Any plan for a V3 in the forseable future?

twist22

Re: Any plan for a V3 in the forseable future?
« Reply #60 on: 19 Nov 2009, 12:28 am »
I don't have any problems with new products comming out. It even gives you the oppertunity to purchase new products and move up to an even higher level of music reproduction.
In my case I am running a 3 way active system with 6 Ref 9's The pair of amps running the bass drivers could almost be considered sub woofers. In addition these drivers are electronically equalized. Add 6dB of boost to some of the low frequencies and it see what it does to the power demands on an amp So on the bass side additioal power will never go astray.
If the power outputs will end up similar, my preference would be to upgrade the Ref 9's to V3 now and upgrade to the new power supply next year when it becomes available. Of course I don't know how this will compare with changing up to the Ref 18's (wrt power output)
Upgrading the 2 Ref 9's to V3's this month and then trading them in next on Ref 18's next month because I find out the Ref 9's will never have anywhere near the power output of the Ref 18's may not be good option financially.
So as a long time user of nuforce amps you ask nuforce what is the best way to go. Whilst all the details may not have been finalised I am sure they have a much better idea of what is happening than I do. Hence the question. 

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #61 on: 19 Nov 2009, 11:26 am »
It is confusing what the company is doing.  Why didn't they make the best amp they could for V3SE. 
They could have offered a different box if people wanted it.

You heard of Apple making a best computer, BMW making a best car ?  :scratch:
We can make the BEST amp, but would anyone pay the price? Ref 18 is going to list for $8000 per pair, substantially higher than Ref 9V3SE.  A person with a $5000 preamp, $40,000 speaker will go for the Ref 18, but many people will be VERY happy with Ref 9V3SE.

We might be able to offer power supply upgrade to Ref 9V3SE but we haven't looked into it (still working on the SMPS for Ref 18 etc).  Nuforce pricing policy has always been very reasonable, especially after you invested in the initial purchase.  We don't charge you arm and leg for upgrades and trade-in can be offered at reasonable price.  Basically your first purchase helps to finance not just past R&D but future R&D.  I don't know any other high-end company would charge a lowly $400 for a complete replacement of the amp technology. We spent more than a year and many tests on V3 and what we charge just barely pay for the effort.  Most companies will charge you $400 just to do a minor upgrade  :nono:

If you have 3 V2 amps and struggle with what to do, we can offer a small discount on the upgrade and then you can contact us 4 months later to beta test the power supply upgrade for the bass amps.
We have a customer in Virgina with 11 Ref 9V2SE (3 front, 3 on each side, 3 back for a very large home theater)  :thumb:

The Power of Ref 18 is not going to be substantially higher than Ref 9V3SE if we measure the output RMS voltage but we plan to increase the current a lot so that it can drive power hungry (most are current hungry speaker).

For Ref 18, we are doing things that we can't do on Ref 9V3SE, such as
top of the line WBT Speaker terminals
17" wide heavy chassis
splitting the amp board into two boards (preamp and power amp section), upgrade whatever parts at all cost, modify the amp to work for bigger power supply, etc.

If you are a new customer and this is what you want, then go for Ref 18.
For existing customer,
V2 -> V3 -- trade-in to Ref 18 -->
or
V2 -- trade-in to Ref 18 -->
will cost the same.   Going with the V3 upgrade, at least you have a chance to experience V3 before making the big plunge to Ref 18. 

We plan our products and pricing so that customers can take it one step at a time.
We could have charged $500 for V2 to V3 upgrade since many customers are "captive" as long as we keep upgrade pricing reasonable. But trying to milk as much as possible out of customers is plain wrong.
We just stick to a formula and apply a multiple that take into consideration of production cost, R&D cost, and projected size of the market.

If you study the luxury product market, the price/performance is always the best for those mid price products.  Icon HDP would have an off the chart price/performance ratio since we price it at $399. The DAC-9 at $1250 is not going to be 3X better.  I don't even think DAC-9 will be 50% better.  DAC-9 is going to be really good, that's not the problem.  The problem is that Icon HDP is too good :).  But that's the way it is in high performance.  You pay a lot more for the very last bit of performance gain.
Even the soon to be shipping Icon uDAC at $99 sounded better than a very popular $600 DAC that we compared against.

This is one of the moment where I feel like sharing our philosophy. I don't usually talk so much :)

worldcat

« Reply #62 on: 19 Nov 2009, 07:42 pm »
I want the "best amp in the world"  give it to me.   Bring on Ref 18 make sure its good!! :icon_lol:

steve_sf

• My Gear
« Reply #63 on: 19 Nov 2009, 08:32 pm »
Appreciate your honesty (and upgrade model!), Jason.

BTW, what's the current backlog on the Ref9SEv2 -> Ref9SEv3 upgrade?

Stephen

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #64 on: 20 Nov 2009, 01:50 am »
Jason you Casey and the entire Nuforce team have put together a business practice that rivals any in the audio market. Your words above speak volumes for the best in customer care. I for one would like to thank all of you for that. Now that i have V3 which is still burning in you will keep us all tuned in with Ref 18 in the near future. I will also give John Castler a big thank you for leading me to Nuforce back in 05 when it all began. Maybe Ref 18 will be in my future bring it on.
Mike

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #65 on: 20 Nov 2009, 01:31 pm »
Appreciate your honesty (and upgrade model!), Jason.

BTW, what's the current backlog on the Ref9SEv2 -> Ref9SEv3 upgrade?

Stephen

There is no backlog for USA (I think :)). We ran out of face plates at the factory but new batch should arrive by end of the month.  If you have log a help desk ticket and get no response, email salesteam the ticket ID.  We are too busy.

worldcat

« Reply #66 on: 24 Nov 2009, 08:36 pm »
Have the new face plates arrived?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #67 on: 25 Nov 2009, 08:19 am »
We are contacting people through our help desk system. So if you get response on the ticket, post a reply and send in the amps.

worldcat

« Reply #68 on: 10 Dec 2009, 01:42 am »
How much better will REF 18 sound than 9V3SE?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #69 on: 10 Dec 2009, 02:17 am »
No idea, engineering is still working on it.

worldcat

« Reply #70 on: 14 Mar 2010, 05:06 pm »
Any new news on REF 18?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #71 on: 15 Mar 2010, 06:40 pm »
Evaluate the prototype end of March.