Cheap DACs

BobM

Re: Cheap DACs
« Reply #20 on: 14 Oct 2009, 04:59 pm »
I've got a highly modded ART DI/O, a highly modded Zhaolu 2.5C and an unmodded Ayre CX7e (soom to be MP) CD player.

If they're highly modded, not sure what this has to do with "Cheap DACs"?

Steve
i have <$300 into the one i modded myself, and i bout the second one for <$200.  next question?   :lol:

doug s.

Exactly - self modded means putting maybe an extra $100 or less into them.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #21 on: 14 Oct 2009, 05:42 pm »
I've got a highly modded ART DI/O, a highly modded Zhaolu 2.5C and an unmodded Ayre CX7e (soom to be MP) CD player.

If they're highly modded, not sure what this has to do with "Cheap DACs"?

Steve
i have <$300 into the one i modded myself, and i bought the second one for <$200.  next question?   :lol:

doug s.

Exactly - self modded means putting maybe an extra $100 or less into them.
no, i actually bought one modded for <$200...   :wink:

doug s.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #22 on: 14 Oct 2009, 06:56 pm »
Somewhere around 8 grand will buy you the latest Audio Note DAC 3.1x Balanced. I own that one now and I absolutely love it. (I know, big deal  :roll:.) I used to own the AN DAC 2.1X signature, which cost quite a bit less than 8 grand, but it is also a stellar DAC. Each of these DACs will smoke the Art (or any other modified budget DAC) hands down before you even press the play button. They are among the best sounding DACs on the market. They are made for those who have an interest in listening to music in the home, not the recording studio.

Again, big deal, just my opinion, FWIW, yada yada.

I realize your Art and many other budget DACs are a killer value and quite capable performers. I have a modified constantine myself, so I understand the enthusiasm. But rarely, if ever is it the case that a two bill DAC with a few clever mods can beat a world class DAC that costs 20 times the price. It's fun to say that it can, but I think we should try to keep things in perspective.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #23 on: 14 Oct 2009, 07:27 pm »
Somewhere around 8 grand will buy you the latest Audio Note DAC 3.1x Balanced. I own that one now and I absolutely love it. (I know, big deal  :roll:.) I used to own the AN DAC 2.1X signature, which cost quite a bit less than 8 grand, but it is also a stellar DAC. Each of these DACs will smoke the Art (or any other modified budget DAC) hands down before you even press the play button. They are among the best sounding DACs on the market. They are made for those who have an interest in listening to music in the home, not the recording studio.

I realize your Art and many other budget DACs are a killer value and quite capable performers. I have a modified constantine myself, so I understand the enthusiasm. But rarely, if ever is it the case that a two bill DAC with a few clever mods can beat a world class DAC that costs 20 times the price. It's fun to say that it can, but I think we should try to keep things in perspective.
a modded $200 dac can easily get within 98% of a dac that costs 200 times the price, let alone 20 times the price.  you may get different, but you will not get significantly better, imo - it's not physically possible w/redbook cd!  there is only so much blood you can suck from a stone.  want significantly better?  stick with winyl.   :green:  want a tiny tiny tiny bit better?  go blow a huge wad of cash on a redbook cd playback system.

i agree the a-n dacs will smoke any budget dacs before you press the play button - they ooze class.  the problem arises when you actually do press the play button - that's when the modded di/o will catch up!   :lol:  it bears repeating:  want significantly better?  stick with winyl.

ymmv,

doug s.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #24 on: 14 Oct 2009, 07:27 pm »

If you pay some attention towards the original post, the idea was to build the system for $750. It may sound ridiculous ( I think so), but that what it is. An 8 grand DAC does not really fit the bill. Glad you enjoy it, though.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #25 on: 14 Oct 2009, 07:55 pm »

a modded $200 dac can easily get within 98% of a dac that costs 200 times the price, let alone 20 times the price.  you may get different, but you will not get significantly better, imo - it's not physically possible w/redbook cd!  there is only so much blood you can suck from a stone.  want significantly better?  stick with winyl.   :green:  want a tiny tiny tiny bit better?  go blow a huge wad of cash on a redbook cd playback system.

i agree the a-n dacs will smoke any budget dacs before you press the play button - they ooze class.  the problem arises when you actually do press the play button - that's when the modded di/o will catch up!   :lol:  it bears repeating:  want significantly better?  stick with winyl.

ymmv,

doug s.

I thought you said 100% earlier?  :scratch: Now you say 98%....hmmm you're now starting to hedge your position. :P Oh, I see now it's 200 times lthe price not 20 times. So you can discern the last 2%; that's very impressive. :o

-Roy

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #26 on: 14 Oct 2009, 08:10 pm »

ymmv,

doug s.

I thought you said 100% earlier?  :scratch: Now you say 98%....hmmm you're now starting to hedge your position. :P Oh, I see now it's 200 times lthe price not 20 times. So you can discern the last 2%; that's very impressive. :o

-Roy
100%?  98%?  you tell me the difference.  my point is there is only so much that can be had from redbook cd, and anything good, modded, under $500 bucks will get you most, if not all the way there.  any "differences" will be down to taste, more than anything else, not one being better.  when i brought my di/o over to rim's house to compare w/significantly more spendy stuff, one participant who was present actually preferred the di/o.  personally, i thought it was all pretty equal.  of course, when we finally put on a winyl record, we all wondered what "crap" we were listening to, for several hours before.   :lol:

doug s.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #27 on: 14 Oct 2009, 08:11 pm »
If you pay some attention towards the original post, the idea was to build the system for $750. It may sound ridiculous ( I think so), but that what it is. An 8 grand DAC does not really fit the bill.

