Trying bass trapping before ordering from RealTraps or GIK

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: Trying bass trapping before ordering from RealTraps or GIK
« Reply #100 on: 16 Oct 2009, 09:06 pm »
I'm assuming the bags are seriously flawed bass traps, or maybe not seriously but partially.

Bryan has the right answer. Bags of insulation work well, at least if they're large enough and you have enough of them.

--Ethan

How do the bags of insulation perform in comparison to a 16"-24" ID, 1" thick, 6' tall DIY tube-type pipe insulation traps? 

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #101 on: 17 Oct 2009, 01:29 pm »

How do the bags of insulation perform in comparison to a 16"-24" ID, 1" thick, 6' tall DIY tube-type pipe insulation traps?

This question seems to be the core of the debate between using a hollow, "sealed" tube, and fully packed tube, of the same size (and safe to assume tri-corner placement?)

-Tony

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #102 on: 17 Oct 2009, 01:46 pm »

This question seems to be the core of the debate between using a hollow, "sealed" tube, and fully packed tube, of the same size (and safe to assume tri-corner placement?)

-Tony

Except that the bags of insulation do not have the 1" thick rigid fiberglass pipe insulation surrounding them, whether or not the pipe insulation tubes would be filled.  I plan to leave the tubes sealed and unfilled in my 1st attempt.

bmckenney

« Reply #103 on: 17 Oct 2009, 02:09 pm »

-Tony

Except that the bags of insulation do not have the 1" thick rigid fiberglass pipe insulation surrounding them, whether or not the pipe insulation tubes would be filled.  I plan to leave the tubes sealed and unfilled in my 1st attempt.

But the bags are insulation just like the pipes.  I'd say they are the equivalent of pipe insulation filled and capped and the foil backing paper removed.  Density might be slightly different but I can't imagine it's something that anyone can actually hear.  The bags are great for a temporary experiment, and make my room look like I'm about to embark on a reno.  Believe me, i won't be posting any pictures of my showroom.  The pipe insulation tubes done right are a pretty good "keeper" DIY project that to me would look acceptable in a dedicated listening room but not in a living room within a house that happened to have the optional wife included.  To me these two approaches serve two different purposes, but likely achieve similar sonic results because they sure seem pretty similar from a materials point of view.  And then there is the manufactured products from GIK and RT, which is my next move.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #104 on: 17 Oct 2009, 02:52 pm »
A 16" or 20", 1" wall, unfilled, uncapped tube IMO won't compare to a chunk bale of insulation.

Bryan

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #105 on: 17 Oct 2009, 07:02 pm »
The reason that I was asking about the bales v. pipe insulation traps is that there is 2.5' X 5.0' area in the front left corner of my room that had contained a built in cabinet that I demolished, and I want to install more bass trapping in that area.  If I can merely use bales of fiberglass insulation, I can pile up bagged rolls of insulation in that area, floor to ceiling, then built a light-weight frame and attach some acoustic panels (I have six unused 2' X 4' X 2" OC 703 panels) to conceal the rolls of insulation, which would be a lot easier and less expensive than building pipe insulation traps.

If I use bags of fiberglass insulation, what should I buy?  Faced or unfaced?  Any specific density/R-value?   :scratch:

Home Depot, here I come.   :D

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #106 on: 17 Oct 2009, 07:05 pm »
Save your money and buy unfaced.  In the bale, it's actually compressed to a tighter density than 703 but pretty much anything will work OK.  What you're describing should be fine.

Bryan

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #107 on: 21 Oct 2009, 09:21 pm »
Hi bmckenney,

But the bags are insulation just like the pipes.  I'd say they are the equivalent of pipe insulation filled and capped and the foil backing paper removed.  Density might be slightly different but I can't imagine it's something that anyone can actually hear...

Actually, they're not the same at all.  The sealed tubes create a resistance to the wave as the wave penetrates the wall.  Once inside, the resistance changes (drops) radically.  This is part of how these work.
(More information can be found at the ASC links Tony provided.)

As always, I would suggest comparing the two to hear this for yourself.

Best regards,
Barry
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
www.barrydiamentaudio.com

bmckenney

« Reply #108 on: 22 Oct 2009, 12:47 am »
Hi bmckenney,

But the bags are insulation just like the pipes.  I'd say they are the equivalent of pipe insulation filled and capped and the foil backing paper removed.  Density might be slightly different but I can't imagine it's something that anyone can actually hear...

Actually, they're not the same at all.  The sealed tubes create a resistance to the wave as the wave penetrates the wall.  Once inside, the resistance changes (drops) radically.  This is part of how these work.
(More information can be found at the ASC links Tony provided.)

As always, I would suggest comparing the two to hear this for yourself.

Best regards,
Barry

It's interesting you posted this.  Before I returned the bales of insulation I pulled them out, put them back in, pulled them out again just to see what I was hearing.  After doing so, I really didn't hear much difference at all with them in.  I've been told these things should work, but it really isn't doing much to speak of imo.  Part of the problem could be my experiment hasn't got enough coverage in the room and I should really put 6 bales in play.  But maybe it also has something to do with the way bales work.  16 pieces of insulation squished together in a bag seems very different compared to bass trap panels straddling a corner or a tube style trap.

It looks like you're in the camp of using tubes instead panels.  Is that true?  Or do you just have experience with tubes and can't really say here nor there with respect to panels?  I'm really just curious more than anything.

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #109 on: 22 Oct 2009, 01:56 pm »
Hi bmckenney,

It looks like you're in the camp of using tubes instead panels.  Is that true?...

Yes.

We all know there are many roads to one's audio pleasure.  I'm sure there are folks who will prefer panels to tubes.  (As I always say, ask five folks an audio question and you'll get at least six answers.  ;-})

In all the studios I've worked in (and/or designed) and all the listening rooms I've visited, the ones where the room is addressed with variations of Harry Olsen's "functional sound absorbers", be they ASC's Tube Traps or the better DIY varieties, are the ones I've found -for my ears- the most successful.

Just my perspective.

Best regards,
Barry