is doing anything outside of the industry standard...but if this really is the way it's done, am I the only one who sees a problem with it?  Every half assed reviewer mentions if he bought the review sample as evidence of how much he believes in the product, and the price of the product seems to be highly negotiable  :scratch: .  If huge discounts are the norm, I'd say it's a little unethical to offer preferred pricing even in a joking manner. 

maxwalrath

« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2009, 02:05 pm »
Just to clarify, if this is the norm, I think Bryston would be at a competitive disadvantage if they didn't join the rest of the industry in offering discounts...so I'm not trying to say the manufacturer is bad in this case at all.

95Dyna

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2009, 02:24 pm »
Isn't it unethical to ask for preferred pricing before a review is written?  If this is just the way it's done, fine...I'm not saying the reviewer, magazine or Bryston is doing anything outside of the industry standard...but if this really is the way it's done, am I the only one who sees a problem with it?  Every half assed reviewer mentions if he bought the review sample as evidence of how much he believes in the product, and the price of the product seems to be highly negotiable  :scratch: .  If huge discounts are the norm, I'd say it's a little unethical to offer preferred pricing even in a joking manner.

For cryin' out loud maxwalrath, lighten up :roll:

maxwalrath

« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2009, 02:28 pm »

Really?  You don't see even the appearance of a conflict?  What if this situation was happening in another industry? 

...not sure why I'm responding here...I guess you didn't actually say anything to refute what I did.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2009, 02:32 pm »
Just to clarify, if this is the norm, I think Bryston would be at a competitive disadvantage if they didn't join the rest of the industry in offering discounts...so I'm not trying to say the manufacturer is bad in this case at all.

Hi maxwalrath,

No it is not the norm as I was just being flippent - trying to be funny -guess it backfired on me :duh: - lesson learned.

Yes it is common if a reviewer likes a product to ask for an accomodation price but it is NEVER done to elicit a review.  The review has to be written and ready to be publish before any accomodation is discussed.

james

maxwalrath

« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2009, 02:35 pm »

Hi maxwalrath,

No it is not the norm as I was just being flippent - trying to be funny -guess it backfired on me :duh: - lesson learned.

Yes it is common if a reviewer likes a product to ask for an accomodation price but it is NEVER done to elicit a review.  The review has to be written and ready to be publish before any accomodation is discussed.

james

Thanks for the reply James.  I can definitely understand a demo price after a review is written...and your response was definitely funny (I laughed at it a bunch of times before thinking about the ethical dilemma I came up with).  It just wasn't clear that reviews are typically wrapped up before the matter of price comes up, and now it's clear. 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2009, 02:48 pm »
Manufacturers have been known to forget to request the return of a review sample. This is particularly likely if the item is a cable or an equipment rack, although I am aware of situations where electronics were involved. The manufacturer retains ownership technically but I imagine they just write the stuff off their books. Many a nod and wink arrangement goes unmentioned and unnoticed. Human nature tends to taint every form of commerce.

95Dyna

« Reply #12 on: 23 Oct 2009, 02:49 pm »

Really?  You don't see even the appearance of a conflict?  What if this situation was happening in another industry? 

...not sure why I'm responding here...I guess you didn't actually say anything to refute what I did.

Of course I do but in this context it was pure levity.  I wasn't refuting anything you said just your attempt to change the intended tone of the thread.  No hard feelings :thumb:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #13 on: 23 Oct 2009, 03:09 pm »
Hi All,

Got this email today and thought you would enjoy a smile at my response ? no answer yet.

James,

Thanks,
Micah

Hi Micah,

Retail $6,695

James
I'd be willing to say something really nice about the 28b's for 50 points :wink:

:lol:good one, Tom!

al.

jamesgarvin

« Reply #14 on: 23 Oct 2009, 03:14 pm »
Does that include reviews on Audiocircle? I feel the need to borrow a unit from a dealer this weekend.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #15 on: 23 Oct 2009, 08:48 pm »

Hi maxwalrath,

james

Sigh... and I almost finished my review :wink:

Please note that the previous statement was only intended as satire and any resemblance to an individual living or deceased and/or any corporation is purely coincidental...