Better RM/X photos

ekovalsky

Better RM/X photos
« on: 7 Jan 2004, 08:56 pm »
Here are a few more I took today during a listening break.

I'm 6'2" for reference.  Partially invisible too  :lol:

Speakers are slightly shorter and wider than listed on the VMPS website (72" x 14.5" x 20", with bass adding about 2.5" addition to the depth and width).  I was wondering how the 12" passive radiator would fit in a cabinet only 12.5" wide...

I've started a little tuning.  The pots are set at 12:00 (left channel was at 5:00 from the factory, right channel at 1:00 ???) and three fingernail-fulls of putty have been removed from each passive radiator, about the size of a pea.

Tweeter head tops are parallel to the top of the speaker cabinet for now.  

nathanm

Better RM/X photos
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2004, 09:44 pm »
These new RM\X photos feature a very wide and tall soundstage, but with noticeable grain and a rather unflatteringly colored midrange.  However, the center image is quite transparent and almost palpable.  It is almost like you can see the singer in front of you.

ekovalsky

Better RM/X photos
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2004, 09:48 pm »
You should work for Stereophile or TAS  :lol:

ARAM

Better RM/X photos
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2004, 11:51 pm »
Ekovalsky,,  are you  the  second   RM/X  owner??

ekovalsky

Better RM/X photos
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2004, 12:45 am »
These are the pairs I know of:

CBartolomei (two of the three from last year's CES).  He has pics in the gallery I think.

Julian (dealer demo)

Roop (dealer demo)

Me  :mrgreen:

I believe the cabinets initially built for me (walnut) will be used by Brian as his demo pair.  Long story, don't ask  :nono:

Then there is the third cabinet from the 2003 CES trinaural setup.  I suspect it found a mate and was sold as a pair, but I'm not sure.

Big B had at least one other pair of piano black cabinets ready to build, so I expect someone else will have a pair soon.

Also I'm not sure if other VMPS dealers (e.g. Dynamic Sound, Ribbonspeakers.Net) will be getting demo pairs at some point. I remember reading that one pair was possibly earmarked for Anthony Cordesman too  :o

Quote from: ARAM
Ekovalsky,,  are you  the  second   RM/X  owner??

J Harris

Better RM/X photos
« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2004, 03:21 am »
LOL Nathan!!!

J!

ARAM

Better RM/X photos
« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2004, 12:29 pm »
The  size  of  the  speakers  are  almost  completely  different  than  what they are  stated  on  the  website..first  they  are  just  6ft  2"  tall  because  you  say you  are  6ft  2"..there  is  a  10  cm  difference..so  they are   just  188  cm  high..and  the  width;  there  is  a  two  inch  difference..I  wonder  why these  differences   are?: or  maybe  Ekovalsky is  taller  than  he  thinks :lol: .Ekovalsky  you  must  be  6  ft  6". :mrgreen:
  so  they  are  actually   37  cm  wide  and   188  cm  high..(instead   of  32 cm  and  198 cm)

rkapadia@ROOP

• Industry Participant
Better RM/X photos
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2004, 04:38 pm »
ARAM, if you look at the first picture where EK is standing you'll notice you can perfectly make out the PS Audio gear behind him.  This leads me to believe the image of him is a layer from another photo, and probably not exactly proportional.  Otherwise, EK has a selectable transparency switch on his digital camera  :o

Regards,

ekovalsky

Better RM/X photos
« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2004, 04:59 pm »
Actually it was a 30sec exposure on a tripod, I just walked into place during the exposure and stayed there for about 15 sec.

rkapadia@ROOP

• Industry Participant
Better RM/X photos
« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2004, 03:27 am »
"Old people" style of photography ;).  Limited exposure is before my time.

nathanm

Imperial Entanglements
« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2004, 07:29 am »

vpolineni

Better RM/X photos
« Reply #11 on: 9 Jan 2004, 07:45 am »
Does that make Big B yoda?   :lol:

Redbone

Better RM/X photos
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2004, 01:08 am »
Freakin great, I am still laughing.  Perhaps you have too much time on your hands but I appreciate your humorous insight.

nathanm

Better RM/X photos
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jan 2004, 01:20 am »
Oh come now, there's 2,155 people around here with too much time on their hands! :P

I'm serious though, with speakers like those it behooves a person to go for a Star Wars-style interior decoration project.  But that's just me...:)

Sa-dono

Better RM/X photos
« Reply #14 on: 10 Jan 2004, 01:53 am »
Quote from: vpolineni
Does that make Big B yoda?   :lol:

He's Big B..so he must be Chewy! :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Imperial Entanglements
« Reply #15 on: 10 Jan 2004, 09:23 am »
Quote from: nathanm
Nathan , Working your "Magic " again , funny stuff !! :lol: (But thats the thought that comes to mind when seeing those speakers!)

Val

Better RM/X photos
« Reply #16 on: 10 Jan 2004, 02:04 pm »
I am with Nathan, LOL!