Tube DAC: Dampers and Vibration.

TJHUB

Tube DAC: Dampers and Vibration.
« on: 11 Oct 2009, 03:20 pm »
As I'm new to tubed audio gear, I've been experimenting with my one piece of tubed gear, my Music Hall DAC 25.2.  I've found my perfect tube and then I tried a tube damper from Herbie.

The tube damper all but completely ruined the sound for me.  It made everything sound dull.  The midrange seemed congested and the highs were just dull.  However the bass seemed more articulate.  I couldn't find any love for my DAC with the tube damper on, so I removed it and all is well again.

So I'm sitting here this morning listening to music and thinking about how dramatic the difference is with a tube damper installed.  Since I have felt vibration by touching the thick aluminum faceplate of my DAC, I decided to experiment a little. 

I took a small fiber filled pillow and placed it underneath my DAC.  What's interesting is that the DAC remains to sound very open in the midrange and very extended in the highs with great attack and decay, but the bass became much more articulate.  I was getting a slight hollow distorted sound from some music that has a lot of double bass in it.  The tube damper removed this and now so does the pillow.  However, the tube damper killed the rest of my sound while the pillow seems to make everything sound MUCH better. 

If audio gear isn't complicated enough, now this tube stuff seems to complicate things even more.  Now I'm placing pillows under my gear?  :o 

The sound is incredibly "better" and I'm thinking I need something a little sexier than one of my wife's decorative pillows under my DAC.  While the pillow seems to have taken nearly all the vibrations away from my DAC, I'm hoping someone can recommend something better.  Possibly the stuff from Herbie's?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

TJHUB

Re: Tube DAC: Dampers and Vibration.
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2009, 03:38 pm »
It didn't take much more listening to realize that the sound overall has changed significantly.  Not only is the bass more articulate, but the midrange and highs all sound more clear.  It's as if I changed the tube, the change is significant.  Luckily for the better!  I just got myself one step closer to perfection; from a pillow no less!

Here is my tube damper:

Here is my DAC sitting on a pillow:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2009, 03:49 pm »
I like these for vibration absorption and they are cheap. :)
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/vibrationpads.htm
[img]

-Roy

TJHUB

« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2009, 03:59 pm »
Roy,

Thanks for the link.  Yes those are cheap compared others I've seen.  I worried that any type of anti-vibration foot is not going to perform like the pillow.  :lol:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2009, 04:37 pm »
I'm surprised to read that the damper didn't help.  Maybe you should get some Herbie's Tenderfeet and try that first then add the damper.  I use this combo on my Tube USB DAC and am thrilled with the results.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2009, 04:46 pm »
Roy,

Thanks for the link.  Yes those are cheap compared others I've seen.  I worried that any type of anti-vibration foot is not going to perform like the pillow.  :lol:

Yes, those footers look to be the same ones offered by by Mapleshade Audio @ $10 a piece. :lol: :icon_twisted:
http://www8.mailordercentral.com/mapleshade/products.asp?dept=1

TJHUB

« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2009, 05:21 pm »
I'm surprised to read that the damper didn't help.  Maybe you should get some Herbie's Tenderfeet and try that first then add the damper.  I use this combo on my Tube USB DAC and am thrilled with the results.

Being new to tubes, I wasn't sure what to exactly expect from the tube damper.  Frankly, I didn't even think I needed one.  Then when I install it, it dulls the sound a lot; another unexpected circumstance.

I looked at the Tenderfeet from Herbie's, but like any anti-vibrational foot, I'm wondering just how good they'd work compared to what the fiber filled pillow is doing.  With the DAC on the pillow, I can't feel any vibration whatsoever.     

TJHUB

« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2009, 05:22 pm »
Roy,

Yes, those footers look to be the same ones offered by by Mapleshade Audio @ $10 a piece. :lol: :icon_twisted:
http://www8.mailordercentral.com/mapleshade/products.asp?dept=1

They're so cheap, I think I'll just give them a try. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2009, 05:26 pm »
Here are Herbie's Tenderfeet:  http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/compfeet.htm

for the "seconds" try this: http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/special.htm (bottom of page)

Like all Herbie's products they have a 90 day risk free trial period.  Can't go wrong IMO.