Anyone else floored by the Musical Fidelity A1

schw06

Anyone else floored by the Musical Fidelity A1
« on: 1 Sep 2009, 08:52 pm »
I bought this ugly integrated because I vaguely remember how great the original A1 was and I am picking my jaw up off the floor. I have it running on Zu Definition II's and a Modwright Transporter and it was going to be used as a back up or in a second system because it has a USB input and phono card. I've had tubes, SS, and battery powered amps and I keep laughing because I am getting so much enjoyment out of this amp. Anyone else using one??

Russell Dawkins

Re: Anyone else floored by the Musical Fidelity A1
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2009, 10:40 pm »
Funny you should say this. I heard one 15 years ago and it sounded so much better on massed violins than I remember ever having heard before I doubted what I was hearing - but never had the opportunity or time to get to the bottom it.
The experience stayed with me, though.
One other time this happened was the first time I heard Quad II amplifiers after a steady diet of low grade transistor amps.

rcspkramp

« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2009, 10:35 pm »
I've heard it a number of times and have been very impressed. Unfortunately, I head that it's been discontinued.

+++++++++++++++++

schw06

« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2009, 02:26 am »
I'm actually referring to the new remake of the classic...not the original.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #4 on: 6 Sep 2009, 03:11 am »
I figured you were after visiting the MF site and seeing it was back in production. I also thought that rcspkramp was referring to the new model, too.

I have a lot of respect for Anthony Michaelson and his forthrightness in talking about actual vs. assumed power requirements on the MF site.

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/news/letter.html

rcspkramp

« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2009, 10:30 pm »
I was referring to the new remake. Unfortunately, it's already out of production. Still on the MF website though. You can get a good deal on one from Underwood right now.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Doublej

« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2009, 01:16 am »
Great deal on it at Audio Advisor too!

I wonder why it's already being discontinued.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2009, 01:22 am »
probably didn't sell because of the widespread reliance by the consumer on performance numbers they don't understand - i.e., it didn't look good on paper.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2009, 04:10 am »
And it didn't help being one of the more visually unflattering designs Musical Fidelity has produced.

Steve

cityjim

« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2011, 09:07 pm »
 I heard one, sounded sterile. Very flat sounding with no life to the music. Same as the rest of the MF gear.

cityjim

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #10 on: 14 Aug 2011, 10:03 pm »
I heard one, sounded sterile. Very flat sounding with no life to the music. Same as the rest of the MF gear.
I had the polar opposite impression. What speakers did you hear the A1 through?

OzarkTom

« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2011, 06:19 pm »
25 years ago it was called the British Fidelity A1. It sold for $375 retail and I sold a ton of them. I loved to play, for my customers, a set-up I had with a pair of old 57 Quads and an AR turn-table with a $15 Grado cartridge.

Everybody that listened was stunned. It was one of the most musical, magical sounding systems of all time, even compared to many of the systems of today.

Zero

« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2011, 06:28 pm »
I once owned an A1.  Loved it while I had it.  I may step into the 'new' A1 soon.. as it should make for one sa-weet (and hot ) desktop amp!

slippers-on

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2012, 03:00 pm »

cityjim

I have a Musical Fidelity CDP....the thing is just awesome....never sounded sterile, but very romantic.