New Super-V model (that is going to the show) with pics!

dgshtav

Re: New Super-V model (that is going to the show) with pics!
« Reply #60 on: 3 Nov 2009, 04:53 pm »
Have the FR and Impedence graphs for the Super-V been posted somewhere?

tasar

« Reply #61 on: 4 Nov 2009, 01:37 am »
Danny....you threw out 2495 for super v......what's included ? sub amps, anything else, and how soon are they available ? Where might one have a listen about the states ? and when ?

Danny Richie

« Reply #62 on: 4 Nov 2009, 03:42 pm »
Super V on axis response:

I have tweaked the top end a little since this one. The crossover point is right at 1kHz.

Here is the impedance:

Super V kits will be $2,495. I have actually shipped a good handful already. The kit includes everything but the cabinets.

I moved so many of these and the standard V-1 in such a short time that I sold out of SW-12-16FR subs. I ordered more several weeks ago and hope to see them arriving by mid Dec.

Strangely most of these have been shipped to other countries. Four pairs to the UK, then Vietnam, Australia, New Zealand, Canada....

If you are in the Maryland area then you can hear the pair that went to the RMAF.

tasar

« Reply #63 on: 4 Nov 2009, 04:01 pm »
Dan......by cabinets you mean all the woodwork including baffle boards ? If so, do you have a handle on costs for the wood kit ?

face

« Reply #64 on: 4 Nov 2009, 05:18 pm »
Can you post your updated response, with off axis too?

Christof

« Reply #65 on: 4 Nov 2009, 06:58 pm »
Dan......by cabinets you mean all the woodwork including baffle boards ? If so, do you have a handle on costs for the wood kit ?

I am planning to build myself a pair of these this fall/winter and I will entertain the idea of building a 2nd custom pair.

« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2009, 01:30 am by Christof »

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #66 on: 5 Nov 2009, 03:46 am »
Can you post your updated response, with off axis too?
Hey, Mike.  How are you doing?

I'll be getting a pair soon and will be able to tell you just about anything you will want to know about them.  All I can say is that they knocked me out at RMAF with the lack of coloration in the mids that I've come to expect from compression drivers.  They did remind me of Tannoys to an extent, but struck me as considerably more open due to the dipole operation across the entire bandwidth. I like 'em!

Dave, aka dBe

face

« Reply #67 on: 5 Nov 2009, 04:56 am »
I'm doing well, thanks...how about yourself?

I'll be looking forward to your feedback.

ebag4

« Reply #68 on: 5 Nov 2009, 07:21 pm »
Danny,
From the pics on the first page of this thread it appears that you did not use No-Rez on the back of the compression driver as you did when you initially announce the latest design.  Is the No-Rez not needed with the tweaked x-over?  Is this true for the V-1 as well as the Super-V?

Also, if you get a chance could you post the FR graph for the V-1 as well?

Thanks,
Ed

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #69 on: 5 Nov 2009, 08:40 pm »
Oops, wrong thread! :oops:

Danny Richie

« Reply #70 on: 5 Nov 2009, 09:16 pm »
From the pics on the first page of this thread it appears that you did not use No-Rez on the back of the compression driver as you did when you initially announce the latest design.  Is the No-Rez not needed with the tweaked x-over?

I little No Rez was used on the back cup of the V-1. It does not appear to be needed on the back of the Super V driver. It can really be debatable as to whether the V-1 needs it either but I wanted the rear wave output to be as smooth as possible too. The room effects will have a lot to do with what is really heard though.

See original thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61023.0

ebag4

« Reply #71 on: 5 Nov 2009, 09:25 pm »

See original thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61023.0
The graphs on the referenced thread are from the original setup with the rear firing tweeter, correct?  I was looking for the FR response of he V-1 with the revised x-over, no rear firing tweeter other than the opened back compression driver.

Thanks,
Ed

Bear

« Reply #72 on: 28 Nov 2009, 11:26 pm »
ok, so i dont know jack about speaker design and the technical stuff...how is it that the super v can accurately play to 20khz(virtually flat no less) and lack a tweeter.  I am clearly missing something.  also I did not see any info available on the gr-research site.  I would like some info as I have also been researching linkwitz's orion.  :stupid:

i looked for an emoticon with a jack*ss and did not find one for myself.

thanks

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #73 on: 28 Nov 2009, 11:42 pm »
The top driver is a coaxial, there is a tweeter in the center of it :)

The dust cap of the top driver is acoustically transparent, and the tweeter plays through it. You can see the tweeter diaphragm here (Danny removes the rear housing of it, so it's no longer a compression driver tweeter, but open baffle instead).

Bear

« Reply #74 on: 30 Nov 2009, 04:22 am »
yeah, i knew that.  hahaha :lol:  thanks for clearing that up for me.  I have been doing some trekking through the speaker boards...so far i have read good things about salk sound, the linkwitz orions looked interesting witch has led me to the super v's.   I like the science of the orion's(amplification and spl's seem to be issues), the simplicity of salk, super v's look interesting(lack of high end detail?)

Danny Richie

« Reply #75 on: 30 Nov 2009, 04:33 am »
You'll find no lack of high end detail or resolution with the Super-V's. Quite the opposite.

lowtech

« Reply #76 on: 30 Nov 2009, 06:26 am »
You'll find no lack of high end detail... Quite the opposite.

I'm sure it's all there... and more... based on your published FR curve (shown above).   :smoke:

Danny Richie

« Reply #77 on: 30 Nov 2009, 01:32 pm »
Hey Lowtech,

You never told us about your current system.

sl_1800

« Reply #78 on: 30 Nov 2009, 02:16 pm »
Bear,

You need to hear the Super V before deciding on a speaker or hear all of them before deciding.  The Super V is amazing with the best Highs I have ever heard.

Bear

« Reply #79 on: 30 Nov 2009, 09:39 pm »
anyone have a parts list for the super v kit(if there is one posted already I apologize, I looked and did not find one)...a pic of the components?

I have a sony strda 5300es av receiver(  120w x 7.1) will this be acceptaple/sufficient for the time being?  Has anyone tried the super v with home theatre?

thanks
shane