Salk vs Dynaudio (my "mini" speaker quest)

coke

Salk vs Dynaudio (my "mini" speaker quest)
« on: 19 Oct 2009, 11:34 pm »
I apologize  for the long post, but I hope you'll take the time to read and hopefully help me out with this decision.

I recently went an auditioned the following speakers:

Focal Chorus 836V
Focal Profile 918
Definitive Technology Mythos STS
Klipsch RF82
Klipsch WF-35
Thiel CS2.4
Paradigm Studio 60
Paradigm Signature W5
Dynaudio Contour s 1.4

Before this day I didn't have much experience with high end audio. I'd heard a mid priced system consisting of Paradigm, and  another with klipsch speakers. My father owns a pair of Dynaco A35s. I have a car stereo with really high end speakers (top of the line Image Dynamics).  I  own a pair of etymotic er4-p headphones.  I also have some speakers i built using Vifa drivers.  Because of this, I wasn't sure what to expect, or what price range i'd needed to look at in order to fit my needs.  One thing i did know though, was that I had never heard a speaker I was completely satisfied with. 

I do know a little more than the average person when it comes to audio. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering, have worked in home audio and video in the past, and have been involved with home and car stereos for the past 8 years. I had just never had the budget to look at anything on this level, so my experience with high end audio is very limited.

Throughout the auditions, i was mostly unimpressed.  I thought that everything in this price range would sound amazing, but I was wrong.  Most of the speakers had very apparent flaws.  Two that stood out though were the Theil and Dynaudio.

As my day of auditions was coming to an end, we went to a Dynaudio dealer.   They had a pair of contour s 1.4 on display.  My initial impression was visual, and I thought that there was no way I would pay $3000+ for bookshelf speakers.  Once I sat down and listened though, my opinion changed. The Dynaudios were amazing.  I was taking notes the entire day while listening to the same songs, writing down flaws.  During this last audition, i found myself unable to write anything negative down.  We started talking prices, and on an impulse, I came home with an Integra 40.1 preamp, Anthem MCA 50, 2 Dynaudio Contour s 1.4, a Contour S C, and a pair of Contour S R.  Roughly a 20% discount, which put all the dynaudio speakers at a lower cost than a similar system consisting of salk veracity. (already have a 15" Dayton titanic with 1000W RMS amp)

I have been pleased with these speakers.  The sound is amazing.  My mother recently visited and watched a movie at my house, and also watched a Joss Stone dvd she owns.  She was very impressed, and decided she wanted me to build her an identical system.

This leaves me with a couple options.  I could keep everything I have, or I could sell it to her and buy myself a set of salk speakers.  I might not be able to afford everything at once, but I would eventually end up with HT2 TL, HTC, and HT1.   If i go the salk route, i'd start with HT2 TL and spend roughly $2000 on a 2 channel amp or a pair of monos like emotive xpa-1.  Undecided on preamp as of now.

Now to my question.  Has anyone compared Salk to Dynaudio or possibly any of the other speakers i listed?   

Mids and highs are my priority.  I do like dynamics, and bass is a plus, but I prefer the mids and highs to be correct first.  I do not like "boomy" speakers or speakers with an unnatural amount of bass.

I spend a lot of time listening to music in the dark, and I know salk speakers have amazing craftsmanship, but that isn't going to be a deciding factor for me.

Any comments are appreciated, and thanks in advance

rahimlee54

Re: Salk vs Dynaudio (my "mini" speaker quest)
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2009, 11:56 pm »
I cant compare the two, but I think if you already know what you want, you should make the drive and have a listen for yourself.  Salk does however have a return policy if you dont like what you hear.

Just my .02, others  will very.

Jared

K Shep

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2009, 12:19 am »
When it comes to mid-range the Salk ribbon tweeters are some of the best I've heard.  I say ribbon tweeters, because of the point you brought up about budget.  The SongTower ribbon tweeters are less expensive than the HT2-TL and the difference is in the low frequency (other very small differences, but lets make it simple for now).  The vocal and string instrument clarity of the Salks is that of which you must hear if you are serious about making the change in speakers. 

