Cheap DACs

Mariusz

Cheap DACs
« on: 13 Oct 2009, 10:50 pm »
I have tried some "cheapies" from pretty much every category except DACs.
The DACs that are in my systems are ...... well, expensive. Not that I am looking for replacement but it would help me (and others too) put a really inexpensive system to show at one of our audiophile meets.
USB DAC would be preferred.
One particular DAC caught my eye - soon to be released Jolida (well under $200)
Any other suggestions????
My goal is a system total of $750. ( All I need is a USB DAC under $200 - used or new)

Best
Mariusz :thumb:

dflee

Re: Cheap DACs
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2009, 11:14 pm »
I too am interested in a USB dac and have been looking at the Blue Circle Thingee. At $149 could be one worth shelling out for. As a side note I was told you must have the more expensive models that have a clock. Is this true?
Any info would be appreciated.

Don

garyalex

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2009, 11:16 pm »
You might want to consider the HRT Music Streamer.  I have one and I think it sounds great.  $100.  Here's the 6moons review of the HRT+

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/streamer/streamer+.html

ltr317

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2009, 11:41 pm »
The DACs that are in my systems are ...... well, expensive. Not that I am looking for replacement but it would help me (and others too) put a really inexpensive system to show at one of our audiophile meets.
My goal is a system total of $750. ( All I need is a USB DAC under $200 - used or new)

Best

Mariusz,

I heard the Jolida DAC at RMAF, and to my ears it's a real bargain for the price.  It's smooth and articulate, though lacking the last bit of resolution that more expensive DACs provide.  If you're not a detail and "air" freak, then it's a fantastic bargain. 

Paul

ttan98

« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2009, 11:42 pm »
I have done some research this is what I found:

If you don't mind DAC from China(I think they are very good value for money) there are many of them listed in Ebay. To name one see this website:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/szem18

The Zero brand uses AD1852 Dac chip and the sound is very good for the price. There are many others, do a search and if you don't mind being a DIYer ie put the DAC in a box, there are ready made DAC boards based on AD1955, PCM1798 and AD1865 and others on Ebay.

Cheers.

Mariusz

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2009, 01:35 am »

Best

Mariusz,

I heard the Jolida DAC at RMAF, and to my ears it's a real bargain for the price.  It's smooth and articulate, though lacking the last bit of resolution that more expensive DACs provide.  If you're not a detail and "air" freak, then it's a fantastic bargain. 

Paul

Thanks Paul
I wouldn't expect miracles at this price point.
It just has to play music at adequate quality.
And no, I am not a detail freak. :wink:
You might want to consider the HRT Music Streamer.  I have one and I think it sounds great.  $100.  Here's the 6moons review of the HRT+

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/streamer/streamer+.html

It rings the bell. I will look into it.

Thanks and keep them coming.

Best

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2009, 01:39 am »
no usb, but if you can find a modded art di/o dac, you will be hard pressed to beat it at anything resembling a reasonable price.  while i have certainly not tried everything, it has equaled anything i have heard up to $8k, including server-based rigs.  supposedly, the zhaolu dacs are similar in performance, if not better, after mods.  (i have not heard them.)  i believe some of them offer usb...

doug s.

eastein

« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2009, 02:14 am »
I have both (almost, the a2 is smaller version of the a5 speakers) and they are definitely overachievers

$400 DAC
http://www.devilsound.com/

$350 Amplified Speakers
http://www.audioengineusa.com/a5_home.php

roscoeiii

« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2009, 02:37 am »
I've got a Moodlab Concept, a non-oversampling DAC whose sound I quite like. No USB (Moodlab's Dice is the same thing, but with the addition of USB but even used likely to be out of your price range). Also, I'm not convinced that USB is gong to give the best sound at this price point, if you've got equipment capable of non-USB digital output. TNT audio has a nice  review of the Dice.

I ended up needing the ability to switch digital inputs on the front (Moodlab's switch is on back), so got a different DAC and haven't yet gotten around to listing the Moodlab for sale, but if you're interested, lemme know. I'd part with it for under $200.

ltr317

« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2009, 04:39 am »
no usb, but if you can find a modded art di/o dac, you will be hard pressed to beat it at anything resembling a reasonable price.  while i have certainly not tried everything, it has equaled anything i have heard up to $8k, including server-based rigs.  supposedly, the zhaolu dacs are similar in performance, if not better, after mods.  (i have not heard them.)  i believe some of them offer usb...

doug s.

Doug,
I have 3 ART DI/O DACs, from mild to wild mods.  Another NY Raver brought over a modded Zhaolu and we compared it to my most extensive modded DI/O.  The consensus was that the Zhaolu has a leaner sound, while the DI/O has as much resolution and detail, but also is more involving and warmer sounding.  Of course, it depends on the listener's sound preference on which DAC to choose.
Paul

roscoeiii

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2009, 04:58 am »
IIRC, the Zhaolu has had a lot of reliability problems. There are extensive threads on it at headfi. Headfi in general has some very informative and quite long threads on budget DACs.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2009, 09:53 am »
Another option:  Trends Audio UD-10.1 USB Audio Converter

Here is a review:

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/trends_ud10_1.htm

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2009, 11:22 am »

doug s.

