M2Tech HiFace 24/192 USB->S/PDIF penstyle interface

jkeny

• Industry Participant
    • Modified Hiface USB Transports
Re: M2Tech HiFace 24/192 USB->S/PDIF penstyle interface
« Reply #220 on: 9 Sep 2010, 08:37 pm »
You guys might be interested in a just published Positive Feedback round-up article on a wide range of USB transports http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue51/usb_converters.htm

The attenuators are mentioned in this write-up (as well as the modified Hiface :))

Audioclyde

« Reply #221 on: 10 Sep 2010, 02:15 am »
I've finally pulled the plug and ordered two 10 and two 6 attenuators; hopefully they will be here soon so that I can play around with them a bit.

Randy

Audioclyde

« Reply #222 on: 15 Sep 2010, 03:29 pm »
My attenuators arrived this morning, so hopefully I'll have time to give them a try tonight.  My box modded HiFace is feeding the BNC input of an EE DAC; any recommendations of a starting place (I got 2 10db and 2 6db attenuators)?

Thanks,

Randy

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #223 on: 15 Sep 2010, 05:19 pm »
Put a 10 at one end of the cable & a 6 at the other end

Audioclyde

« Reply #224 on: 19 Sep 2010, 12:12 am »
I tried 6 on one end and 10 on the other for quite a while last night.  Just fired up the system this evening and replaced the 6 with a 10 (so I have a 10 on each end)---initial impression is I like this better, seems to be a bit smoother still and blacker background between the notes???

Randy

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #225 on: 19 Sep 2010, 12:20 am »
Yes, Randy, I guess the trick is to find out how high you can go with the attenuation while still retaining SPDIF lock on your DAC. There's no empirical answer to this - it's dependent on your cables & DAC. Is an EE DAC an Eastern Electric with ES9018 Sabre DAC chip?

So you are liking the sound even more  :). If you like this improvement, the sonic upgrade from the modified Hiface is a major leap. Sorry, I just couldn't help myself  :)

Audioclyde

« Reply #226 on: 19 Sep 2010, 01:38 am »
John,

Yes, that's the DAC that's in the system at the moment.

Still really liking the battery pwrd boxed HiFace--thanks again!

Randy

tubesguy2

« Reply #227 on: 24 Sep 2010, 04:08 pm »
If you like this improvement, the sonic upgrade from the modified Hiface is a major leap. Sorry, I just couldn't help myself  :)

Aw, I bet you could if you really tried.  Especially since you accidentally slipped way back in post #220, and you were probably still kicking yourself for that.

Angaria

« Reply #228 on: 24 Sep 2010, 07:51 pm »
For those of us in the situation of having RCA hiface and spdif only dacs, could a rca line level attenuator do just the same job as the bnc attenuators?

I know that RCA's are not 75 ohm, I was just hoping that it might be a better quality adaptor

According to the hub instructions if the blue led light came on, then it was switched to external power.

re attentuators, I would need to use 2 RCA to BNC adaptors then as  I don't have BNC's on either the HiFace or the Havana.

To be honest, I'm pretty happy with how the 1.5m GH spdif cable sounds and am more concerned about the possibility that I may have a HiFace that was manufactured with different clocks than the original...TBD...see this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503323/hiface-sensitive-information

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #229 on: 24 Sep 2010, 08:06 pm »
The attenuators don't come in RCA format but you could put a RCA to BNC adaptor on the cable or get a cable with BNC to RCA

Angaria

« Reply #230 on: 24 Sep 2010, 08:09 pm »
so RCA hiface -> RCA to BNC cable -> BNC attenuator -> BNC to RCA adaptor -> DAC   ?

I'm wondering if all the extra connections would only increase the reflections I'm trying to avoid?

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #231 on: 24 Sep 2010, 08:17 pm »
so RCA hiface -> RCA to BNC cable -> BNC attenuator -> BNC to RCA adaptor -> DAC   ?

I'm wondering if all the extra connections would only increase the reflections I'm trying to avoid?
Yes they will but I believe the attenuators will more than compensate!

IDI

« Reply #232 on: 25 Sep 2010, 01:46 am »

I have a RCA jkeny modded hiface. I was skeptical about all the connections, but in my system there an was a definite improvement in clarity and everything sounds more natural. I bought 4 attenuators 3,6,10,15 and two sets of rca-bnc adapters from allied electronics. After a lot of experimentation I am settled on a 10db on the DAC and 3db on the hiface. If you haven't done the usb cable mod yet its also well worth the effort. Thanks again John for vastly improving my system. 

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #233 on: 25 Sep 2010, 01:55 am »
Glad you like it. Visit my website & sign-up for some upcoming news

ddgtr

« Reply #234 on: 4 Oct 2010, 09:36 am »
Count me in as another happy MK1 owner.  Have been running a 10 and a 6db attenuators for a while, I will change to two 10's to see what happens.  My dac has no problem keeping a lock on 20db, so I'll see if there is a difference.

kyrill

« Reply #235 on: 4 Oct 2010, 12:50 pm »
I will shortly order Keny's mk2 but in the mean time i am still listening to my trusty "old" Wayne modded SB3. I suppose the attenuators will work for it (any other s/pdif out?) too as i use only the digital out of the SB3 into my Dac ( DEQX)?

I just ordered wanted to order ( minicircuits)  3 attenuators.6,10 and 15dB en that was around $35 but canceled as shipping was betwee $79 (by boat) and $100 for expediting or express!! :banghead: A bubble envelope would do. A blu-ray disk out of US is 10 dollars shipping!!
==========
HA
I fjust found out I can buy them in Holland in several shops....45-50€ a piece, appr. 60-70 US $ a piece  :o :o :o

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #236 on: 4 Oct 2010, 05:15 pm »
I will shortly order Keny's mk2 but in the mean time i am still listening to my trusty "old" Wayne modded SB3. I suppose the attenuators will work for it (any other s/pdif out?) too as i use only the digital out of the SB3 into my Dac ( DEQX)?
Not necessarily so! The attenuators work on the Hiface SPDIF output because it is higher than spec i.e 2Vpp as apposed to 0.5Vpp. The attenuators cut down the voltage of this signal & as a result knock down the reflections two-fold. In the case of the Hiface there is no problem bringing down the SPDIF signal but other SPDIF devices may well not have the headroom to spare i.e if you knock down the SPDIF signal too much your DAC will not be able to lock to it.

I just ordered wanted to order ( minicircuits)  3 attenuators.6,10 and 15dB en that was around $35 but canceled as shipping was betwee $79 (by boat) and $100 for expediting or express!! :banghead: A bubble envelope would do. A blu-ray disk out of US is 10 dollars shipping!!
==========
HA
I fjust found out I can buy them in Holland in several shops....45-50€ a piece, appr. 60-70 US $ a piece  :o :o :o
Minicircuits have a UK branch where they are 12GBP each - I don't know the shipping cost to Holland?

kyrill

« Reply #237 on: 4 Oct 2010, 05:57 pm »
Kenny
Thx :D

Alexdad54

« Reply #238 on: 6 Oct 2010, 02:49 pm »
Yes they will but I believe the attenuators will more than compensate!
One would use only one attenuator then, either the 6 or the 10 in this chain?

kyrill

« Reply #239 on: 6 Oct 2010, 05:30 pm »
I have bought 6, 10 and 15 dB

I begin with 16. If the signal locks i try 21 and if that works  find out which sounds the best ( firs i must have my MK2)

In the mean time i try the 6dB attenuator on my bnc s/pdif cable between dac and SB3 Probably the dac will not lock