You are now able to afford high-end gear, take the time and make this adventure fun.

Kirk

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2009, 12:41 am »
Hi Coke     Where are you located?

coke

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2009, 12:42 am »
Eastern Oklahoma

I emailed Jim Salk, and said he'd try to find some I can audition. 

funkmonkey

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2009, 01:17 am »
Sounds like you are going about it the right way...  audition them first.

If you are looking for mids and highs you might want to check out whatever Dali's current offerings are in your price range, they were probably my second favorite (next to Salks) during my speakerquest.  The Helicon series is where they started to sound really good to my ears.  I only mentioned them because I liked some of Dynaudio's speakers as well, but did not care for the Thiels.  You will be hard pressed to match the smoothness and clarity that all of Jim's speakers offer.  If you like what you hear on your Salk audition I think your plan is a good one.  And since looks don't seem to matter to you too much, you could save a few bucks and just have Jim slap some paint on the cabinets and bypass the veneer cost.

Good luck in your decision

coke

« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2009, 01:24 am »
Sounds like you are going about it the right way...  audition them first.

If you are looking for mids and highs you might want to check out whatever Dali's current offerings are in your price range, they were probably my second favorite (next to Salks) during my speakerquest.  The Helicon series is where they started to sound really good to my ears.  I only mentioned them because I liked some of Dynaudio's speakers as well, but did not care for the Thiels.  You will be hard pressed to match the smoothness and clarity that all of Jim's speakers offer.  If you like what you hear on your Salk audition I think your plan is a good one.  And since looks don't seem to matter to you too much, you could save a few bucks and just have Jim slap some paint on the cabinets and bypass the veneer cost.

Good luck in your decision

Yeah i'm actually satisfied with the Dynaudios, but there's always room to upgrade.  I know there is a 30 day return policy, but i'd really like to audition a pair before I commit to selling mine and buying the salks.

I didn't like the theils nearly as much as the Dynaudios, but they were the 2nd best from what I auditioned.  I'll see if i can find some Dalis.

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2009, 02:04 am »
Auditioning before you buy is a great idea, so stick to it. 

I own a pair of SongTower RT's, I've heard the HT2 TL's numerous times (TJHUB can attest to that) and it just so happens I spent some intimate time with the exact speakers you own.  The first time was at a Wisconsin Audio GTG over a year ago, and the second time was about 3 weeks ago under better conditions.  I originally wrote a review for the first audition at AVS forum, but after reading your post I went back and edited a few things, mainly because I liked the Dyn's a lot better the second time around (in a treated room).  Here is the link to that review, and the update to it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=13130291&postcount=640

Without getting too much into it, the 1.4's tweeter was pretty darn good, though it sometimes walked the line of too bright.  This could have been the recordings, however.  Also, while I was initially impressed with the bass punch of such a tiny woofer during the first audition, after spending more time with it I determined it was slightly bloated for my tastes.  However, upon re-auditioning at the beginning of the month, the bass boom was gone, which proves the room contributed to it.  This also helped clear up the midrange, which was warm and engaging.

Two thumbs up to your Dyn's!   :thumb:  Now, would I take them or the SongTowers...?  Let's just say I'll be hanging on to what I already own.  Now in comparison to the HT2 TL's, I can honestly say they are superior to the Dyn's in every way (more extended and punchy bass, but without being boomy.  A more detailed midrange.  Slightly smoother highs, without losing any air or detail).  Considering they are more expensive and Internet Direct, they should be, though.   :D

Of course, this is only my opinion and YMMV.  If I was you and already loved the Dyn's, I certainly wouldn't make a purchase until auditioning the HT2 TL first.  I would also be extremely happy to own the Dyn's, the HT2 TL's or my current speakers (duh to the last one).  Personally I say it's win win with whichever you choose.