Doug,
I have 3 ART DI/O DACs, from mild to wild mods.  Another NY Raver brought over a modded Zhaolu and we compared it to my most extensive modded DI/O.  The consensus was that the Zhaolu has a leaner sound, while the DI/O has as much resolution and detail, but also is more involving and warmer sounding.  Of course, it depends on the listener's sound preference on which DAC to choose.
Paul
the zhaolu dacs that i have heard good things about have all been modded, like my di/o's.  i haven't heard much about them in stock iteration...

doug s.

bunnyma357

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2009, 01:52 pm »
I have done some research this is what I found:

If you don't mind DAC from China(I think they are very good value for money) there are many of them listed in Ebay. To name one see this website:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/szem18

The Zero brand uses AD1852 Dac chip and the sound is very good for the price. There are many others, do a search and if you don't mind being a DIYer ie put the DAC in a box, there are ready made DAC boards based on AD1955, PCM1798 and AD1865 and others on Ebay.

Cheers.

I've been very happy with my ZeroDAC  -  I haven't compared it to any other DACs, but it sounds better than any internal DACs I have - (SB3, CD player, etc.).  The OpAmps are all on sockets, so that is an easy and cheap DIY trade out, and there seems to be a lot of room in the case if you also wanted to try other DIY stuff later.

Also works as Head Amp, and has volume control, so you could use it as a PreAmp if you only have digital sources. Mine doesn't have USB, but the newer ones do. I've heard some people mention quality control issues, so it might be like the Zhalou in that respect, but I've had no problems.

Massive thread at Head Fi:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/review-zero-24-bit-192khz-dac-headphone-amp-pre-amp-269458/

Jim C

Quiet Earth

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2009, 04:11 pm »
if you can find a modded art di/o dac, you will be hard pressed to beat it at anything resembling a reasonable price.  while i have certainly not tried everything, it has equaled anything i have heard up to $8k,

I don't think you tried hard enough.  :D 

BobM

« Reply #15 on: 14 Oct 2009, 04:30 pm »
I've got a highly modded ART DI/O, a highly modded Zhaolu 2.5C and an unmodded Ayre CX7e (soom to be MP) CD player.

Yes, there are definite differences between all of them. In terms of strengths & weaknesses they are kind of polar opposites, to some extent ...

- The Zhaolu has a very expansive soundstage, width and depth. It has great transparency and incredibly tight and deep bass with lots of PRAT. It is a detail macjhine. There is a little leanness in the upper bass, lower midrange region that causes it to lose some of that fullness that many love. The Zhaolu can certainly sound digital though, due to its utter transparency. Sometimes the top end extension is just too much.

- The DI/O has more of that warmth and ease of listening that brings it closer to analogue. It also has plenty of PRAT and deep bass. Overall it is an easy listen that will never fatigue. It's soundstaging is good, but not as expansive as the Zhaolu. The top end is clear but not as utterly transparent as the Zhaolu. It gets better with a better power supply, like the Boulder version.

- The Ayre is just a wonderful state of the art CD player. It never fatigues. I can listen to it forever and not miss anything or feel like I am hearing digital edginess. It does not startle and immediately impress, like the Zhaolu, but instead envelops the listener in a soundstage every bit as expansive as the Zhaolu, but in a more analogue way. Tonally it is full and even. It has the best of both the Zhaolu and the DI/O, and then some, without any of their weaknesses. It is also at least 10x more expensive than either.

Hope this helps,
Bob

srb

« Reply #16 on: 14 Oct 2009, 04:36 pm »
I've got a highly modded ART DI/O, a highly modded Zhaolu 2.5C and an unmodded Ayre CX7e (soom to be MP) CD player.

If they're highly modded, not sure what this has to do with "Cheap DACs"?

Steve

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #17 on: 14 Oct 2009, 04:42 pm »

If they're highly modded, not sure what this has to do with "Cheap DACs"?

Steve
i have <$300 into the one i modded myself, and i bout the second one for <$200.  next question?   :lol:

doug s.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #18 on: 14 Oct 2009, 04:44 pm »
http://www.beresford-dac.com/

I have it for year now, only the previous version without USB. This DAC is a bargain, IMO. I found it in a What HiFi article.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2009, 04:48 pm »
if you can find a modded art di/o dac, you will be hard pressed to beat it at anything resembling a reasonable price.  while i have certainly not tried everything, it has equaled anything i have heard up to $8k,

I don't think you tried hard enough.  :D
i think i have.  8)   what i have compared include audio mirror nos dac, resolution audio cdp's, empirical audio modded northstar 192 dac, empirical audio sb3 with pace-car, bolder modified sb2, northstar transport fitted with pace-car.  other folks whose ears i trust, have compared to electrocompaniet cdp & dac, meitner bidat, eastern electric minimax, benchmark dac, xindak cdp, and others...

ymmv,

doug s.