Holy Cow!! A-Rod comes through in the playoffs

MarkM

Re: Holy Cow!! A-Rod comes through in the playoffs
« Reply #20 on: 10 Oct 2009, 05:41 pm »
Dirty umps??  Easy there Mulder.  There are plenty of other websites where you can talk silly conspiracy theories.

The strike zone was consistently called across the first two games, there was no favoritism for the Yankees.

Yes, the left field ump made a terrible call.  Nobody (including the umpires) is debating that or shying away from it.  Even after the bad call, the Twins had based loaded and nobody out and didn't score.  They also left 17 men on base and had some bad base running.  That is why the Twins lost, not the umpiring.

George

Wayner-no sense of humor?

George's analysis is dead on.   The Twins couldn't seal the deal and had every opportunity to take that game imo.

You have to love hi-def, seeing Nathan visibly twitching on the mound couldn't have given Twins fans confidence......

hmen

« Reply #21 on: 10 Oct 2009, 06:02 pm »
Wayner,
 I understand your gripe with the incorrect call on the ball down the line. However, I have some trouble with your "dirty ump" complaint. The guy that blew the call will pay, both in loss of prestige and money. Umpires are graded on their performance and are assigned postseason work (and extra pay) on merit. I can't imagine a major league ump putting a permanent stain on his career and reputation in order to affect the result of the game. I also think that if big time gamblers were paying off somebody it wouldn't be one of the outfield umps. 
As far as balls and strikes go, MLB is using a multi-camera system from a company called QuestTech to simulate the strike zone and umps are graded on every pitch. I think if you ask a fan of either team about 95% of them will say that the other pitcher is getting the calls. It's just human nature.     

Howard

Wayner

« Reply #22 on: 10 Oct 2009, 07:43 pm »
Howard,

They are marking the balls and strikes where the catcher catches the ball. Anyone that has played baseball knows it's where it crosses the plate. On Sunday, watch close and you will see what I mean. As far as Natham is concerned, he is a very nervous guy, always has been, always will. He's damn good and seldom breaks down.

On another note, I think it's very poor sportsmanship to have the Yankees fans boo Joe Mauer when he comes to bat. What for? He's the best catcher in baseball, a hell of a nice guy and you won't read his name in the papers involved in some sexcapade, like a few others. I have respect for any player that is a standup guy, regardless of what team he's on, unless he is a total dink.

Anyway, it ain't over 'till the fat lady sings.

Wayner  :lol:

maxwalrath

« Reply #23 on: 10 Oct 2009, 08:22 pm »

On another note, I think it's very poor sportsmanship to have the Yankees fans boo Joe Mauer when he comes to bat. What for? He's the best catcher in baseball,

:scratch: Is there ever a time to boo at a sporting event? 

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #24 on: 10 Oct 2009, 08:52 pm »
Howard,

They are marking the balls and strikes where the catcher catches the ball. Anyone that has played baseball knows it's where it crosses the plate. On Sunday, watch close and you will see what I mean. As far as Natham is concerned, he is a very nervous guy, always has been, always will. He's damn good and seldom breaks down.

On another note, I think it's very poor sportsmanship to have the Yankees fans boo Joe Mauer when he comes to bat. What for? He's the best catcher in baseball, a hell of a nice guy and you won't read his name in the papers involved in some sexcapade, like a few others. I have respect for any player that is a standup guy, regardless of what team he's on, unless he is a total dink.

Anyway, it ain't over 'till the fat lady sings.

Wayner  :lol:

Wayner,

Booing the best player(s) on the opposing team has been going on across baseball since my grandfather watched Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig at Yankee Stadium back in the 1920's.  Are you honestly trying to say this is something unique in NY? 

I agree that Joe Mauer is the best catcher in baseball and a class guy...so what?  Jeter gets booed when comes up to bat at opposing ballparks, it's part of the game.  There is no better example of class and dignity in baseball than Jeter - does that mean all the opposing fans are committing some type of heinous crime?  Of course not...   

Do you honestly follow baseball or are you just trying to yank our chains today?   :scratch:

George

sts9fan

« Reply #25 on: 10 Oct 2009, 09:10 pm »
No booing in baseball? You got to be kidding me.  This is not little leauge.
I am with George on this one.   

hmen

« Reply #26 on: 10 Oct 2009, 09:30 pm »
Give us credit. At least we didn't boo A-Rod last night :lol:   

Wayner

« Reply #27 on: 10 Oct 2009, 09:40 pm »
I watch almost every Twins game. Minnesota people are not like NY people. There is a level of respect that I see. Anyway, the Yanks are the team to hate, as almost everyone else not from NY would love to see this team, bought by the world's biggest a-hole, go down in flames. The A's will defeat the Yanks anyway. That will bring a big smile to my face. You just can't buy a world series. The Twins have proven it twice. Maybe this time again. The fat lady ain't sang yet!

