Superphon Dual Mono Preamp - updated fully - SOLD!!!

TheChairGuy

Superphon Dual Mono Preamp - $500

and matching....

Superphon DM200 amp (100 watts a side, pure class A, and dual mono)  :thumb: - $300 (SOLD)

Pictures of the Superphons to come.

This is the better of the two versions offered by Designer Stan Warren at the time.  I think the cost difference was $100 between 'em back then.

I'm the original owner - having bought it in Huntington, NY (LI) where I grew up in 1987 or 88 at DOA Audio from Proprietor Tucker Elliot (if you are old enough and local to remember...they were on the corner of Jericho Tpke and Rt. 110 where a Staples(?) is today I think).  They were used for approximately 6 years, upon which I moved to Washington DC and began a family and business.  The units were stored and unused until early 2000 when I began using them again.

I used them for a year+ and moved family to California (where I live now)..whereupon I gave the units to my Dad in New York who used them until a couple months ago (including the Quad speakers I had for sale if you looked there)

In 2001, I tracked down original designer Stan Warren in Oregon and had him install 10 Blackgates in key positions.  I think the Blackgates cost $80 total and Stan only charged me $80 or so for labor including checking the unit over.  45 days ago, I took both preamp and matching amp to my local service place to check out...and they replaced more caps that had grown weary in both units and checked the rest out.  As you will see when I post pics, I paid $80 for the preamp and $180 for the amp (which had never been serviced previously so it needed more attention)

Both the pre-amp and matching DM200 amp sound excellent (I've been using them in 2nd system for a month+ now and am happy with them)  As they are 20+ years old - they have some small dings....but, light given 2 decades life.  I am normally quite kind to my audio gear - nonsmoking, etc.  In a fit of audiophool stupidity in 2001 I snipped the original plugs and put some heavier duty (yellow) ones on in hopes of improving sonics. 

I heard no improvement, frankly...it was just more audiophool stupidity ;>(

The Superphon products are frequently cited for fine sonics at light prices.  These two are stellar internally...just nicked no worse than age outside.  If you've never heard a 100watt dual mono full Class A amp (assuming you don't ask it to drive electrostatics or nutty loads) you're in for a treat - there is no sweeter solid state amps I think (I use tube monoblocks, which I like better still...but wouldn't be terribly upset if the Superphon were all I could use each day). 

The preamp gets more press over time and I think many more of these were sold them then the amp

$500 for the preamp and $300 for the amp - both shipped to you door (assuming your in the lower 48 in US) and PayPal included. A LOT of great memories with these guys - I'd love to sell both together as they were born that way - but, could be persuaded otherwise.  Save your $1500....you won't buy better than the Superphon Dual Mono (which cost $100 more in 1988 than the 'Basic' currently on sales on Audiogon for $500) for Moving Magnet use (it does not have moving coil, please note, you'd need a step-up for LOMC's).  I have a $100 battery step up that I have used in conjunction for moving coils and it sounds great....so it's not pricey to enjoy LOMC's.

It's got tape outs, so you could use it as a standalone phono stage if you wish. It'll thrash a good bit of what sells out there new today in phono stages for $500.

btw, I am the Facilitator of the Vinyl Circle at AudioCircle...so you know this phono section passes the grade with a critical vinylphool. 

As a longtime member and very frequent contributor, I only want happy transactions to friends there.  Reason for the sale - simply saving space in my small storage area.

Regards, John 
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2010, 02:55 am by TheChairGuy »

drphoto

Damnit John,   :nono: I was determined to stop spending money on audio for awhile, but I'm a huge Stan Warren fan. I gotta think this one over..........

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Dual mono, Class A, 100 watts per channel and only $300? I don't care if it was built 20 years ago, it was also built by a great designer!

$300 is a pittance. Where were you two years ago when I built my dual mono gainclone for $700?

Somebody grab this now. This is an excellent starter and maybe 'ender' system for any college grad, wow!

Anand.

TheChairGuy

Thanks Anand (sorry, missed your post originally drphoto - thanks for your consideration, too) - it's fully updated 8 weeks ago with tired caps, etc and servicing.  'Twas $180 at my local service center (which I will show pics of shortly).  So, I'm making less than even you think :)

I try to price my products sensitively.  I save a little $$$ otherwise going to Audiogon here and, because its a circle of like-minded folks, I like to have cordial relations with buyers.  So, if priced low-to-realistically, and something is even something different than I say (a scratch that perhaps doesn't bother me or bear mentioning...but to a new purchaser it might be sizable, etc), then a low price goes a loooong way to make a two-way happy transaction.

At least, that's my theory.

If I was truly hard up for money - I might price my gear a bit higher.  But, I'm thankful in so many ways that I don't have to 8)

Ciao, John
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2009, 01:53 pm by TheChairGuy »

TheChairGuy

It's so incredibly easy to use the gallery now...thank you, JohnR :thumb:

Here are some pics to better judge matters.

