Visiting San Francisco - recommendations please!

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Visiting San Francisco - recommendations please!
« on: 7 Oct 2009, 05:04 pm »
I will be visiting San Francisco in November and will likely stay right downtown. Any recommendations for what to see, eat, experience would be greatly appreciated. I will be taking pictures and filming, eating good food, checking out parks and museums, surfing the web in coffee shops, etc., while my friend does her business for a couple of days, then we will hang out together for a day.

I assume that by mid November a windbreaker jacket is de rigeur? How hard is it to get to Stanford and Berkely without a car? Anyone been to the Maritime Museum?

low.pfile

Re: Visiting San Francisco - recommendations please!
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2009, 06:07 pm »
DO NOT x 10 go to fisherman's wharf/pier 39

Do go to the Ferry Building!
walk through Chinatown
Walk through the Presidio. Wonderful natural views of the Golden gate Bridge from the SF side google '1000 steps' trail
SFMOMA and Yerba Buena center for the arts are across the street from one another.

food...so many great places.
random food thoughts
Cafe Delfina (Mission) California Mediterrean Italian
Slanted Door (Embarcadero) asian fusion in the Ferry Building
Zeigeist Bar (Mission) for the subversive biker in you
Bix (North Beach) for martinis
Tosco (North Beach) classic SF lounge
Internet access in the cafes is ubiquitous.

Coffee
Blue Bottle cafe (Downtown/SOMA)- hip chic
Cafe Trieste (north beach) - old school

Caltrain goes from the eastern side of SF straight down to Stanford area. about a 15 minute walk from the Station to campus (likely a shuttle bus avail-not sure though)

BART (subway) goes from downtown SF to the heart of Berkeley

Yes, layers, always layers in SF. and no white tube socks if you know what's good for ya.

Have a fun trip.

PM me if you have specific questions.
« Last Edit: 7 Oct 2009, 10:14 pm by low.pfile »

arthurs

« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2009, 06:12 pm »
Go to the Farallon Islands and see the Great White's...November is perfect timing!

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2009, 06:19 pm »
City Lights Books

Vesuvio's

SFMOMA (already mentioned but a favorite of mine)

de Young Museum

Consider renting a car to drive south on Hwy 1, absolutely stunning. Have fun.

Len

R_burke

« Reply #4 on: 7 Oct 2009, 06:31 pm »
Pick up a local Weekly or Metro - See some shows or at least pick up some music when you're in town  :thumb:

There are great shows every night of the week, you can see established stars as well as great newcomers - Filmore, Boom Boom Room, Cafe du Nord and Slims are just a few of the great venues in SF.

Amoeba Music, Rasputins and Streetlight are excellent music stores with both new and used CDs and Vinyl

low.pfile

« Reply #5 on: 7 Oct 2009, 06:43 pm »

Amoeba Music, Rasputins and Streetlight are excellent music stores with both new and used CDs and Vinyl

Good call R_burke -- I missed the obvious--music. And Amoeba Records is only 1 block from Golden Gate Park--where the deYoung Museum is located. Amoeba Records is an old bowling alley converted to a huge music store!

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 7 Oct 2009, 09:53 pm »
Wow thanks guys - looks like there won't be a lack of things to do! I am really looking forward to this...I have been to several European cities and Mexico City but it will be nice to be a tourist in an historic American city!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct 2009, 12:14 am »
Plenty to do in this town and area.

I'm originally from New York and our opinion of things is that EVERYTHING is smaller than NY.  Well, San Fran may be physically smaller, but it's got lots going on.

John

jazzcourier

« Reply #8 on: 8 Oct 2009, 01:13 am »
San Francisco has a pretty good bus system.A little old,a little slow,and usually crowded.Use it! The funny thing about that city is those darn hills.Something might look walkable on a map,but you have to figure in those hills.
A visit to Haight/Ashbury is always a hoot.At the top of that street is Amoeba records.You can get a bus on Market that will take you within a few blocks.Also in the Market street downtown area is "Biscuits and Blues" at Mason and Geary .Low key Blues club with decent food and often some very good music. It does get chilly,damp and foggy and that is what makes this city so atmospheric. Read the Dashiell Hammett story "Dead yellow women" to prime yourself for the mystery and romance of Chinatown.

hi5harry

« Reply #9 on: 8 Oct 2009, 01:21 am »
Yoshi's . It's a jazz club and a great one. Check out their website and see who"s playing.

Levi

« Reply #10 on: 8 Oct 2009, 01:28 am »
San Francisco has one of the best Audio Shops.  I would definitely check them out! 

K Shep

« Reply #11 on: 8 Oct 2009, 01:46 am »
I second the Ferry Building, great one low.pfle.  Farmers Market every Saturday morning at the Ferry Bldg. 

SF Museum of Modern Art is showing Richard Avedon Photographs 1946-2004 through November.  The Museum is walking distance from downtown. 

If the weather is nice you can rent a bicycle and ride it across the Golden Gate Bridge to the Marin side where there is a great outlook over the entire bay.

Kirk

tonyptony

« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct 2009, 01:11 am »
Restaurant Gary Danko ($$$$)
Ebisu ($$)
Mo's ($)
Swan Oyster Depot ($$)

Go to Oakland one night and eat at Chez Panisse ($$$)

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #13 on: 10 Oct 2009, 01:44 am »
Chinatown has a sort of "main tourist" area as well as non-touristy areas on back streets. You may want to check out the back street areas. Plus, you can order food at those Chinese restaurants that aren't listed on the menu (or at least not the English menu).

