New Super-V model (that is going to the show) with pics!

Danny Richie

Re: New Super-V model (that is going to the show) with pics!
« Reply #80 on: 30 Nov 2009, 11:01 pm »
The kit comes with everything you need minus the lumber.

There is a pic of the exposed crossover just above. Parts quality is top notch.

You can also drive them with anything. They have high sensitivity and an easy 8 ohm impedance load.

lowtech

« Reply #81 on: 1 Dec 2009, 01:27 am »
Hey Lowtech,

You never told us about your current system.

Didn't realize anyone cared to know.

What I'm using likely wouldn't satisfy your ears.  For the record I just parted ways with a DIY set of speakers I built several years ago based on Manger wave-bending transducers.  I'm currently looking for a replacement but doubt it will be anything that uses a pro-audio coax with a compression HF driver.  Maybe sl_1800 (Steve?) will make me an attractive offer on his Orions?   :D  The two different sets of Orions that I have heard have sounded more like live music than anything else I've ever heard.  In that regard I guess DM and I have something in common.    :green:

seaverd

« Reply #82 on: 1 Dec 2009, 11:28 am »
How would the Super V's be for home theater use as this is 80% of our use?  What would you recommend for a center?  Would AV1RS work for surrounds?

Thanks,

Dan

Danny Richie

« Reply #83 on: 1 Dec 2009, 09:54 pm »
As long as you can pull them 3 feet or more out from the wall then they will be great for home theater.

A single, matching, coaxial driver in a small ported box would match well as a center channel too.

jn316

« Reply #84 on: 2 Dec 2009, 04:37 am »
A single, matching, coaxial driver in a small ported box would match well as a center channel too.

Hmmmm? Might this be in the design stage?

Gary

Danny Richie

« Reply #85 on: 2 Dec 2009, 02:33 pm »
Didn't realize anyone cared to know.

I kind of had the feeling that maybe you had been there done that, built or owned some of your own open baffle designs. Knowing your experiences would add a little validity to your comments.

Bear

« Reply #86 on: 3 Dec 2009, 01:40 am »
Danny....you threw out 2495 for super v......what's included ? sub amps, anything else, and how soon are they available ? Where might one have a listen about the states ? and when ?

Super V on axis response:

I have tweaked the top end a little since this one. The crossover point is right at 1kHz.

Here is the impedance:

Super V kits will be $2,495. I have actually shipped a good handful already. The kit includes everything but the cabinets.

I moved so many of these and the standard V-1 in such a short time that I sold out of SW-12-16FR subs. I ordered more several weeks ago and hope to see them arriving by mid Dec.

Strangely most of these have been shipped to other countries. Four pairs to the UK, then Vietnam, Australia, New Zealand, Canada....

If you are in the Maryland area then you can hear the pair that went to the RMAF.

based on the answer above, am I correct to assume the kit includes the sub amps?

drivers  :thumb:
x over components  :thumb:
sub amps  :dunno:
cabinets  :nono:

thanks
shane

Danny Richie

« Reply #87 on: 3 Dec 2009, 01:58 am »
The kit includes everything (including the servo controlled sub woofer amps) except for the lumber.

tasar

« Reply #88 on: 5 Dec 2009, 03:03 pm »
That DAC is a brand new product designed by one of the leading digital guru's of the industry.

Danny.....the rip process removes the clock leaving only left and right audio data, which is to say the DAC's receiver takes over a pure signal. This is why it sounds better off the drive.

Who's the "guru" and what else can you tell us now re listening thru this DAC ?

Danny Richie

« Reply #89 on: 6 Dec 2009, 08:15 pm »
Who's the "guru" and what else can you tell us now re listening thru this DAC ?

See link for new info:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=74816.new#new

tasar

« Reply #90 on: 12 Dec 2009, 12:50 am »
Sooooo.......with a battery supplied power supply, one must wonder how the sonics endure as the impedance is changing......kind of like too many beers over a long listen

Danny Richie

« Reply #91 on: 12 Dec 2009, 05:22 am »
Sooooo.......with a battery supplied power supply, one must wonder how the sonics endure as the impedance is changing......kind of like too many beers over a long listen

Rock steady man.

tasar

« Reply #92 on: 13 Dec 2009, 10:42 pm »
Really ?  As the battery decays, what makes up for it's impedance change.......?????