There are a couple scratches on the top of the preamp and on the outboard power supply.  The wire is quite obviously lamp cord and as lamp cord does, it tends to deteriorate at the bends after decades.  So, there is electrical tape at the exits (where it bends) as I began to see fissures in the outer sheath. 

I'd long wondered if replacing the wiring with something else would improve matters further - but I stopped short of changing it out as it always sound fine and performed well bone stock that way.

Ditto for the amp, it's also black so it shows everything, but there are some scratches there, too.  I forgot to mention, the rca's were of poor quality originally, so I had them changed out to WBT's in 2001 8)  It also had fissures at the bend on the power lead so there is some electrical tape there. 

They work extremely well and have been re-tested by me to make sure of that (since their servicing in August 2009)

Regards, John

Berndt

TheChairGuy

PM answered :thumb:

John

TheChairGuy

More about the Superphon DM200 amp as less is known about it.

It weighs in the vicinity of 30 lbs and it's all guts with little box part of that 30 lbs (no 1/2" thick faceplate, etc). 

The rear plate is old school:

* Fuse(s) on the outer panel (the way all amps should have it as when you need access to change it, you need not take 15 screws off to get to it!).  There are two as this is a dual mono amp / 2 mono sides to make stereo.

* Screw terminals.  In the days before 12ga cable and the like, everybody used lamp cord or the like.  So, you need to spade or ring the end of any of your audiophool cables to use on this one.

* External fins.  For cooling. The white strip along the outside of the fins is rope caulk.  These fins tend to ring a bit during playback as their thin...the rope caulk tames/damps them.  Years ago when I did it, I thought I heard a definitive difference.  I'll leave them on, unless you ask otherwise, and you can take it off.  It will come off in 30 seconds as they are not permanently attached (whatsoever)

* Input jacks. Those are topline WBT's I had added in 2001 during servicing of the unit.

Again, I spent $180 only 60 days ago and had all the tired caps changed out....so it plays as good as (literally) new.

The rear panel is very clean - if you see anything on it - it's likely the poor resolution of the 3mp camera and it's ill-equipped owner :wink:

« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2009, 05:14 am by TheChairGuy »

orthobiz

Is that a CAPTURED cord on that amp? hahahaha

Paul

And on the preamp, no BALANCE control? hahahaha

Boy, am I funny!

Seriously, good luck. John's a standup guy, folks. Buy anything he sells!

TheChairGuy

Indeed BoneDoc - old school captured (pretty much lamp) cord in the amp and preamp.  One could always change it out for kicks and grins and see if there is anything to improve by it.

Personally, I don't find IEC jacks and power cords to do much...except that they are much more convenient when swapping out components.  I have a few of the Iron Lung Jellyfish cords from BizzyBee Audio: http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/ILJPOWER.html

They are hospital grade throughout and the 14ga cord and IEC's are robust and not too heavy to sag at the IEC inlets of any amp or component.

The preamp has twin volume controls (no detents) - which is again not optimal for convenience, but the absolute best for sound quality.  The preamp is therefore dual mono right down to the volume controls for the best stereo imaging :)

btw, Stan Warren was no fan of fancy parts...I think he found the pots from Radio Shack to be about the best sounding out there :wink:

It's so simple and straightforward in design it almost forces it to sound good.

John

TheChairGuy

A few interested parties, but no sale as yet - fyi.

The units are some 20 years old and perhaps there was some review in an old issue of Stereo Review or Audio that I'm not aware of...I can only find but one review on the net and it's only on the preamp (which Superphon probably made 4x as many as the amps)

Audio Review: http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/superphon/preamplifiers/revelation-plus/PRD_118423_1591crx.aspx

I think whoever ends up with one or both Superphon's offered will be plenty pleased with the purchase.  The change in bass was a most welcome change when the Blackgates were installed in the preamp 8 years ago...as was that sense of transparency that makes you feel like you're at the event itself :)

The (MM) phono section gets accolades today as among the best and with good reason...but less is said about the line stage which is, frankly, really fine and completely quiet as solid state tends to be.

Less is known about the amp....but it's 30lbs of fully Class A, dual mono muscle.  Don't ask it to drive difficult 1 ohm loads (like electrostats, etc), try to fill an auditorium with sound or hook it up to high capacitance wires (like Kimber or Alpha-Core) - it isn't built for that and there are loads of decent, very powerful Class AB or 'digital' amps that will fill your need.

But, if you have a 'normal' speaker, use normal speaker cable of some sort and have an average sized room.....you're gonna' likely love :inlove: what a 100 watts of Class A power in a dual mono configuration can do for your tunes.

I cannot stress enough what a great step on the audio food chain moving to dual mono does for sonics. There is zero crosstalk between the two channels this way - greatly enhancing imaging capabilities to take you closer to being at the live event.  With vinyl in particular I find it to be a HUGE step in the right direction for audio.