Enjoy!

Just my $0.02

coke

« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2009, 02:13 am »
Auditioning before you buy is a great idea, so stick to it. 

I own a pair of SongTower RT's, I've heard the HT2 TL's numerous times (TJHUB can attest to that) and it just so happens I spent some intimate time with the exact speakers you own.  The first time was at a Wisconsin Audio GTG over a year ago, and the second time was about 3 weeks ago under better conditions.  I originally wrote a review for the first audition at AVS forum, but after reading your post I went back and edited a few things, mainly because I liked the Dyn's a lot better the second time around (in a treated room).  Here is the link to that review, and the update to it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=13130291&postcount=640

Without getting too much into it, the 1.4's tweeter was pretty darn good, though it sometimes walked the line of too bright.  This could have been the recordings, however.  Also, while I was initially impressed with the bass punch of such a tiny woofer during the first audition, after spending more time with it I determined it was slightly bloated for my tastes.  However, upon re-auditioning at the beginning of the month, the bass boom was gone, which proves the room contributed to it.  This also helped clear up the midrange, which was warm and engaging.

Two thumbs up to your Dyn's!   :thumb:  Now, would I take them or the SongTowers...?  Let's just say I'll be hanging on to what I already own.  Now in comparison to the HT2 TL's, I can honestly say they are superior to the Dyn's in every way (more extended and punchy bass, but without being boomy.  A more detailed midrange.  Slightly smoother highs, without losing any air or detail).  Considering they are more expensive and Internet Direct, they should be, though.   :D

Of course, this is only my opinion and YMMV.  If I was you and already loved the Dyn's, I certainly wouldn't make a purchase until auditioning the HT2 TL first.  I would also be extremely happy to own the Dyn's, the HT2 TL's or my current speakers (duh to the last one).  Personally I say it's win win with whichever you choose.

Enjoy!

Just my $0.02

One of the issues i'm having is that my room is small, and the Dyns are about 1' from the wall. I think this contributes some to boomy bass you mentioned, which is the one fault i can find in the speakers.  It does seem to be improving though as they break in.  I'm also about half way finished installing thick, heavy curtains around my room.  the sound has improved drastically since i've started doing this. 

What i paid for the s 1.4 after the discount is similar to the songtower rt. From your post, it seems that to justify selling mine, I need to be considering the HT2 TLs. 

I'm going to see if i can find a pair to listen to.

Thanks for the help

jwes

« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2009, 07:24 pm »

If you are looking for mids and highs you might want to check out whatever Dali's current offerings are in your price range, they were probably my second favorite (next to Salks) during my speakerquest.  The Helicon series is where they started to sound really good to my ears.  I

Funkmonkey,

Very interested in your evaluation of Dali's vs. Salks if you have any more to add here.  I say this because I currently use the Euphonia MS4's (above the Helicon line), and it would be from these that I would transition to Salks - probably HT3's or the new smaller 10" soundscape/HT4.  Now, the HT3's are less expensive by a lot, but I was getting convinced that they might have a better overall presentation, and still cover that midrange/high magic of the Dali's.  Anyway, just curious to hear more if you have any on this...

Jim

K Shep

« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2009, 08:59 pm »
jwes,

Kudos on your system, well done Sir!

Kirk

Audioclyde

« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2009, 09:07 pm »
Coke,

I can't help re Salks, but I'm in Tulsa.  I used to own 2 different Thiels, first the 2.2's and then the 3.6's.  That's been some years ago, but I still respect Thiels.

I'm now running Daedalus Audio DA-RMa's (after some modded JM Lab Micro Utopia's), powered by tube amplification.  If you'd like to listen sometime, shoot me a pm.

Randy

jwes

« Reply #12 on: 20 Oct 2009, 09:26 pm »
jwes,

Kudos on your system, well done Sir!

