Horizontal MTM versus tower center channel

dvenardos

Horizontal MTM versus tower center channel
« on: 31 Aug 2009, 06:26 am »
Just curious your guys thoughts on horizontal versus vertical for center channel duty. Specifically am I thinking of the N3. I ordered a N3 tower flat pack a couple weeks ago but I am not sure if I am going to get it so just wondering about everyone thoughts on traditional center channel versus a tower.

Danny Richie

Re: Horizontal MTM versus tower center channel
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2009, 01:25 pm »
If you have the room then a vertical orientation will give you a wider coverage area.

dvenardos

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2009, 04:32 pm »
Great, thanks.
Looks like my flatpack is going to make it after all.  :thumb:

If you have the room then a vertical orientation will give you a wider coverage area.

fcraven

• Don't mess with this baritone
« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2009, 07:27 pm »
Mine is vertical (based on Danny's suggestion) but it's the only one that I've ever seen done that way. I only have the one woofer, so I was able to notch the speaker to fit closer to the screen. It works great, can't compare it to anything else. looks cool too.

dvenardos

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2009, 07:58 pm »
Cool, what speakers are those?

mcallister

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2009, 09:30 pm »
Mine is vertical based as well. I had originally had the third LS9 lying on it's side before installing the AT Screen. This system with this configuration is the sound I've been looking for for basically my entire life. Amazing detail and dynamics. Multichannel DVD-A and SACD is phenomenol as well as two channel and HT.

fcraven

• Don't mess with this baritone
« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2009, 09:50 pm »
Cool, what speakers are those?

The center is a sealed NEO-2X and the left and right are Ported min-tower NEO-2X.
I recorded the construction project here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58202.0

And now I can say that I have seen two systems with a vertical center channel and that mine is the only one I have seen that's not placed behind an acoustically transparent screen.

persisting1

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2009, 11:28 pm »
fcraven,

I never saw your speakers completed.  Those look great.  Especially the vertical center :drool:

tmoney1876

« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2009, 04:27 am »
How far off axis would the tweeter have to be to counteract the destructive interference?