HELP!! BUSTED PRE!!

kingdeezie

HELP!! BUSTED PRE!!
« on: 7 Oct 2009, 02:13 am »
I also sent this in an email to Bill, but I am pretty frazzled right now so I don't know what else to do...

So, I received BRM's preamp today...

I got home from work a little late, but I wanted to do a listen to the preamp and see how it sounds.

I hooked my DAC into input two, and my Odyssey Stratos Mono Extreme SEs into the low ouput input of the preamp.

I turned on the preamp and everything was fine...

I turned up the volume, and there was absolutely no sound.

I bent down to check the DAC and make sure it was okay, and I got shocked from it; and not like I scrapped my socks across the carpets shocked, I mean like the DAC chassis was carrying some voltage or something.

I quickly shut everything off, took a couple of minutes, and started over connecting one thing at a time again like I had before.

Again no sound, but at least this time the DAC wasn't cookin like it was  before.

I can't for the life of me figure out what has happened. Everything worked fine with the last preamp, and I have never had a problem like this.

I have no idea where to start to look, I'm afraid the whole system is now cooked...

Could something have been damaged during shipping or something?

Everything still turns on and lights up, but there is no sound coming out of anything...

Any ideas...

What the hell??

Any suggestions...

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: HELP!! BUSTED PRE!!
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2009, 02:21 am »
Sorry to hear about your troubles. As a quick, simple question, did you turn on the power to the remote control. The remote system has to be turned on prior to using the pre. This can be doneon the handset. Also be sure that the preamp has a warmup time of at least 60 seconds prior to turning on your amp.

kingdeezie

« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2009, 02:30 am »
Something is off....

I did turn the preamp on via the remote, the numbers were on display...

Something else happened, I went to switch the RCAs on the back of the unit, to see if maybe something was wrong with the input and I got shocked again!!!

I can't figure out what is going on...

I'm afraid to touch anything because I don't know what's live or not...

Could the Power Cable be screwed up or something?

What would cause things to be transmitting voltage?

kingdeezie

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2009, 02:53 am »
Well, what was supposed to be a fun exciting night has turned into a nightmare...

With, potentially the entirety of my system being busted... nothings working...

I'm gonna hit the sack, if anyone has an opinions, please post...

droht

« Reply #4 on: 7 Oct 2009, 03:02 am »
Do you still have the MAD pre?  Try it with that if so.

kingdeezie

« Reply #5 on: 7 Oct 2009, 01:34 pm »
I no longer have the MAD preamp. Part of the deal with BRM was for that in trade....

I haven't went back to it, I am working 12 hours today and tommorow.

I have no idea what could possibly be the case here...

Either the preamp is sending out voltage through its input RCAs, or, of EXTREME coincidence the DAC has broken in the few days it hasn't been used and is sending voltage through its RCAs....

I tend to think that the preamp, which is the new component, has to be causing the problem; especially since it came to me UPS; and they are notrious for screwing stuff up.

I don't know what could possibly could have happened to it though. As far as I can tell, there is nothing that looks horribly wrong. I turned the preamp on disconnected from everything and it turned on okay. It was dead silent, and the tubes lit up as should be expected...

The power supply is also isolated from everything else, so I can't imagine its touching anything its not supposed to be.

I am so confused.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #6 on: 7 Oct 2009, 02:32 pm »
Where do you live?  I can send you a passive attenuator for you to use to see if everything but the pre is working.  It's a DIY from a kit that I used at one time to attenuate the tube amps when I was passively biamping.

P.S. I am sure Bill will take care of it if the preamp is the culprit.  Bill has always taken care of this customers AFAIK.  I know from personal experiences.

arthurs

« Reply #7 on: 7 Oct 2009, 02:35 pm »
Bummer Chris, I can't begin to imagine what may be going on there....   :scratch:

One bright spot in the darkness, Bill Baker is a standout in the industry IMO, and really an all aaround good guy.  If there's any issue with the pre, I just know he'll help you make everything work and sound great.  Hell, knowing Bill he'll help even if it's something else!   :thumb:

EDIT: Second bright spot, Win's kind offer, well done Win, well done. 

bluemike

« Reply #8 on: 7 Oct 2009, 02:36 pm »
That's a kind gesture Win - Good on you for doing this  :thumb:

kingdeezie

« Reply #9 on: 7 Oct 2009, 02:55 pm »
I talked to Bill on the phone a little bit ago, and him and I are going to run through some things tonight...

Hopefully it all works out...

If everything is busted, I'll be so screwed...