Kirk

Hi Kirk,

Thanks very much!  Actually that system is a direct result of helpful people from AC, and surprisingly generous help from Srajan at 6moons.  Now if I could only have your attic!!

Jim

K Shep

« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2009, 09:56 pm »
Now if I could only have your attic!!

I will take this opportunity to post the latest photos of said attic.  Computer front end "work station" as Nuance has deemed it.

Kirk

funkmonkey

« Reply #14 on: 20 Oct 2009, 11:11 pm »

If you are looking for mids and highs you might want to check out whatever Dali's current offerings are in your price range, they were probably my second favorite (next to Salks) during my speakerquest.  The Helicon series is where they started to sound really good to my ears.  I

Funkmonkey,

Very interested in your evaluation of Dali's vs. Salks if you have any more to add here.  I say this because I currently use the Euphonia MS4's (above the Helicon line), and it would be from these that I would transition to Salks - probably HT3's or the new smaller 10" soundscape/HT4.  Now, the HT3's are less expensive by a lot, but I was getting convinced that they might have a better overall presentation, and still cover that midrange/high magic of the Dali's.  Anyway, just curious to hear more if you have any on this...

Jim

Hi Jim-  I'll keep it short here (don't want to be accused of hijacking or anything).
In a nutshell I thought the Dali sound was a little toward the warmer side of neutral where I found the Salks to be very neutral.  Midrange on the Salks is perhaps a shade more forward.  The highs were close, but using the same recordings I heard a little bit of glare on the Helicons, that I did not hear on the HT3.  To my ears the HT3 had the smoothest most natural sounding high end that I heard, and I had listened to a fair number of speakers in my search.

If you are interested in my initial impressions, they can be found at AVS in my Speakerquest thread:
link to Dali Helicon 300 impressions
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=13370436&postcount=286
link to impressions of my HT3 audition
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=13397626&postcount=351

Cheers,
Greg
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2009, 01:57 am by funkmonkey »

coke

« Reply #15 on: 20 Oct 2009, 11:53 pm »
Coke,

I can't help re Salks, but I'm in Tulsa.  I used to own 2 different Thiels, first the 2.2's and then the 3.6's.  That's been some years ago, but I still respect Thiels.

I'm now running Daedalus Audio DA-RMa's (after some modded JM Lab Micro Utopia's), powered by tube amplification.  If you'd like to listen sometime, shoot me a pm.

Randy

Thanks for the offer.  I looked at the website though, and it looks like they are out of my price range.  I originally started at $1500 a pair, then moved to $2,000, then $3000.  I think I'm going to try to stop around $4000 a pair.  Still have to buy amps, preamp, and eventually the rest of a 5.1 system, so my funds are being stretched. 

I know it's off topic, but i'm curious if anyone has any experience with Anthem amps, and how they would compare to something like an Emotiva XPA-2.  I got an Anthem MCA 50 for around half retail with full 5 year warranty and was going to sell it, but might keep it.

Nuance

« Reply #16 on: 20 Oct 2009, 11:56 pm »
Kirk - I deemed it the "command center," buddy.  It just sounds way cooler than "workstation."  :)

K Shep

« Reply #17 on: 21 Oct 2009, 12:03 am »
Your right.  Work station?  What was I thinking?  Just don't start calling me Captain Kirk.

srb

« Reply #18 on: 21 Oct 2009, 12:07 am »
Kirk - I deemed it the "command center," buddy.  It just sounds way cooler than "workstation."  :)

Nice Command Center.  Where is the Dilithium Crystal access port?

Steve

K Shep

« Reply #19 on: 21 Oct 2009, 12:35 am »

Nice Command Center.  Where is the Dilithium Crystal access port?

Steve

This is exactly what I didn't want.  I threw the thread of course with my selfish photo post and now it has gotten even worse.

I know, I know, beam me up Scotty.