Oregon GTG

funkmonkey

Oregon GTG
« on: 10 Oct 2009, 06:39 pm »
Soundscape is it?  Any official announcement yet?  For the record I like it, good choice.  :thumb:

I got the inside word that they are making an excellent impression up in Oregon this weekend.

Mudslide

Oregon GTG
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2009, 04:18 am »
We had our first day at the Northwest GTG today.  We got to hear HT1TL's, HT2's (thanks, John), ST RT's, and last, but certainly not least, the Salk Soundscape-12's.  All are exceptional.  I'm pretty tired and there is more to do tomorrow.  I'll get a report in here later in the week...except to say this...the Soundscape-12 name is just a bit inadequate.  I told Jim that I believe the true name of this speaker should be NO SPEAKER.   :wink:  When it plays, there IS NO SPEAKER...only lovely music.  I have never before experienced a speaker so swiftly, so completely disappear and leave me only with the artist/music.  I'm still stunned.

Many thanks for the experience and congratulations on a fabulous speaker, Jim!

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Oregon GTG
« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2009, 02:08 pm »
Wow--I wish we could have used that room in Denver.  I suspect the HT4's or, uh, whatever, would have had a lot more space to disappear in.  Thanks to all for hosting the event.  If I didn't have to play a concert his afternoon, I would certainly be there.   

Mudslide

Oregon GTG
« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2009, 02:34 pm »
Wow--I wish we could have used that room in Denver.  I suspect the HT4's or, uh, whatever, would have had a lot more space to disappear in.  Thanks to all for hosting the event.  If I didn't have to play a concert his afternoon, I would certainly be there.

Break a leg, Dennis.  Wow 'em at the concert.  We really missed you, as well.  But what the heck, your back would have just ended up hurting from all the kudos and back-pats, anyway.   :wink: 

I don't know how they sounded in Denver, but they were absolutely awesome here.  I'm ruined forever to other speakers.

(Sorry about the awful photos.  It looks like somebody shook a beer and opened onto my camera lens.  :oops:)

fishinbob

Oregon GTG
« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2009, 02:40 pm »
the HT4's or, uh, whatever,  :lol:

Salk Soundscape 12 doesn't exactly roll off the tongue... if it were up to a vote, I'd go with the default, HT4.

Mudslide

Oregon GTG
« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2009, 03:52 pm »
the HT4's or, uh, whatever,  :lol:

Salk Soundscape 12 doesn't exactly roll off the tongue... if it were up to a vote, I'd go with the default, HT4.

A soundscape is what it delivers, however.   :D

Wayner

Oregon GTG
« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2009, 08:28 pm »
I think the room looks like it's about 16 feet wide (using the AVA amp as reference (17")). that would make about 11 units side by side with my rough estimate. And probably 20 feet deep, but that is hard to judge. Dennis, I think the room is clearly 1/3 larger then at RMAF. Nice stage too.

Wayner  :D

Nuance

Oregon GTG
« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2009, 08:43 pm »
Thank you for the info, guys!  Had it not been for my little one turning one years old today, I would have made the drive over there. 

I have said it in the other Oregon GTG threads, but bring on more impressions and pics!   :thumb:
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2009, 12:41 am by Nuance »

Mudslide

Oregon GTG
« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2009, 02:39 am »
Thank you for the info, guys!  Had it not been for my little one turning one years old today, I would have made the drive over there. 

I have said it in the other Oregon GTG threads, but bring on more impressions and pics!   :thumb:

Just a quick note...my duties kept me from auditioning the HT2's.  I have to say that I was mighty impressed by the other Salks in the line-up, and have little doubt the HT2 would be a bigtime cure for a lifetime of bad speaker owning.  I'll get into a more adjective laden review of what I heard in other threads or forums.  Suffice here to say that the Songtowers are an awesome value and really are quite unbelievable dealers in smooth FR, down from amazing depths for a couple of 5.5" woofers on to infinity with those ribbons.  But the Soundscapes have forever spoiled me and ruined every other speaker...and I have heard hundreds of expensive models.  I sat there trying to be hyper-critical, trying to diagnose every nuance (sorry Brandon), find any fault or shortcoming, and suddenly ***poof*** all speaker influences disappeared.  It didn't drift away.  I just got slammed by the music and artist.  What speakers? 

Because of a medical ailment, my wife has a hearing disability of a significant extent...wears hearing aids (but had them off for the event because of noise levels/sensitivity).  She doesn't much like music anymore because a lot of it hurts her ears...as it had when in the car on the way over I played part of a new compilation CD I'd just made.  I brought her in to the Salk room and expected her to leave within minutes.  She stayed for an hour listening to that same CD now being played on the Soundscapes at reference levels.  Guess what.  I looked over and she was in tears.  She told me that for the first time in years she was able to enjoy music again.  It gave me chills to hear that.  I don't know what physiological effects were in play, but I don't care either, as it brought me much joy.