Totally agree.  :thumb: I don't think the original idea was to fool someone into believing that it could be better than an eight thousand dollar component either. That's all I was really getting at.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #28 on: 14 Oct 2009, 08:14 pm »
.........  my point is there is only so much that can be had from redbook cd, and anything good, modded, under $500 bucks will get you most, if not all the way there.

I totally and completely, with all of my heart and soul, disagree with this statement. I do respect your right to say it though. We all have different points of view.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #29 on: 14 Oct 2009, 08:15 pm »
If you pay some attention towards the original post, the idea was to build the system for $750. It may sound ridiculous ( I think so), but that what it is. An 8 grand DAC does not really fit the bill.

Totally agree.  :thumb: I don't think the original idea was to fool someone into believing that it could be better than an eight thousand dollar component either. That's all I was really getting at.
i agree it can't be better.  but - imho - it won't be worse, either.  redbook cd is one area where the laws of diminishing returns kick in extremely early.  i am not trying to fool anyone - use your ears, and decide for yourself.  but don't be taken in by the big price. 

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #30 on: 14 Oct 2009, 08:16 pm »
Quote from: Quiet Earth link=topic=72568.msg680616#msg680616
I totally and completely, with all of my heart and soul, disagree with [you]. I do respect your right to say it though. We all have different points of view.
i agree 100% w/everything you say there!   :thumb:

doug s.

srb

« Reply #31 on: 14 Oct 2009, 08:17 pm »
All I need is a USB DAC under $200 - used or new

Quiet Earth

« Reply #32 on: 14 Oct 2009, 08:53 pm »
doug,
I appreciate your enthusiasm for vinyl but I don't think that misinforming everyone about redbook is the right approach. I think you are doing more harm than good.

- use your ears, and decide for yourself.  but don't be taken in by the big price. 

I did just that, yet you seem to have this thing about bashing redbook CD no matter where, and no matter what.  Are we supposed to suddenly slap ourselves on the head and say "holy crap,  :duh: doug is right! I don't like redbook any more. I only like winyl." (Personally, I like my winyl with a v.)

Maybe some of us like our redbook as much as we like vinyl. Maybe some of us think that vinyl has just as many, if not more problems than redbook. Let the guy buy a 200 dollar DAC and get on with his life.

And now, for the entertaining rebuttal to why I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, and why you are always right and I am always wrong. Here it is :

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #33 on: 14 Oct 2009, 11:02 pm »
quiet earth, i like redbook cd yust fine.  but, not as much as winyl.  and, while i am all for getting better sound out of it, i yust haven't heard it.  maybe i am deaf, and i should be happy that i can't hear any great improvements with added expenditures.   :wink:

i am not misinforming anyone, i am yust giving my opinion.  everyone has one, and i strongly urge everyone to decide for themselves - don't take my opinion, yours, or anyone else's for the truth.  opinions are yust a starting point.

doug s.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #34 on: 14 Oct 2009, 11:52 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Nicely put doug! I'm all better now. See . . . .

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:thumb:

ltr317

« Reply #35 on: 15 Oct 2009, 12:20 am »
quiet earth, i like redbook cd yust fine.  but, not as much as winyl.  and, while i am all for getting better sound out of it, i yust haven't heard it.  maybe i am deaf, and i should be happy that i can't hear any great improvements with added expenditures.   :wink:

i am not misinforming anyone, i am yust giving my opinion.  everyone has one, and i strongly urge everyone to decide for themselves - don't take my opinion, yours, or anyone else's for the truth.  opinions are yust a starting point.

doug s.

Crwazy Wabbit.  :lol:  Seriously, let us all return to Mariusz' request for a cheap DAC recommendation. 

JohnR

« Reply #36 on: 15 Oct 2009, 08:49 am »
USB DAC would be preferred.

Something like this?

http://www.audio-magus.com/Super_Pro_DAC707SE_USB_p/109401.htm

(And spend the difference to build a better power supply?)

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #37 on: 15 Oct 2009, 01:10 pm »
USB DAC would be preferred.

Something like this?

http://www.audio-magus.com/Super_Pro_DAC707SE_USB_p/109401.htm

(And spend the difference to build a better power supply?)
re: power supplies - i agree, my experience has been improving these will offer real gains.  also - having a separate isolation transformer for both dac and transport, will offer improvements in resolution & lowered noise-floor.

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #38 on: 15 Oct 2009, 01:11 pm »

doug s.

Crwazy Wabbit.  :lol:  Seriously, let us all return to Mariusz' request for a cheap DAC recommendation.
how about a used art di/o?   :lol:

doug s.

rtate

« Reply #39 on: 15 Oct 2009, 02:11 pm »
I use a "Hot Audio Products" usb dac on my computer audio system with very good results.
It takes the signal off the dac with no op-amps in the circuit.
At $100 it's a good starting point to get my feet wet...