Japantown is smaller than Chinatown. Or at least it feels that way to me. But there's a somewhat interesting Japanese restaurant on the interior walkway, which doesn't serve stuff like Chicken Teriyaki and Sushi. I had a kind of egg and tomato sauce covered beef patty there once.

I also recommend SF MOMA.

If you like night clubs, there's a few places that may or may not be to your taste, like Ruby Skye or 1015 Folsom.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 24 Nov 2009, 07:38 am »
Back from San Francisco - thanks again for all the recommendations. Of course I couldn't do everything in a few days - also had a major problem walking with my right foot. I used the cable cars a lot. On Saturday I felt a little better with some orthotic pads in my shoes, and was able to walk form North Beach to California Ave.

Here is what I did - We flew in and checked into the Kensigton Park Hotel, a little boutique hotel off of Union Square. Wednesday night ate at Colibri Mexican Bistro, 438 Geary Street. Not bad at all, a little expensive but we were able to walk in. Probably about normal for downtown SF. I discovered that the iPhone can be terrible at real time directions. It had us walk 4 blocks up Nob Hill. I handled 4 blocks straight up amazingly well but my friend nearly had a heart attack since she was tired. (The next day I watched the moving purple dot on the iPhonne Maps application, updated by Location Service on the iPhone while on the cable car. I watched as it kept going past the turn, and run the cable car through half a block of houses, before getting back on the right street - oh the humanity! Do not rely on the iPhone for real time directions - sometimes it works great, other time not good at all. Kind of hacks me off that San Francisco is the city they used in the iPhone ads...)

Thursday morning I slept in, and tried to rest my foot. Thursday afternoon I shot photos and video from the cable cars and had a great time.

I went to a cafe. I went to the Cable Car Museum.

I went to Fishermans Warf and ate a pound of fresh Dungeness Crab and a bread bowl of Clam Chowder. I switched Cable Car lines and went the Aquatic Park and Ghihardelli Square, bought some Hot Chocolate powder and had some Chocolate Ice Cream. That evening I took the Bart to Walnut Creek and met my friend and her colleagues for an excellent dinner at a local restaurant. We had Old Vine Zinfandel and I had Beef Short Ribs.

Friday afternoon my friend was able to join me and we went from Union Square via cable car, switched to the California line and went to the Ferry Building. I had and excellent Ginger Beef Bowl at DeliCA and also an excellent bowl of lentil soup from Mohito.

We got some amazing pictures from the Sausolito-Larkspur pier observation deck.

We then went to the Embarcadero Center and saw the ice skating rink, some childrens choirs and got some Sees candy.

That night we went to Union Square and the Crocker Galleria which was closed at 7pm! We went to Macy's and the Starbuck's on the 7th floor.

Later we went to the Cheescake factory on the roof of Macy's, because we were tired and hungry. This turned out to be quite an experience - we at outdoors overlooking Union Square in November! Fortunately we had no wait to go outdoors and with the gas heaters it was not chilly at all.

Saturday was a big day - we went back to the Ferry Building and the Farmers Market for breakfast. Italian pepper turkey and provolone with basil pesto sandwich, pastries and coffee, plus apples from the Farmers Market.

We took the ferry to Sausolito and turned right around.

Next we took a cab to Cafe Trieste where we grabbed prime seats for the famous Saturday Concert. Here Papa Giani sings about Napoli. This concert is happening now only about once a month but we got luck this Saturday. Pappa Giani and Mama have been married for 70 years. Yes, there were some 60 year-old Hippies there, but it was more of an old Naples afternoon. We had pan pizza and pastries with our 2 cappuccinos. Then we slowed down with some diet coke. Our friends met us there, and had wine. I was looking forward to mandolins, but there were 2 synthesizer accordians, an electric base, amplified upright piano, and electric acoustic guitar. The congas made it better. Good music and fun. Basically the family of owners each sang a few songs. Next we walked down to the City Lights bookstore. Interesting, historic, but inflated prices (a $6 philosophy booklet was marked up to 8.95 and a $29 book was marked up to $39, so I decided to get them on Amazon instead).

We walked by Vesuvios and the "sex district" on down to California Avenue.

Lots of great photos. That night we had an expensive seafood dinner at Farallon next to our hotel. Supposedly one for the 10 best for seafood in SF - definitely one of the 10 most expensive.

Sunday morning we had an excellent brunch at Scalas Bistro next to the Francis Drake hotel. I had an excellent tomato-based corned beef hash with unshredded corned beef and poached eggs on top, also some apple pancakes.

All in all a wonderful time. I loved the palm trees in this climate. I wanted to get to Golden Gate Park and audio stores, but that will have to be another trip. See some more of my SF pics here

TheChairGuy

« Reply #15 on: 24 Nov 2009, 01:44 pm »
Wow :o You got quite a dose of SF in a short period of time, jqp :thumb:

John

jimdgoulding

« Reply #16 on: 25 Nov 2009, 04:34 pm »
Sounds like you done good, friend.  My wife's first morning in SF, we caught the 30 Stockton (just like I used to do in the old days) and walked up Grant to the Cafe Trieste for coffee.  When the bus pulled along side of Washington Sq, my wife was looking at this guy outside doing Tai Chi, I'll never forget what she said . . What the fuque is wrong with that guy?!  She was so country.  Great city.  Returning for a visit this coming year.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #17 on: 25 Nov 2009, 07:54 pm »
Don't miss the De Young Museum in Golden Gate Park. Spectacular architecture and great art.

-Roy

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #18 on: 25 Nov 2009, 08:07 pm »
Also the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 4 Dec 2009, 03:50 am »
There was a lot I didn't get to see. Hopefully I can get back sometime soon with my foot back to normal.

I did get to ride these cable car lines