I think we sometimes get jaded, or become slaves of the technology, and analyze analyze analyze, and forget the music and what it can do for the soul.  And I don't want to get too philosophical or sappy, but these HT4/Soundscapes bring THAT internal emotion to you before you realize it.  I dunno guys.  I can't describe it better than that.  In my opinion, Jim has built a disappearing machine that drives music into your soul.

Nuance

Oregon GTG
« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2009, 02:48 am »
RJ,

That is simply incredible.  Wow...truly amazing! 

I am so happy for your wife!  You know what this means now, RJ?  You have to start saving up for the Soundscape's.   :D

Mudslide

Oregon GTG
« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2009, 03:52 am »
RJ,

I am so happy for your wife!  You know what this means now, RJ?  You have to start saving up for the Soundscape's.   :D

Dig this!  Mrs. Mudslide is already asking me what we can do to possibly afford and acquire a pair!!   aa

The missus into audio?????  AMAZING!!   :thumb:

sedah

Re: Oregon GTG
« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2009, 04:52 pm »
... Guess what.  I looked over and she was in tears.  She told me that for the first time in years she was able to enjoy music again.  ...

That's a beautiful story. Glad the two of you could experience that.

Nuance

« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2009, 05:18 pm »
RJ,

Dig this!  Mrs. Mudslide is already asking me what we can do to possibly afford and acquire a pair!!   aa

Too cool, buddy!  :thumb:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2009, 05:46 pm »
RJ,

Well, just remember, the 10" sounds exactly like the 12" and is nothing more than a flesh wound at $10k a pair.   I plan on bringing a bunch of them with me as stocking stuffers at Xmas. 

charmerci

« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct 2009, 07:18 pm »

Well, just remember, the 10" sounds exactly like the 12" and is nothing more than a flesh wound at $10k a pair.   I plan on bringing a bunch of them with me as stocking stuffers at Xmas.

I guess that means that I'll have to move back to the D.C. area. What's your address again?  :lol:

drab

« Reply #15 on: 12 Oct 2009, 07:20 pm »

:P  I bet Jim would like it if you stopped telling everyone that! Just kidding, he actually
said the same thing at the GTG. And he said the woofer cabinet would be thinner, the
same width as the mid portion. A much more svelte profile.

My story.....: I walked in to the Salk room while Bird On A Wire was playing, not sure
of the artist. Not my cup of tea however it was very obvious I was hearing something
special. The clarity of her voice and of each of the instruments was fantastic. The bass from
the bass and kick drum were completely realistic and tangable.The Ht-4produced a more
forward soundstage than I am used to. I was able to get lost in the music in a matter of
moments.
I like it.  :thumb:

When the song was over, another person in the room asks Jim if he could play the same
song on the HT-4! It had been playing on the HT-2's!!! :duh: So Jim switches them over
and starts the song again. WOW! :o  I'm not a great listener and I'm a worse writer so
let me just say that what was so great a second ago just got better. The soundstage seemed
to me to still be forward although not quite as far as the HT-2. They almost seemed to slow
everything down so you're ears could keep up and discern the different instruments more easily.

After Bird on a Wire was done, Jim played Fanfare For the Common Man, again I don't know
by whom. Now this song was able to really showcase what the HT-4 is capable of! Again, not
my favorite, but there is so much more going on and you can still pinpoint every instrument!
I was sitting there in amazement when it occurred to me that this is what people mean when
they say, "The speakers just dissappeared!" I felt like I was in the fifth row at the L.A. Phil!

I wound up listening to the HT-4's several times and from all different angles, including sitting
on the floor outside the left speaker. I had the same experience from every location. They sounded
great from all axes; high, low, left or right did not matter. I have to say congratulations on
a fantastic product/instrument, Jim and Dennis et al.

Mudslide, it was great meeting you and thanks so much for the hard work you did helping put
this together.

Mike

Mudslide

« Reply #16 on: 12 Oct 2009, 08:09 pm »
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, it was a big dream-time moment filled with images of the Lottery Truck backing up to our front door.  Flesh wound, indeed.   :lol:  There will be no path to acquisition.  But I'm thankin' my lucky stars Jim decided to build these machines, have you put the brains in 'em, and bring them out here for all to experience.

But just in case Dennis, I'll lay out a big ol' stocking on the fireplace mantle.   :wink:  I've been a good boy all year, Santa.........

MaxCast

« Reply #17 on: 12 Oct 2009, 08:21 pm »
Hi drab, were you able to listen to any music you were familiar with or you regularly listen too?

Nuance

« Reply #18 on: 12 Oct 2009, 09:16 pm »

Dennis,

How do I get invited to your Christmas party?   aa  :lol:

ctviggen

« Reply #19 on: 12 Oct 2009, 09:17 pm »
Do the bass drivers come in black or with a cover?  That's too much metallic looking area for me.