Thinking about a pair of Salks...

fishinbob

Re: Thinking about a pair of Salks...
« Reply #40 on: 30 Sep 2009, 02:18 pm »
Personally I wouldn't short change my HT with inferior mains. Your setup, as shown, doesn't seem to lend itself to the smaller bookshelf speakers some have recommended. For those who feel that HT sound doesn't make use of high quality speaker, I beg to differ. Some of the most impressive music I have heard on my RTs were on Bluray  :thumb: I still can't get over the organ scene in August Rush :o

Judging by your taste in displays, I doubt you will be content with a compromise for your main speakers. Integrate the sub with the mains not vice-versa.

KURO rocks.

funkmonkey

« Reply #41 on: 30 Sep 2009, 02:31 pm »
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Jim's HTS speakers (http://www.salksound.com/speakers_hts.shtml) as an option...  looks like he will even sell them in kit form to save a couple of hundred by doing the assembly yourself, you could get left, right, and center for about $2000, keep the orbs for surrounds and use the rest for a decent sub.

Nuance

« Reply #42 on: 30 Sep 2009, 04:59 pm »
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Jim's HTS speakers (http://www.salksound.com/speakers_hts.shtml) as an option...  looks like he will even sell them in kit form to save a couple of hundred by doing the assembly yourself, you could get left, right, and center for about $2000, keep the orbs for surrounds and use the rest for a decent sub.

+1.  That's what I was going to say after I saw TJHUB's response, but you beat me to it.  Some of the different versions of the HTS speakers also have a higher sensitivity depending on how they are set up (wall mounted, flush wall mounted or free standing), and that's a good thing for Home Theater.

It all depends on if the OP wants to stick with the Salk brand just to hear what all the commotion is about, or if he's just looking for a good HT system within his budget.  If it's the former then we shouldn't try to talk him out of Salk speakers, but if it's the later there are, of course, other options out there that will suit his needs.  Yes, this is the Salk forum, but we won't recommend something that just simply isn't feasible for the OP, but only he can decide. 

chargedmr2

« Reply #43 on: 30 Sep 2009, 05:47 pm »
Wow.  Lots more food for thought.  Let me try to add some more regarding what I am looking for at the time being. 

Regarding the budget:  $3000 will be dedicated to get started, and more will be added later to complete the project.

Concerning the appearance of the speakers--this is very important since they must get the approval from my lovely wife.

But more importantly, regarding the use of the audio equipment-- it will be primarily used for movies, but I may have overstated this when indicating 90% HT and 10% music.  In the end, I just don't want to end up with a system that is lacking for HT use (this is subjective of course, but I think you know what I mean).  At the same time, I would like speakers that have the ability to produce very nice 2 channel (maybe 2.1 channel) sound for music. 

audiocrazy

« Reply #44 on: 30 Sep 2009, 06:10 pm »
Wow.  Lots more food for thought.  Let me try to add some more regarding what I am looking for at the time being. 

Regarding the budget:  $3000 will be dedicated to get started, and more will be added later to complete the project.

Concerning the appearance of the speakers--this is very important since they must get the approval from my lovely wife.

But more importantly, regarding the use of the audio equipment-- it will be primarily used for movies, but I may have overstated this when indicating 90% HT and 10% music.  In the end, I just don't want to end up with a system that is lacking for HT use (this is subjective of course, but I think you know what I mean).  At the same time, I would like speakers that have the ability to produce very nice 2 channel (maybe 2.1 channel) sound for music.
I had the Polk LSi series setup that is well regarded speakers. The mains were LSi15 and they have a dedicated 10" woofer.
I also had the same concern about HT performance when I was planning to upgrade to Song series earlier this year.
Jim had a ST towers for immediate sale and I jumped on it. After listening to ST's for a week I could not resist the urge to upgrade all my speaker to Song series. So I ended up getting Center and Surrounds as well.
Now I have a song series HT setup and I really love it. :thumb:
I don't regret my decision at all.
After upgrading to ST's I've found myself listening more to music then ever.
ST are a great value and they are the best speakers i've owned to date. Some day I plan on upgrading to HT2-TL's but for now the ST are keeping me very happy. :D

Nuance

« Reply #45 on: 30 Sep 2009, 09:00 pm »

Good to know.  In that case I'll stick with the SongTower recommendation, or if bookshelf speakers are needed, the SongSurround II's or I's.  They will perform wonderfully for double duty music and movies reproduction.  Just be sure not to skimp on the subwoofer.  ;)

JP78

« Reply #46 on: 4 Oct 2009, 04:51 am »
I suppose it would be possible to convert the OP over to more music, but that's for him to decide.  It's very difficult to recommend $1,800.00+ speakers with such a small budget for all that gear anyway, but factor in the primary use for HT and I just don't think Salk makes the list.  Switch things around to the OP's budget not including a receiver and a higher percentage of music listening with a desire for finish type and quality, I'd quickly change my recommendation.   

