Speaker refoaming?

Wind Chaser

Speaker refoaming?
« on: 31 Aug 2009, 01:19 am »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I bought some vintage speakers that I really like; however, the foam is noticably starting to erode.  Does anyone have some experience and tips on doing the corrective procedure?

JoshK

Re: Speaker refoaming?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2009, 01:28 am »
Looks like the right place to me.  I've never done it, so I can't offer much help.  It doesn't seem like it'd be too hard, but then I've never done it. 

mjosef

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2009, 01:32 am »
Its relatively easy to do. The refoaming kit comes with all the parts, new surrounds, dust caps,  glue and spacers to keep the coil centered, and of course easy to follow directions
I bought a couple of the kits from PartsExpress, 12" and 15".
CHeck this link, they have the complete procedure laid out with pictures.
http://www.speakerex.com/refoaming.html

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2009, 01:44 am »
Thanks for the quick replies.

Yes, it looks easy enough... except for the part about the putting the dust cap back on.  I suspect that will be a bit challenging even if great care is taken in the removal.  I guess one could always drop a phase plug into the void but that most likely will alter the sound and perhaps not for the better.  I believe the crossover point on the speakers in question is around 3k at a 12 db slope.

mjosef

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2009, 01:52 am »
I think the hardest part was making sure the cone stays centered while re-gluing the new surround onto the frame. I suggest letting gravity do the resting, then gently touch around the ends...the foam sticks pretty readily...I double checked that the cone/voice coil was indeed centered by removing the spacers (I know, not in the directions), and gently check that movement is smooth, then I stuck the spacers back in and applied heavy pressure on the surround edges to permanently set the foam.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2009, 03:00 am »
Thanks.  I suppose it's possible to bond everything together only to find out the alignment has shifted when removing the spacers.  That would suck and call for a second attempt.

What about the dust caps?  Were yours reusable?  The drivers I'm doing are about 4" diameter. 

mjosef

« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2009, 04:46 am »
What about the dust caps?  Were yours reusable?

Nope, after I had done with cutting them out, they were trashed. I was very leery of cutting into the cone, so I cut more into the cap than closer to the cone. Besides new dust caps were included in the kit... :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2009, 05:47 am »
...new dust caps were included in the kit... :thumb:

Excellent.  For now that concludes all my concerns.  To be on the safe side, I acquired a second pair of the same vintage speakers, only instead of foam, they have rubber surrounds.

Ferdi

« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2009, 07:50 pm »
Hi, I refoamed a pair of Pioneer HPM-900 a few years ago. Used both parts and instructions from simply speakers (google them, they came up first for me). I did not have to remove the dustcaps so that wasn't a problem.
I found that centering the cone wasn't too big a problem. by gently pushing the cone in an letting it flex back, you can easily find the position with no friction. What might trip you up is that when you set the speaker "on its feet", gravity will drag down the cone vertically. If you didn't get it exactly right, this might be what causes a rasping, dragging sound.

This is just what might happen, I had no problems. My HPM even look almost new.

Oh yes, try and get specific instructions somewhere (audiokarma?) as there might be specifics for your speaker.

Good luck and post back with the results.

There! Finally had something of a halfway technical nature to contribute.  :roll: