Quicksilver Silver Monos--now open to shipping

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Re: Quicksilver Silver Monos FS in NE Ohio
« Reply #20 on: 1 Oct 2009, 03:10 am »
Doug
I added to my earlier post you quoted to more accurately clarify my feelings on the matter.  You will almost certainly find it more agreeable; apology for my hastiness.   

I love the 3.6 & find all or most other Thiels I've heard good to great.  Admittedly, part of my current infatuation w/ standmount monitors is because I owned a few dozen much larger than average floorstanders for several decades & no reference caliber standmounts till a couple years ago. 

Beyond that, smaller speakers have shorter internal dimensions that resonate at higher frequencies.  Internal damping materials (foam, cork, poly fill, fiberglass) are reasonably efficient at damping higher frequencies while conversely, no material I am aware of can damp low bass frequencies (hence the endless disagreements what to do about this problem vis a vis room modes).  This is probably the most significant physical advantage a smaller speaker has over larger architecture.  Shorter panels are also easier to control panel vibration.   

In addition of course is the disappearing feature you mentioned, though I certainly agree Jim seemed to have this down about as good or better than anyone else.

Finally, there's the simple preference of cosmetics & physical effect in the room, though again, as far as midsize floorstanders go Jim had that feature pretty well figured out. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #21 on: 13 Oct 2009, 02:53 pm »
Will these also accept 6550's?

Jonathan

« Reply #22 on: 13 Oct 2009, 03:30 pm »
Will these also accept 6550's?

Not a tube guru, but I believe the 6550 is an equivalent of the KT-88, which is what these amps use. So, I suppose 6550s should work. I'd suggest dropping Mike Sanders at Quicksilver an email to confirm. Thanks again,

Jon

Jonathan

« Reply #23 on: 16 Oct 2009, 10:42 pm »
Weekend bump. Will entertain offers and shipping now. Email with questions and thanks for looking.

Jonathan

Re: Quicksilver Silver Monos--now open to shipping
« Reply #24 on: 18 Oct 2009, 05:14 pm »
Moved to Audiogon last night. Will offer nice discount for a local transaction. Thanks again for looking.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&1260996717&item

dangerbird

« Reply #25 on: 18 Oct 2009, 06:14 pm »
FWIW  I have a pair of the M-80 mono's in the nickel finish-fine amps,, ptp,,solid and very dependable--good luck with the sale.

Jonathan

« Reply #26 on: 25 Oct 2009, 01:45 pm »
Weekend bump. Will pair very nicely with the full function preamp just posted.  aa

JeffBrown

« Reply #27 on: 13 Nov 2009, 02:38 pm »
I had a pair of these wonderful amps for years!  They are fantastic, but they will only accept KT88 and KT90 according to Mike Sanders.  His explanation was that an amp using two KT88 running at 50-75 watts could drive a 6550s instead, but at 90 watts no can do!

I had 318 and 319 (serial numbers) and I was quite happy with these for a very long time!  The sound is like a warm glow of a cracking fire, with enough power and dynamics behind it to start a raging forrest fire at flick of the preamp knob.

Jeff Brown