New experience

danman

Re: New experience
« Reply #40 on: 14 Sep 2009, 12:46 pm »
Hi brucek.

The ASIO DOES sound better no doubt to my ears!

Yes I am using the resampler you said and I will put it back to where it was before and see what happens. I thought that maybe the blips were caused by an unsecure load of the FLAC file but when I used the DS Transit mode there were no sounds using the same song so obviously it is something in the ASIO.

My netbook is probably not able to use VISTA since it is an Atom processor and only 1gig Ram. I would like to use it but am not sure if it will work.

I did manage to place the ASIO in my output directory so that is no longer a problem.

I will keep experimenting and thank you once again for your help. I will keep you posted.

brucek

« Reply #41 on: 14 Sep 2009, 05:06 pm »
I had suggested the resampler on the presumption that perhaps your Transit was upsampling to 48K on its own (which adds artifacts) - plus you were using 384K on your DAC and 48K is a direct multiple.

I would assume that your DAC can tell you what rate it's receiving, so if the rate is 44.1K (no foobar resampler and no Transit upsample), then I would choose a multiple of this rate with the DAC (i.e 176.4K).

You could also try out changing the priority manually when foobar is running and see if the 'hitching' clears up. To do this, run foobar and press (Ctrl + ALt) + Del to invoke the Windows task manager. In the processes tab you'll see foobar. Select foobar in the list with the right mouse button and select Set Priority. Then select a higher priority - heck, you can go right up to Real Time..... anyway, something you can try.

brucek

danman

« Reply #42 on: 14 Sep 2009, 05:18 pm »
I had suggested the resampler on the presumption that perhaps your Transit was upsampling to 48K on its own (which adds artifacts) - plus you were using 384K on your DAC and 48K is a direct multiple.

I would assume that your DAC can tell you what rate it's receiving, so if the rate is 44.1K (no foobar resampler and no Transit upsample), then I would choose a multiple of this rate with the DAC (i.e 176.4K).

You could also try out changing the priority manually when foobar is running and see if the 'hitching' clears up. To do this, run foobar and press (Ctrl + ALt) + Del to invoke the Windows task manager. In the processes tab you'll see foobar. Select foobar in the list with the right mouse button and select Set Priority. Then select a higher priority - heck, you can go right up to Real Time..... anyway, something you can try.

brucek

Right now, my DAC is receiving at 20/48k and upsampling 24/384k. So you are saying that I should reduce the upsampling to 176.4? I will give it a shot and the latter one as well.

Thanks again!

brucek

« Reply #43 on: 14 Sep 2009, 05:26 pm »
Right now, my DAC is receiving at 20/48k and upsampling 24/384k. So you are saying that I should reduce the upsampling to 176.4?
I was saying to remove the foobar resampler (to unload your CPU somewhat), and then be sure that the DAC was actually receiving 44.1K. If it's not, then it means the Transit is upsampling from 44.1K to 48K (not something you particularly want, but if that's the case, not much you can do).

But, if the DAC is receiving 44.1K, don't choose an odd DAC sampling rate that isn't a multiple of 44.1K. DAC's have the easiest time when you ask them to simply sample at even multiples. So, if I feed a DAC at 48K, then use 96K or 192K. If you feed it 44.1K, then use 88.2K or 176.4K.......

brucek

danman

« Reply #44 on: 14 Sep 2009, 05:32 pm »
Right now, my DAC is receiving at 20/48k and upsampling 24/384k. So you are saying that I should reduce the upsampling to 176.4?
I was saying to remove the foobar resampler (to unload your CPU somewhat), and then be sure that the DAC was actually receiving 44.1K. If it's not, then it means the Transit is upsampling from 44.1K to 48K (not something you particularly want, but if that's the case, not much you can do).

But, if the DAC is receiving 44.1K, don't choose an odd DAC sampling rate that isn't a multiple of 44.1K. DAC's have the easiest time when you ask them to simply sample at even multiples. So, if I feed a DAC at 48K, then use 96K or 192K. If you feed it 44.1K, then use 88.2K or 176.4K.......

brucek

When I change the resampler, my DAC also changes. what I mean is that when I reduce it back to 44.1 the DAC shows me that. I will do as you say and see if this works.

Thanks

Viajero5000

« Reply #45 on: 14 Sep 2009, 05:35 pm »
whoops, wrong topic...

danman

« Reply #46 on: 16 Sep 2009, 01:26 am »

brucek

PROBLEM SOLVED!

After doing what you said (taking off the resampler), the Transit is sending at 44.1 so that is good. The ASIO is working fine now. The Cambridge DAC is quite impressive afterall I have to say! The only thing I can't seem to do is choose 176.4k! In the instructions it says it cane read it but there is no option to choose it!