PS: I Played plenty of baseball when I was a kid. Won several batting titles and was a pretty good pitcher to boot.

Wayner

maxwalrath

« Reply #28 on: 10 Oct 2009, 09:45 pm »
Minnesota people are not like NY people. There is a level of respect that I see.

Yeah, Minnesotans are better people, and you're not being disrespectful  :lol:.  And there's certainly never any booing at Twins games. 

Wayner

« Reply #29 on: 10 Oct 2009, 09:51 pm »
Well, have you ever been here? I've been to NY many times. Anyway, I don't really care. Death to the Yankees. They suck and everyone except people from NY hate them.

Go Twins!!!!!!!!!

aa

sts9fan

« Reply #30 on: 10 Oct 2009, 09:57 pm »
Fact:  everyone from minnisota is a better person then those from ny. 
Hell I am from Boston and I don't even stereotype ny that bad.  I am sure Boston is just as bad in your eyes though.

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 10 Oct 2009, 10:32 pm »
Wow...so let me see if I have this straight.

Minnesota people are better than everybody, especially New Yorkers.  People in Minnesota have more respect for the game and don't boo opposing players (let's see if that holds true tomorrow).  Everybody outside of NY hates the Yankees.

Yet it is the person from Minnesota (the place where everybody is better) who is saying "death to the Yankees".  It is also the person from Minnesota (the land of respect) using words like "hate" and "suck" - can you say "ironic"?

Hmmm...I have never been more proud to be from New York.

Go Yankees!

George

hmen

« Reply #32 on: 10 Oct 2009, 10:35 pm »
Minnesota people are not like NY people.

Wayner
I don't know what you mean. I'm sure the people in Minnesota are just as nice as the people in New York.

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 10 Oct 2009, 10:36 pm »
Fact:  everyone from minnisota is a better person then those from ny. 
Hell I am from Boston and I don't even stereotype ny that bad.  I am sure Boston is just as bad in your eyes though.

sts9fan,

Getting back to baseball...what's going on with the Sox?  Doesn't look like we are going to get the Yankees-Sox league championship we were both hoping for.

People are so down around here (Boston area) that they didn't even razz me at soccer this morning when I was wearing this while coaching my son's game:

George

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 10 Oct 2009, 10:37 pm »
Minnesota people are not like NY people.

Wayner
I don't know what you mean. I'm sure the people in Minnesota are just as nice as the people in New York.

I used to think that, but now I am not so sure.   :lol:

George

TheChairGuy

« Reply #35 on: 10 Oct 2009, 11:39 pm »
Well, have you ever been here? I've been to NY many times. Anyway, I don't really care. Death to the Yankees. They suck and everyone except people from NY hate them.

Go Twins!!!!!!!!!

aa

Well, I've been to Minneapolis (and Eau Claire) many times, Wayner....I knew the second time there in late September 2000-or-so when there were snow flurries that I wasn't going to be living there in this lifetime and or with this wife :wink:

Snow just shouldn't be happenin' in September :icon_lol:

A Yankee fan here...but, kudos to any small market team that are consistently competitive in Major League Baseball today (St. Louis and Oakland in that same niche, too)

John

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #36 on: 11 Oct 2009, 01:00 am »
Was Jeffrey Dahmer from Minnesota or Wisconsin? He was nice.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 11 Oct 2009, 02:50 am »
What I do know is that the 2009 playoffs have not been kind to me.  Being from New Hampshire and now living in Minnesota, the wrong American League teams are losing   :duh:

The Yankees look happy to be playing with each other.  The chemistry is unlike any Yankee team I have seen in the last half-decade.  They are going to be fun to watch.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #38 on: 11 Oct 2009, 01:56 pm »
Cross off the Cardinals. The Dodgers have made it past the first cut. My Rockies have a certain upstart magic but we saw how well that carried them against an American League juggernaut two years ago.

Based on the games I've seen so far, only the Yankees appear to have any fire and they have erupted.

What is this now, George, their 37th championship they are working on? It's like all of a sudden they about 15 Jeters. Yikes!!!

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 11 Oct 2009, 01:58 pm »
Cross off the Cardinals. The Dodgers have made it past the first cut. My Rockies have a certain upstart magic but we saw how well that carried them against an American League juggernaut two years ago.

Based on the games I've seen so far, only the Yankees appear to have any fire and they have erupted.

What is this now, George, their 37th championship they are working on? It's like all of a sudden they about 15 Jeters. Yikes!!!

While the Yanks look very good, I am not quite ready to start talking about hoisting the 27th Championship Banner.

IMHO, I feel that this is their best "team" since the 1998-2000 group.

George