Both Superphon components are completely updated and probably sound better than the day I brought them home 20 years ago.  There's a lot of pleasure yet to be discovered by someone with these guys :thumb:

TheChairGuy

Hmmm....no bites or haven't enough of you see the ad?

Don't make me do Audiogon :(....I dislike those guys on the mere principle that they charge many times what they did in the past and offer up no additional functional enhancements to the occasion. 

Anyhow....BUMP.

John

toobluvr

Hmmm....no bites or haven't enough of you see the ad?

Don't make me do Audiogon :(....I dislike those guys on the mere principle that they charge many times what they did in the past and offer up no additional functional enhancements to the occasion. 

Anyhow....BUMP.

John

Three bucks to list the ad there John.  (Or is it 4?)
Bite the bullet.  It will sell quickly.  To avoid the 1% transaction fee, simply ask your buyer to deal offline, and don't leave any feedback.  Worst case, your stuff is so cheap that if you do incur it, the 1% fee is only 5 bucks.

Raise your price to cover the fees....it will still sell quickly there.

I always post here first, but usually end up resorting to AG.  MUCH better results there.

"Functional enhancements"??     :dunno:
We don't need no steenkin enhancements!      :lol:
What AG brings to the party is buyers!  And that's the name of the game....principle be damned!   

:thumb:

TheChairGuy

Sir John:

My pride is overwhelmed by either $ or space necessity (I was fortunate not to have been born with much 'pride')...so the shenanigans don't usually go on too long :wink:

I have sold something like 12 of the past 13 items right here in AC and would prefer to.  The $4 listing fee doesn't bug me over there...it's the needless and endless censoring of what you can and cannot say in your ads and the complete lack of updated functionality ticks me off.

Well, it ticks me off - but not enough to stop using them :icon_lol:

JAJ / Just Another John :)

toobluvr

censoring?    :scratch:

hmmm....In the discussion boards, yes.  But I've been posting items FS over there for years and never really encountered that.

I once tried to avoid their 1% txn fee by outright saying in my ad "don't make offer thru the system, email me".

They saw it and pulled my ad till I fixed it.  Strange cause I often see other ads that say basically the same thing, and they don't get cancelled.   :dunno:

Other than this, I've never been censored.

As far as functionality.....I dunno, it seems OK to me.

FOJTA   (from one John to another)

Wait that doesn't sound quite right.  Don't want my name in the papers!
 :o      :lol:

jayco4000

John.
 I am very interested in your Superphon amp and preamp. I tried to send you a pm, but was unable to do so. It said "error on page." Please email me so we can discuss your items.
Thanks,
Jim

TheChairGuy

OK, will do...or just did (depending on when you read this)

Not sure why PM system isn't working today...I had one yesterday in my box :scratch:

John

TheChairGuy

fyi, in case the last couple posts thru anyone off the trail....the set is still available as of tonite  :thumb:

John

TheChairGuy

To reiterate - these are FULLY UPDATED examples of classics...as good as, or likely better (in the case of the preamp) than the day I received them new over 20 years ago.

The preamp has had 10 Blackgates installed by designer Stan Warren in 2001...and a few months ago got a clean bill of health from a trusted tech here in California (cost $80.00)

The amp had never been serviced in it's 20 year life...so I had all the tired caps replaced and given a clean bill of health from the same service center.  That cost me $180.00.....the amp price is $300 including PayPal and shipping.  There is not much left from profit when you do the math to ship a 30+ lb amp and take a 3%+ hit from PayPal on the sale.  Above all, I want it to go to an appreciative new owner.

Copies of the invoices for these services are pictured above.

Nobody, not even the Chinese, build dual mono preamps with superlative phono stages for $500 today.  Nobody that I am aware of builds $300 dual mono, Class A, 100 watt amps for $300. That's deliver-to-door in the lower 48, with no additional PayPal fees :)

The front fascia on both items are clean.  Tho you may not mistake them for new...you need to be looking for faults to find evidence of their 20+ year life.

I think you will be delighted with what your hard earned USD will fetch if you decide to buy these units from me :drums:

John

TheChairGuy

1042 views, 4 interested parties...but, no close on these yet.

I think it time for an old-fashioned throwdown :o

Superphon Dual Mono Preamp - $500.00 Now, $450.00

Superphon DM200 Amplifier - $300.00 Now, $275.00

All prices are shipped-to-door to lower 48 (we can work out something economical for those of you outside of this) and includes PayPal fee's.  If you look at the above posts, you'll see both units are fully updated to spec-or-better just a few playback hours back.

Buy both, and I'll ship 'em to your door for $700.00 flat.

No manufacturer I know of can offer dual mono construction with a full featured and much lauded preamp for $700.00 delivered to your door.  As earlier mentioned, the preamp has a much talked about (MM) phono stage...but less talked about is the really high quality line stage, too :thumb:

Regards, John