Okay. . Time to spill your cleaning secrets!

TRE

Re: Okay. . Time to spill your cleaning secrets!
« Reply #220 on: 7 Dec 2018, 11:12 pm »
Using a Record Dr. with the Record Doctor cleaning solution as some have already mentioned. It works great as far as I am concerned. Some really dirty LPs require a second or third pass. You hear a very noticeable difference in sound. This is my first cleaning machine so I have no other reference.

Not Insane

« Reply #221 on: 6 Dec 2019, 09:14 pm »
I use warm tap water, dawn, and one of those flat "edger" paint brushes from Lowes or home depot. Those things really get into the grooves. I just put a squirt of soap on the brush and rub it around. I then apply water to the LP, lay it on a towel, and run the brush in circles around it a few times. More if it was exceptionally dirty (Goodwill finds fit into this category sometimes). I then rinse with warm plain tap water and dry somewhat with a towel. The only reason I dry it is because since I don't use distilled water, the less water that is left, the less residue is left.

This has worked wonders on some records. I'm talking dead quiet after using this. The most amazing was an old copy of Annie Get Your Gun from around 1960 with Doris Day. It sounds brand new and almost like a Sheffield recording. And it was a $.25 goodwill find.

BTW, this is my first post here. I couldn't find a "welcome new members" forum, so here I am...

Not Insane

twitch54

« Reply #223 on: 17 May 2020, 04:07 pm »
I use warm tap water, dawn, and one of those flat "edger" paint brushes from Lowes or home depot. Those things really get into the grooves. I just put a squirt of soap on the brush and rub it around. I then apply water to the LP, lay it on a towel, and run the brush in circles around it a few times. More if it was exceptionally dirty (Goodwill finds fit into this category sometimes). I then rinse with warm plain tap water and dry somewhat with a towel. The only reason I dry it is because since I don't use distilled water, the less water that is left, the less residue is left.

This has worked wonders on some records. I'm talking dead quiet after using this. The most amazing was an old copy of Annie Get Your Gun from around 1960 with Doris Day. It sounds brand new and almost like a Sheffield recording. And it was a $.25 goodwill find.

BTW, this is my first post here. I couldn't find a "welcome new members" forum, so here I am...

given how cheap distilled water is (80 cents a gallon @ Wally World) why wouldn't you use it ? The fact that you acknowledge 'residue' is but one reason NOT to use tap water

orthobiz

« Reply #224 on: 17 May 2020, 06:09 pm »
Welcome Not Insane.

Paul

S Clark

• Volunteer
  • a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #225 on: 17 May 2020, 06:17 pm »
Welcome Not Insane.   Soapy water and a good brush work pretty well for a simple way of cleaning.  But nothing beats ultrasonic followed by vacuuming. 

vinyl_lady

« Reply #226 on: 17 May 2020, 07:44 pm »
Welcome Not Insane.   Soapy water and a good brush work pretty well for a simple way of cleaning.  But nothing beats ultrasonic followed by vacuuming.
What he said. ^^^^

Welcome Not Insane.

ric

« Reply #227 on: 18 May 2020, 01:40 pm »
I use a cheap (inexpensive) Perfection steam cleaner, and fill it with distilled water. Because it is marginal at blasting out the steam, it does have enough pressure to use it on vinyl. It has a tendency to run out of steam (so to speak) pressure wise after 30 seconds or so, and then it takes about a minute for the pressure to build again. IMO, works well.

529proaudio

« Reply #228 on: 13 Jun 2020, 03:09 pm »
Tried a Kirmuss Audio ultrasonic cleaner and returned it as it is brutally slow.  By the time you get it set up with distilled water and alcohol, run the pulse cycles, and clean two LPs (often just one album!), the machine starts overheating and takes an eternity to cool down.  The Upscale Audio version that can do 3 LPs instead of 2 simultaneously would help, but still a very time-consuming process.  And it is extremely noisy, so you can't do it while listening or within earshot of your family.  Oh, and the tiny bottle of surfactant that is 99% distilled water is maybe enough to do about 25-35 albums depending on how many cycles they require, at which point Kirmuss shameless price gouges the refills. 

Need to find an alternative at some point and will likely go back to one of the vacuum systems like my old Okki Nokki.  That thing was great.