OB servo subs - output and EQ

Danny Richie

Re: OB servo subs - output and EQ
« Reply #40 on: 28 Jan 2011, 03:33 pm »
If one wanted to go for a semi-ob application, how big of an enclosure volume would each 16ohm driver require? I read somewhere that 1.5x the Vas was good rule of thumb for an IB effect.  I would still pair them up to an amp, and keep the drivers very close together.

The SW-12-16FR need at least 3.5 cubic feet of air space or greater (per woofer).

Would this give me the very low end output (~20hz area for HT) with 1 16ohm driver equivalent to a 4 ohm sealed version?

The servo controls the low end extension so it is going to play flat to 20Hz regardless. All of our servo subs do that. But the 16FR version in a large box or infinite baffle will give back a lot of head room to the amp as it will not have to add as much gain to maintain that linearity.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #41 on: 28 Jan 2011, 03:44 pm »
Dave,

We can take the max excursion limit example to the extreme say we want to drive 15mm excursion at 80hz. That is not practical because that amp can be 5,000W and  it will destroy the driver in a second at anything lower than 80hz. The Max Excursion is really not just a number. A lot of IB and OB drivers are plagued with two things: 1) constant bottoming (at subsonic frequencies) and 2) no sufficient passband output. My explanation connected these two together.  Actually it is quite easy to modify Siegfried's spreadsheet by adding correcting factor related to Q.

Steve,

I understand what you are saying. The 105db Danny mentioned was the peak from an actual music playing.  It is not the max from 20hz single tone output.  Although the front row position does mimic more like near field results. I calculate that four 12" in OB will have about the same output as one 12" in sealed with the same excursion limit, which is about 101db with 14mm of one way excursion at 20hz. What can be gained from the driver itself is the SW12-16 driver has a voice coil winding width of 2.2", about 0.6" longer than SW12-4. That translates to additional output. In short, Servo does not change the physical world. To take advantage, we need to think outside the box about what parameters are most helpful in squeezing out additional output. It is all very subtle, 20% here and 20% there.... 

BTW, one single A370 can drive up to 4 SW12-16. I haven't seen anyone going to that extreme.  :lol:

Brian

Danny, thanks. -but just want to clarify on my question, to be sure I understand though..
Would the 4 of the 16ohm ob sub drivers, now put into an IB sized enclosure, now equal 4 sealed 4ohm subs, or still just 1? -at 20hz

Danny Richie

« Reply #42 on: 28 Jan 2011, 04:22 pm »
Danny, thanks. -but just want to clarify on my question, to be sure I understand though..
Would the 4 of the 16ohm ob sub drivers, now put into an IB sized enclosure, now equal 4 sealed 4ohm subs, or still just 1? -at 20hz

Keep in mind that with four of them you will need two amps to drive them.

In a proper sized sealed enclosure each of the 16FR's will have just as much output capability as the 4 ohm version woofers will.