Everything sounds really good but I still want to get the Bryston DAC!

danman

« Reply #47 on: 16 Sep 2009, 02:16 am »
I also have the option of sending the signal from the Transit at 96k. Is this a good idea?

brucek

« Reply #48 on: 16 Sep 2009, 12:19 pm »
96k. Is this a good idea?

Yeah, I would use 96K...

Glad it's working now on ASIO. Hopefully, it sounds a bit better.... the signal arriving at that DAC should now be a bit for bit copy of the Flac file (which should be bit for bit copy from the CD) since Windows and the Transit should not be adding anything to the sound now....

brucek

danman

« Reply #49 on: 16 Sep 2009, 05:48 pm »
The M-Audio Transit uses custom drivers which are different than the standard WDM or ASIO drivers. The latest Transit USB driver is Version: 5.10.00.5125v3 with a release date of March 13, 2009 and can be downloaded from the M-Audio site:
http://www.m-audio.com/

The custom drivers enable the Transit to output:
2 in, 2 out, 16-bit, 8000 Hz to 48000 Hz
2 in, 2 out, 24-bit, 8000 Hz to 48000 Hz
2 in, 0 out, 24-bit, 88200 Hz to 96000 Hz
0 in, 2 out, 24-bit, 88200 Hz to 96000 Hz
DD/DTS Pass-Thru (16-bit, 48000 Hz)

I never tried the Transit with WDM or ASIO drivers and seriously doubt it would work, though I have been surprised before.

I have found that Vista using WASAPI does sound better than XP. I would go to the Dell site and see if there is an updated BIOS and drivers for your netbook that will solve your stability problems, your ears will thank you. Windows 7 might even be better choice if your netbook is new enough.

Wayne

WGH (Wayne) pointed this screen out and I have chosen the 0 in, 2 out, 24-bit, 88200 Hz to 96000 Hz option. It works fine and seems to sound better. Thanks for your help guys.

WGH

« Reply #50 on: 19 Sep 2009, 04:32 pm »
Glad it all worked out and you are getting better sound, the price is right too.  :thumb:

I believe Windows 7 would give you another incremental improvement in quality at least equal to the improvement you heard switching to the ASIO driver. I have found the ASIO drivers with XP does not have the clarity of Microsofts later operating systems though I would wait until the final bugs are squashed before getting Windows 7.

The Dell site does not even offer Vista for your laptop, they must have found it buggy too. The website does have the BIOS and driver downloads for Windows 7. The system requirements for Windows 7 state it needs at least 1 GB ram, which your netbook has.

I would look for a trusting friend with a new laptop that has Windows 7 already installed that would let you install the Transit drivers for a test run to see if spending the money for a new OS would really be worth it. With all that said, if it works now I wouldn't change a thing and just plan on getting a new netbook in a year or two and gifting yours to a poor friend.

Enjoy,

Wayne 

danman

« Reply #51 on: 20 Sep 2009, 12:48 am »
Yeah, I have everything pretty well tuned right now and I love how things turned out.

I am waiting for Windows 7 and like you said, once the initial teething problems are worked out, I will change over if my little netbook can!!?

I am thinking seriously about the Bryston DAC but wondering if it will change much since USB connections are not exactly the best. I am not sure that it will be much better than the Cambridge for the particular use I use it for.

Also, even though everything is in lossless FLAC, I believe that 24/96 is not an option with USB................correct me if I am wrong! Therefore paying 2000$ may not be worth it. A Torus or better power supply for my pre may be a better option.
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2009, 02:37 am by danman »

WGH

« Reply #52 on: 20 Sep 2009, 02:23 am »
There are at least a couple of manufacturers that offer 24/96 over USB that I can think of: Wavelength Audio and the Ayre Acoustics QB-9 reviewed in the Oct. 2009 Stereophile. With the rapid development of USB DAC's I would think many manufacturers including Bryston will have hi-rez USB DAC's soon.

There is a lot of great reading in the HiRez Circle
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=150.0

Wayne

danman

« Reply #53 on: 20 Sep 2009, 03:02 am »
Right now, my Transit is sending 20/96 to the Cambridge which is therefore upsampling to 24/384to the Brystons. Sounds just like the CD! Would it make a difference to send it 16/44.1? There are certain things that I still don't really understand yet and have been looking all over the Internet but it's you guys that have helped me most!

Since I only want to FLAC CD's, is it worth investing into a DAC that can do Hi-Rez via USB? I can wait for Bryston to have this option as I am not really interested in buying another brand! Maybe I should be thinking of hi-rez downloads that the future may bring!