New products

rlee8394

New products
« on: 4 Oct 2009, 08:10 pm »
We will have final prototypes (but without final cosmetics) of our amazing new Ultravalve vacuum tube power amplifiers, and prototypes of other products in final development too.

How about some info on these new products? It's day three and no news yet?

Ron

orthobiz

Re: New products
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2009, 12:29 am »
And a picture of Frank, too!

Paul

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2009, 03:05 am »
The UltraValve prototypes have a very nicely executed chassis, although Frank has not finalized his decision about the faceplate, I believe.  The UltraValve amps were operated in mono, using an Insight Phase Inverter Bridge, and in stereo.  According to Frank, the amps are rated 60 watts in mono and 30 watts per channel in stereo.

I don't know about the differences, sonically, between the UltraValve and the Ultimate 70, but the UltraValves performed flawlessly in the exhibition room.  They also look great.  The chassis is gleaming stainless steel, and with the driver board located below the top plate, the chassis houses a top-performing amplifier in a classic style with a very sophisticated appearance.  They are under-priced, too, IMO.  After visiting many rooms at RMAF and discovering the costs of other manufacturers' equipment, I have a much deeper appreciation for both the quality and the value of Frank's equipment, not only when considering the material and production costs of his gear, but also since I know more about the enormous amount that Frank spends on development.  Obviously, critical evaluation of specific components is not entirely possible at RMAF, IMO, but there were many rooms in which the sound was grainy where the amplification cost many, many times that of the AVA gear.   

If I didn't already have an Ultimate 70 in my system, I would order an UltraValve today.  This is a terrific amplifier at a bargain price.  Frank didn't say how long the introductory pricing would be in effect.   

rlee8394

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2009, 04:16 am »
Yeah, the UltraValve has been in the works for quite some time and really isn't news to us here on AC. It is the other electronics that I am curious about. New circuits for the Insight, T8, or Ultra lines maybe?

Ron

avahifi_lj

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2009, 01:38 pm »
Hi:

You are correct that the U70 and the UltraValve share the same circuit.  There are, however, a couple of changes in the board grounding on the UltraValve to further reduce idle noise.

Larry

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2009, 05:28 pm »
The Ultravalve does not share the PC card or important features with the Ultimate 70, or its much better internal layout and functionality.  We kept the basic external mechanical layout of the transformers and tube sockets because it was logical, works well, and is easy to build.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2009, 06:13 pm »
Here is a photo of the new Ultravalve with the unfinished faceplate.

Listen2tubes took better pictures if you could post them.

Wayner  :D

rlee8394

« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2009, 07:03 pm »
And of the other prototype electronics????

Ron

avahifi

« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2009, 07:05 pm »
Different PC cards because slightly different circuits but with important differences. :)

Boards not interchangeable with each other.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Minn Mark

« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2009, 08:37 pm »
Wayner,
Thanks for sharing the picture but,.....aren't those some scary big wires attached to the back of the amp??  Does not look like lamp cord to me...hope they didn't negatively influence the audio??  :lol:

Will be waiting for more pics and more report for those of us who could not be with you there.

Thanks,

Mark

Waker

« Reply #10 on: 6 Oct 2009, 09:51 pm »

.....aren't those some scary big wires attached to the back of the amp??  Does not look like lamp cord to me...hope they didn't negatively influence the audio??  :l
Someone has a lotof explaining to do........

Waker

« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2009, 09:55 pm »
Sorry Mark, not your words, but mine on the last line.  Yeah, where is that zip cord Frank has so vehemently defended over the years?   

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 7 Oct 2009, 02:23 am »
Those were Jim Salk's cables. We later used the infamous Hemp Cables which were much more to the ranks of AVA.

Wayner  aa

Listens2tubes

« Reply #13 on: 10 Oct 2009, 01:06 am »

Still learning my new camera's features.

avahifi

« Reply #14 on: 10 Oct 2009, 11:28 am »
The black AVA adhesive label on this faceplate is temporary. I did not have time to execute the finished double anodized (clear background, black text and graphics) finished faceplate artwork before the RMAF show.  The final chassis prototype arrived only on Monday before we had to head for Denver and was a last second build for me.

As of now, the final PC card is under construction, the first batch of production metal is ordered, the back panel label is under way by Wayner, and the special packing material is being designed too. 

We hope to be shipping in about six weeks, and the first orders are in the books already, although I could probably do most of the first production run just filling the demands for review samples by various audiophile magazines.  :)

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #15 on: 10 Oct 2009, 10:05 pm »
I could probably do most of the first production run just filling the demands for review samples by various audiophile magazines.  :)

That's what we like to hear.   :D

gjs_cds

« Reply #16 on: 11 Oct 2009, 12:34 am »
I could probably do most of the first production run just filling the demands for review samples by various audiophile magazines.  :)

That's what we like to hear.   :D

Seriously!  Such a great "problem" to have :)

simon wagstaff

« Reply #17 on: 11 Oct 2009, 11:40 am »
Now I am a little confused about the Ultravalve. A little while back I was told that it was pretty much identical to the U70, just a different case. If I wanted to set up a pair of them bridged using the inverter no problem with a U70 on one side and and Ultravalve on the other. Now it seems the Ultravalve is an improved amp (not sure how THAT could happen) with a different sound.

so, should I think about picking up a used U70 and doing the bridged thing or should I think about trying to sell my U70 and getting an ultravalve?

Or, more likely, should I just not worry about it since my current U70 is pretty darn amazing (just got a set of audioquest interconnects and speaker cable and things are even MORE dynamic and transparent) and just sit back and continue to enjoy it, knowing it is 98% of the way to an Ultravalve?

???????

:)

Wayner

« Reply #18 on: 11 Oct 2009, 11:47 am »
Did you do the recent upgrade? If not, visit Frank's website for some new information on the U70 and this free upgrade!

Wayner  :D

simon wagstaff

« Reply #19 on: 11 Oct 2009, 01:43 pm »
Yep, did the upgrade just as soon as it was posted. To paraphrase Sir Winston "never before has so much been offered to so few for so little"

Or something like that. The U70 was very nice before, now it is totally amazing and I hear something new every time I listen to it. Listened to a couple of DVD-A yesterday Alan Parson "Eye in the Sky" and "Turn of a Friendly Card.  Again, music I have heard over and over and still new things, little cymbal splashes, vocal details I had never heard before.

I think option C is my best bet, sit back and enjoy!