W, thank you very much for that offer, if things between Bill and I don't work out I would very much appreciate that.

Here's to hoping  :cry:

kingdeezie

« Reply #10 on: 8 Oct 2009, 02:31 am »
I know in all likely hood no one is actively following this thread except maybe for me, but just an update...

I got in touch with Bill today from Response at around 0930 PM; awesome guy to chat with  :thumb:

Bill had me go through a few different trouble shooting options, and we got sound at one point for a brief few seconds and it was truly glorious!!   aa

Unfortunately, it slowly faded out again, which has lead to two options...

1) The tubes I have in there went bad....
2) During its journey to my house from BRM's, UPS probably treated it a little too rough, and there is a slight possibility that underneath where the tubes reside, something came loose. (hopefully not the case, since I am not clever enough to repair it on my own, and it would need a trip back to Response). 

I hope its a tubes issue, but Bill has offered to help me take care of the problem in any event....

Awesome customer service...

Despite being music-less right now, I am pretty excited about the whole thing...

That brief few seconds of music sounded ridiculously good; I can't wait for more...

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #11 on: 8 Oct 2009, 02:39 am »
I think quite a few people have been following your situation. It looks like 142 views, not too shabby. But I know I was just scratching my head and no idea how to help. Glad you talked to Bill. He is a great guy so I am not surprised he is willing to help you get this solved.

Really hope it works out ok.

-Tony

ltr317

« Reply #12 on: 8 Oct 2009, 02:42 am »
If you eventually have to ship the unit to Response, try USPS or Fedex.  I've shipped hundreds of items with either of them, and only once had something damaged.  Luckily, it was covered by insurance.  Hope it is the tubes that are bad. 

Paul

kingdeezie

« Reply #13 on: 9 Oct 2009, 09:35 pm »
Quick update....

I found a place that sells tubes, so I ran over there and picked some up...

Put the new tubes in, turned it on, and the same thing happened...

So, back to Response Audio it goes....

Hopefully Bill finds a problem to speak of, and its a quick fix....

kingdeezie

« Reply #14 on: 13 Oct 2009, 08:00 pm »
So, got in touch with Bill today shortly....

The preamp made the trip up to him without incident!!  :thumb:

I know, lame update. I am losing my mind without my music though....

Bill said he will hopefully get to looking at it tonight; hopefully the solution is quick.

carusoracer

« Reply #15 on: 13 Oct 2009, 08:51 pm »
I'm sure it will work out. You are dealing with two very trust worthy individuals. I can speak from dealing with both parties.
Hang in there.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #16 on: 13 Oct 2009, 11:06 pm »
I think the tube socket sounds like the culprit but given the foam liner in the box......  Didn't know you had a thread on this.  My mom passed away last week so I've been quite detached and distracted from all things audio.

BTW, got the preamp from USPS today and it is laying out on the kitchen table but I need an amp to try it with.  Might have to snag one from the HT.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #17 on: 13 Oct 2009, 11:13 pm »
Not to distract from the thread but I am sorry to hear about your loss Big Red Machine.

kingdeezie

« Reply #18 on: 14 Oct 2009, 01:51 pm »
BRM, I apologize if at any time in this thread I appeared to be blaming anyone.

I initially created this thread because I was a little "jolted" by the fact that things in my system were electrocuting me; and I wanted to see if anyone had experianced something similar, or perhaps had a clue of what was going on.

I've continued to update it in an effort to, after making the situation public, follow-up and let anyone who had read this thread know that I was being taken care of by Bill.

In any event I'll keep you updated; hopefully Bill has some news today for me; I am sure he is extremely busy.

:thumb: LETS GO GOOD NEWS!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2009, 09:11 pm »
I don't mind posting here with issues or problems associated with our products as long as it is done with integrity and not an attempt at simply slandering without knowing the facts.

The preamp arrived yesterday so I unpacked it last night and put it on the bench for today.

The first thing I did was go through it visually to assure there were no broken leads or shorts in the circuit. Everything 'looked' go.

Now to the test bench where it was powered up and voltage measurements taken. Everything is within specs. I measure the input and output connectors with and without anything connected to see if there was anything present that would cause the shock mentioned. I even ran my hands across all connectors. Nothing there.

Further test were taken with the scope and generators and the signal looks perfect. I disconnected all the test equipment and hooked it into a system where it has been playing perfectly for a while now. Started with the Doors, then Louis Armstrong and now have the cable box running through while I watch (and listen to) NCIS :D

I will continue to go through it this evening and if everything works out perfectly, will get it back to the owner so we can walk through setting it up from scratch on the phone.