A good day to get a new Bryston Amp...

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: A good day to get a new Bryston Amp...
« Reply #20 on: 4 Sep 2009, 09:21 pm »

I've clipped the amp a few times, but this is when the volume control was all the way up.

I think there is more gain going on when the pre is connected to the amp with balanced interconnects. (the pre is putting out twice the voltage swing on the balanced vs the unbalanced outs).

I have kind of an unusual arrangement. I am going from single ended (at the preamp) to bablanced XLR (at the amp end.) This is just the configuration of my interconnects (which were quite expensive) and I do not wish to replace them...also, this arrangement (with the gain set to 29db) works quite well.

werd

« Reply #21 on: 4 Sep 2009, 09:28 pm »
Hello Ian . Appreciate the info about the resistors. With that I ask; has anyone out there  think or perceive any sonic difference between the two? I like both versions cosmetically....... they both are beautiful. Should I purchase both ? ( just kidding) I want to know if any fellow members can enlighten me before I take the plunge... :( I , too, like  Redbook, wish to make the best choice from a hi-fi point of view.  :roll:

Hello rmurray

What your worried about is whether or not the resistors in the pro version will cause noticeable non linearity(distortion). I would  say very minimal and probably none. Nothing to worry about. But i would recommend that unless you know why you would want the pro, it seems you are not sure then just get the non pro version. Its just another adjustment that may ultimately mean nothing to you.

rmurray

« Reply #22 on: 4 Sep 2009, 11:01 pm »
Thanks Werd for the reply...........  rmurray   :thumb:

ian.ameline

« Reply #23 on: 5 Sep 2009, 12:51 am »
Personally I prefer the pro amps. I have listened to both (in the st generation, but the attenuator circuit in the st is identical to the sst), and the pro version sounds identical to the non pro (to my ears in an a/b test).

And the pro gives me a bit more flexibility.

-- Ian.

Viajero5000

« Reply #24 on: 5 Sep 2009, 04:43 pm »
ILast night I attended a concert in the open, in an ancient Roman theater in Plovdiv.Here is the link as it looks like.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/06/RomanTheaterPlovdiv.jpg/800px-RomanTheaterPlovdiv.jpg

That's an impressive venue Daniel. Plovdiv seems to be a beautiful city. I think I need to book a weekend to take a look for myself.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #25 on: 7 Sep 2009, 02:10 am »
I am getting the pro version of  the 4B2. What is the most accurate gain setting? My preamp is the good old BP25. Thanks  to all members for your experience in these matters. :bowdown:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #26 on: 9 Sep 2009, 01:54 am »
I have my gain controls all the way up. And I have my gain setting set to 29db...I am running unbalanced lines so that is the appropriate gain setting per the owner's manual. My preamp is the BP6P.