My gallery is up and running

Darren Thomas

« on: 21 Jan 2003, 04:16 am »
Well, I finally got some pictures of some of my work up in a gallery here. Thought I'd share with the people who were interested in viewing some of my work. More to come of course :)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=25

Have fun.

Darren Thomas

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Good stuff Darren
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2003, 04:44 am »
That subwoofer cabinet looks killer!  Getting excellent results with this kind of construction is beyond my level of ability.  Your works looks exceptional.

What was the volume and weight of the subwoover cabinet when completed.  How do you ship something like this?  Large/heavy cabinets are difficult to ship.  They are also darn heavy to move around the workshop.  

Dave

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2003, 06:55 am »
Darren,

Are those Al's 1801's? While I spent more time listening to them rather than looking at them, I will say that they turned out rather nice.

Darren Thomas

Re: Good stuff Darren
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2003, 02:22 pm »
Quote from: David Ellis
That subwoofer cabinet looks killer!  Getting excellent results with this kind of construction is beyond my level of ability.  Your works looks exceptional.

What was the volume and weight of the subwoover cabinet when completed.  How do you ship something like this?  Large/heavy cabinets are difficult to ship.  They are also darn heavy to move around the workshop.  

Dave

Thanks Dave!

It is a 214 liter enclosure, I think that comes to nearly 9 square feet. It is about 32" tall, 24" wide and 22" deep. It weighs in at about 175 lbs... this is a guess from the weight of the individual materials, haven't had the guts to try and weigh it yet. I haven't shipped such a beast yet, I suppose using a freight carrier would be a good option, not sure what UPSs weight limit is :)

Darren

Darren Thomas

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2003, 02:24 pm »
Quote from: bubba966
Darren,

Are those Al's 1801's? While I spent more time listening to them rather than looking at them, I will say that they turned out rather nice.

Hi Bubba966,

The 1801's pictured in my gallery are actually Ravi's. I built Al's 1801's also but didn't apply the finish, I did the finish for Ravi's though. I'm going to ask Al if I can place a couple of his gallery pics in my gallery since I don't have pictures of those. Al and I are going to give his speakers a fresh new finish in the near future... I'm teaching him the fine art of wood finishes :)

Darren

Al Garay

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2003, 04:08 pm »
Very nice Darren. What people cannot see if how exceptional Ravi's cabinets turned out when viewed up close... no dust particles trapped between layers of finish. The touch test was no problem, smooth as a baby's bottom. You will have to trust me on that one.

As soon as my wife and I settle on a pre-amp (Bent Audio TX102 against Jackman's Foreplay - which I'm getting soon this week ), I will be game to give my 1801's the expert finish.

Thanks,

Al

jackman

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2003, 04:25 pm »
Beautiful speakers!  If you like the Foreplay, you can make a wooden base that matches your 1801's!  Can't do that with the Bent!!!  Just kidding, they are both good designs.

J

droliver

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2003, 12:26 am »
Lovely work! Have you established a price for you cabinets?

Darren Thomas

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2003, 12:28 am »
Quote from: droliver
Lovely work! Have you established a price for you cabinets?

I sure have, are you interested in a certain cabinet? I can send you prices for whatever you may be interested in.

Darren

totti1965

• http://www.adorno.de
Re: My gallery is up and running
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jul 2003, 12:48 am »
Hallo Darren,
I am a 1801 Fan from Germany,
so I have to apologize my bad english.
I have just one small Question:
The beautyfull 1801 pic that is shown under your name in every posting you made, would it be possible that you send me one in higher resolution
(about 768 by 1024    or 600 by 800)
so I can use it as wallpaper for my Computer...

would be so nice,
thanx

Thorsten

my e-mail is    thorstenwieszniewski@onlinehome.de