Laptop based "server", MAC or Windows 7?

EDS_

Laptop based "server", MAC or Windows 7?
« on: 8 Oct 2009, 05:49 pm »
I am going to go "all-in" with either a MAC or Windows 7 laptop as my front end.  Give me your opinions as to which I should pick and why.  FWiiW I use a MacBooK and iTunes now and like it.  I have new HP on the way with W7.  I'd like to pick a direction and stick with it for a while.

Levi

Re: Laptop based "server", MAC or Windows 7?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2009, 06:13 pm »
Why not have both?  Buy a Mac and load Windows 7.  There, you have the best of both Worlds!

EDS_

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2009, 06:17 pm »
Why not have both?  Buy a Mac and load Windows 7.  There, you have the best of both Worlds!

I have a Mac but hadn't even thought about a W7 dual boot or whatever the proper term is-.

EDS_

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2009, 06:45 pm »
I'm kinda new to this but I plan on going a similar route myself, probably a Mac laptop and a firewire DAC. My question is, would there be any potential problems if I keep my music on an external HD and if not, should my external drive be connected via USB or Firewire? Sorry if that has been answered before.

I use an external drive via USB in and USB out to my Musical Fidelity DAC all the time through my Macbook. 

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2009, 09:12 pm »
How does the USB DAC work?  Do you link software internal to the PC/Mac with the DAC? 

Levi

« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2009, 11:56 pm »
USB DAC is a regular DAC that has USB input.  You then connect your computer to the DAC via USB cable.  Once connected, any sound that will be coming out from your computer should go directly to the USB DAC and out to your speakers.   I use iTunes to play my music when using my computers. 

EDS_

« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2009, 12:26 am »
How does the USB DAC work?  Do you link software internal to the PC/Mac with the DAC?

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/208mfx/

Here you go.

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2009, 12:55 am »
USB DAC is a regular DAC that has USB input.  You then connect your computer to the DAC via USB cable.  Once connected, any sound that will be coming out from your computer should go directly to the USB DAC and out to your speakers.   I use iTunes to play my music when using my computers.

Killer.  So I could use my FLAC files from my Squeeze Server to do the same?  I may have to get one of these. 

K Shep

« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2009, 01:03 am »
I have an iOmega 1tb external hard drive connected via Firewire to a Mac Mini.  I have ripped my CD library in AIFF to the external hard drive.  I play the files in iTunes through the Mac Mini utilizing a USB interconnect to an Ayre USB DAC.  I use an iPhone with a free application called Remote to interface with the Mac.  It is very convenient and sounds wonderful.

Kirk

EDS_

« Reply #9 on: 9 Oct 2009, 01:10 am »
I have an iOmega 1tb external hard drive connected via Firewire to a Mac Mini.  I have ripped my CD library in AIFF to the external hard drive.  I play the files in iTunes through the Mac Mini utilizing a USB interconnect to an Ayre USB DAC.  I use an iPhone with a free application called Remote to interface with the Mac.  It is very convenient and sounds wonderful.

Kirk

How do you like the Ayre?  I haven't heard one but folks I trust assure me it is a winner.

jkelly

« Reply #10 on: 9 Oct 2009, 01:22 am »
This Acer AspireRevo could be an interesting server for the money. ($200)
I believe it has a SATA port on it also.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228

K Shep

« Reply #11 on: 9 Oct 2009, 02:51 am »

Kirk

How do you like the Ayre?  I haven't heard one but folks I trust assure me it is a winner.

I love the way it sounds.  I had the opportunity to audition the DAC a few times before I bought it.  We ripped one of my CDs to a laptop then played the CD in an Ayre C-5xeMP CD player and then played the file (same audio track ripped from my CD) from the laptop through the DAC.  The DAC and the CD player sounded indistinguishable. 

The convenience of the setup is great.  I sit in my listening chair with my iPhone as the remote.  No more fumbling with CDs. 

Levi

« Reply #12 on: 9 Oct 2009, 03:02 am »
Absolutely Bob!

A couple of your nyaudioraver friends are using squeeze box or Logitech transporter with a DAC and sounds great!  You can use your FLAC, WAV, AIF, Apple lossless, MP3, Play movies etc...any sound that comes out of your PC basically.

Killer.  So I could use my FLAC files from my Squeeze Server to do the same?  I may have to get one of these. 

EDS_

« Reply #13 on: 9 Oct 2009, 07:27 pm »

Kirk

I love the way it sounds.  I had the opportunity to audition the DAC a few times before I bought it.  We ripped one of my CDs to a laptop then played the CD in an Ayre C-5xeMP CD player and then played the file (same audio track ripped from my CD) from the laptop through the DAC.  The DAC and the CD player sounded indistinguishable. 

The convenience of the setup is great.  I sit in my listening chair with my iPhone as the remote.  No more fumbling with CDs.

That's awesome. 

K Shep

« Reply #14 on: 9 Oct 2009, 10:48 pm »
EDS_

Are you using an iPod/iPhone with the remote app to interface with you Mac?

Kirk

EDS_

« Reply #15 on: 9 Oct 2009, 11:08 pm »
EDS_

Are you using an iPod/iPhone with the remote app to interface with you Mac?

Kirk

iTouch 8gig with remote app.  Often times I'll run a long (generic light gray) USB cable from my Mac sitting chair-side to the DAC.  Other times I'll set the Mac on top of my Boltz rack and use the iTouch.

The remote app is friggin' awesome if you have not tried it-.

Oh wait you clearly have tried it with your iPhone sorry.

K Shep

« Reply #16 on: 10 Oct 2009, 12:57 am »
I use an external drive via USB in and USB out to my Musical Fidelity DAC all the time through my Macbook.

What type of cable are you using between your Mac and your DAC?

EDS_

« Reply #17 on: 10 Oct 2009, 02:23 am »

What type of cable are you using between your Mac and your DAC?

Low end generic USB 12 ft.  I'm investigating a better USB cable.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #18 on: 10 Oct 2009, 06:17 am »
should my external drive be connected via USB or Firewire?

Do yourself a favour... get a Firewire drive. Besides being faster and more reliable, you can boot off of it if necessary.

I like the LaCie D2.

dave

Levi

« Reply #19 on: 10 Oct 2009, 12:21 pm »
I agree about the firewire drive.  Another advantage firewire drives have is that the interface speed is constant.  Finally, does not use CPU interupts.