Danny Richie

« Reply #93 on: 14 Dec 2009, 04:12 am »
What makes you thing there is any change at all? I can run my amp for about two days or so on my batteries before they drop to below 12 volts. Or I can leave the charger on and it will charge while playing and ads no noise to the signal at all. I can then run it non-stop.

tasar

« Reply #94 on: 14 Dec 2009, 02:59 pm »
how much battery, type and  supply is necessary ie size and number for a 2 day playtime ? given that, any guess as to lifespan and possible sonic aberrations as the battery approaches the time it can no longer hold a charge ?

Danny Richie

« Reply #95 on: 14 Dec 2009, 04:12 pm »
At the RMAF we ran the amp and the buffer off of a single 100 amp hour AGM battery. And we played the system hard all day long every day.

The only time I noticed a difference was on the last day of the show and just after hours. We had been playing it hard since early in the morning and at the end of the day we cranked up some AC/DC and got a little crazy and we noticed the battery had dropped just enough to make a difference. It might have dropped to around 11 volts.

I use two of these batteries:

At normal listening levels I can play for about two days without a charge before it drops below 12 volts. So two days time to get the batteries down less than 10%.

If I just play for 4 or 5 hours at a time the batteries never even drop more than 1% or 2%. With the charger on them constantly topping them off they never measure below 12.75 volts any time I measure them.

The two batteries and the charger cost less than the power cables on my mono-block amps. So the cost of the whole battery system is what I consider, pretty cheap. And the way that I use them, they should last 5 or 6 years at least.

tasar

« Reply #96 on: 14 Dec 2009, 08:57 pm »
Well, going with a DC source saves the huge expense of an Autoformer. What's going on special between the battery and the amp ? Any isolation ? Also Dan, are you using anything special as a power supply to the MacMini ,as in noise reduction ? I've not used a computer or drive source yet, but they do have that switching power input that I'm told is the largest source of noise. Anyway, I've auditioned and have the dBAudio USB Tranquility Dac and it is special, very special. The guys can argue points all day long, for ripped source music, it is in a class of it's own. I couldn't believe it !!

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #97 on: 14 Dec 2009, 09:07 pm »
Anyway, I've auditioned and have the dBAudio USB Tranquility Dac and it is special, very special. The guys can argue points all day long, for ripped source music, it is in a class of it's own. I couldn't believe it !!

This is great news.  I have one on the way. Anxious to see what it can do. Is this brand new, or was this already broken in when you say this?

I think the batteries eliminate some problems and can generally improve things, if used in the right application.  Danny probably has one of those magic buss devices on the computer to filter it.

-Tony

Danny Richie

« Reply #98 on: 14 Dec 2009, 09:12 pm »
What's going on special between the battery and the amp ? Any isolation ?

You'll have to ask Gary Dodd about the special stuff going on with the amp and buffer.

Also Dan, are you using anything special as a power supply to the MacMini ,as in noise reduction ? I've not used a computer or drive source yet, but they do have that switching power input that I'm told is the largest source of noise.

They say that the computer itself is a big contributor to noise back into the system.

Right now I have the Mini plugged into an Uber Buss.

The only thing in my system right now that it can effect (that is not on batteries) is the Tranquility DAC. And yes that thing is REALLY special!!! I have my tranquility DAC plugged into a Dodd Audio balanced power supply (it has filtering also) that is also plugged into the Uber Buss.

So far so good. The whole system is dead quiet. The Super-V's have 97db sensitivity and with the system all on and music paused, it is dead quiet. And that is rare for any system on speakers with sensitivity that high.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #99 on: 14 Dec 2009, 09:20 pm »
What about noise from fans or anything from the mac mini itself?

I am going to use this on my setup, and that is my concern. (The hvac kicking on even annoys me )