Those eyes

mark funk

Those eyes
« on: 5 Sep 2009, 06:32 pm »
I just saw these and those eyes again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350248996989&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270451744630&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

:smoke:

gjs_cds

Re: Those eyes
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2009, 09:33 pm »
My goodness is that Insight DAC a great deal...  Sub-500-bucks for an Insight DAC?  If I didn't already have one, I would jump on it!

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2009, 10:31 pm »
The DAC listed appears to be an Insight DAC.  How it got the wrong ID label I would guess was a screw up by us in the final prep for it.  The original buyer never got back to us about that. Yes it is a good deal if it is  in good working order.  I wonder what the seller found that is better.  From the photos I can't tell if it has the preferred Burr Brown chips or not.

The Super PAS listed is very old, it pre-dates our own circuit boards and power supply board and looks pretty messy.  If in good mechanical and electrical condition it still should be a decent performer at a bargain price.

Frank Van Alstine

gjs_cds

« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2009, 11:03 pm »
How it got the wrong ID label I would guess was a screw up by us in the final prep for it.  The original buyer never got back to us about that.

Sueata1 may know an AVA tech, because I seem to recall that he also sold an early beta of an Ultra-Valve a few weeks ago...  I'd be willing to bet that this upgrade wasn't an official factory unit ?

sueata1

« Reply #4 on: 6 Sep 2009, 12:26 am »
Yes an AVA insight built by Franks Tube prototype tech,,,,I yanked the auction cause I'm gonna keep it :o  For Now....there really isn't any thing better except the Ultra,,,,,I tried em all,,,Still have a U550 @ a special price for you guy's if interested,
happy listening,,,,
Mel

orthobiz

« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2009, 01:32 am »
What eyes? I don't get it???!!!

Paul

sueata1

« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2009, 10:59 am »
Click Mark Funks link and look at that auction,,,ya can't miss the Eyes,,,
I have also relisted the Insight DAC if anybody is looking for a REAL Bargain  :),,,,,,

Mel
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2009, 10:25 am by sueata1 »

mark funk

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2010, 08:49 pm »
There back with this,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350323145963&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

:smoke:

sueata1

« Reply #8 on: 6 Mar 2010, 02:50 am »
Yes Sirs 'The Eyes' are back :o!  If any of you circle guy's would be interested
I can go $550 + $25 ship to lower 48...
This is a real bargain with all the upgrades too,  except the New tube deal where you have to
prop up the cover cause the New tubes are slightly taller...
Ya can email me or give me a quick call @ 501-321-4841...
Thanx a lot and Happy listening,,,
Mel

rcag_ils

« Reply #9 on: 6 Mar 2010, 04:35 am »
I have the Ultra DAC, and I notice on the left of yours, you have two odd looking chips sticking up in the air, can you tell me what they are? Sure looks different from mine.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 6 Mar 2010, 12:17 pm »
I have the Ultra DAC, and I notice on the left of yours, you have two odd looking chips sticking up in the air, can you tell me what they are? Sure looks different from mine.

That is the Opamp upgrade Frank added.  Described in his write-up on eBay.

sueata1

« Reply #11 on: 6 Mar 2010, 03:02 pm »
I hope Big Red's reply  ,,,helped
thanx a lot,
Mel

rcag_ils

« Reply #12 on: 6 Mar 2010, 10:27 pm »
It helps, but are they the same buffers that are used in the Insight series and the 4i mod, I wonder.

sueata1

« Reply #13 on: 7 Mar 2010, 02:04 am »
The mod was done by Van Alstine,  SSSsoooooo,,,I believe everything about it is up to snuff.
I also included the Serial # so you can call Frank and have him verify the history of this
unit...

Happy Listening,,,
Mel

rcag_ils

« Reply #14 on: 7 Mar 2010, 02:31 pm »
By the way, I am asking about the two chips that are vertically in their own IC sockets, they are not the BB OPA627 opamps.