Thank you for saying what I was thinking but am unable to say with any credibility, mostly because I don't own a pair of Salks...yet!  :)

With regards to the OP - there are several recommendations I would have for other speakers that may fit your needs better, but it's not appropriate to recommend them in your thread. If you're looking for more great ideas, I strongly recommend you post this same question in one of the more general (non-manufacturer) circles.

Best,

charmerci

« Reply #47 on: 4 Oct 2009, 11:07 am »
How about starting with the MBOW1/CAOW1 with a sub and then when your budget allows later, relegating those to the rear channels?

K Shep

« Reply #48 on: 4 Oct 2009, 03:25 pm »
I suppose it would be possible to convert the OP over to more music, but that's for him to decide.  It's very difficult to recommend $1,800.00+ speakers with such a small budget for all that gear anyway, but factor in the primary use for HT and I just don't think Salk makes the list.  Switch things around to the OP's budget not including a receiver and a higher percentage of music listening with a desire for finish type and quality, I'd quickly change my recommendation.   

Thank you for saying what I was thinking but am unable to say with any credibility, mostly because I don't own a pair of Salks...yet!  :)

With regards to the OP - there are several recommendations I would have for other speakers that may fit your needs better, but it's not appropriate to recommend them in your thread. If you're looking for more great ideas, I strongly recommend you post this same question in one of the more general (non-manufacturer) circles.

Best,

JP,

Your opinion counts no matter which thread you are in.  Stepping back, I think if I had a limited budget I may look at other less expensive options (than STs at $1800).  For what its worth in my HT I have an Atlantic Technology LCR (on-wall) that supports my front channels.  100 year old house, limited space, in-walls not an option, towers out of the question.  But I am a 2 channel guy and when the OP suggested 10% towards music all I hear is MUSIC.  So forgive me for pushing STs.

Kirk

Nuance

« Reply #49 on: 4 Oct 2009, 04:43 pm »
Atlantic Tech makes great speakers for HT, or so I've read. 

TJHUB

« Reply #50 on: 5 Oct 2009, 12:26 am »

Best,

JP,

Your opinion counts no matter which thread you are in.  Stepping back, I think if I had a limited budget I may look at other less expensive options (than STs at $1800).  For what its worth in my HT I have an Atlantic Technology LCR (on-wall) that supports my front channels.  100 year old house, limited space, in-walls not an option, towers out of the question.  But I am a 2 channel guy and when the OP suggested 10% towards music all I hear is MUSIC.  So forgive me for pushing STs.

Kirk

As far as I'm concerned, every Salk owner is a lucky bastage!  :D  The SongTower RTs and my HT2-TLs are the by far the best speakers I've heard.  However, that certainly doesn't mean they are for everyone and every budget. 

My recommendation for the Emotiva speakers was solely based on the fact that they are very decent speakers for almost no money.  $129.00 each!  With a low budget, I'd be all over them.  I'm having a hard time not ordering 3 for my basement setup. 

The OP never made any statements referencing any type of particular sound or goal.  And no offense meant, but the OP suggests placing speakers in the media center.  This is not the type of person that should be spending a lot of money on high quality speakers, including the ultimate value STs.  This is a person who most likely would be extremely satisfied with a cheaper "good" speaker.  The Emotiva speakers fit this situation perfectly and have boundry adjustment on the speakers themselves for this type of placement.

So again, the OP doesn't sound like a Salk owner to me.  If the OP would have made statements like: "I'm looking for the best sound for...", "I have an upgrade path of...", "I really want a pair of ST, but...", etc. 

I'm not saying don't get the STs.  I actually feel envious of younger owners or people just getting into the hobby picking up a pair of STs to start.  What a fantastic start!  I really wish I had had the fortune of such a thing!

There are many great recommendations on this thread for the OP.  As a matter of fact, probably too many.  I don't know how much any of us helped the OP with the decision of which way to go.  :roll: :D