Get a projector!

chino

Get a projector!
« Reply #20 on: 4 Jan 2004, 08:15 am »
Thanks for the info  mike :)  I think I better skip DIY screen then  :? I suck at painting! :nono:  Guess I might as well spend a little bit more and order a manufactured one. Carada is on top of my list right now good reviews. Im still undecided which one to get either the 1.78:1 or 2.35:1.

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
Get a projector!
« Reply #21 on: 4 Jan 2004, 03:27 pm »
Chino:

I highly recommend Carada. I went with a 102" 1:78:1 and I love it. Carada is a company that knows how to take care of it's customers. They're responsive, and they deliver when they say they will. And the product is great!
Even though HDTV isn't yet available locally, I know it will be fairly soon.  We've watched a bunch o DVDs and I don't really mind the bars at top and bottom. IF I have time to burn sometime I might make up some black velvet masks that could just attach to the screen with a clip or something. Not a big priority.

chino

Get a projector!
« Reply #22 on: 5 Jan 2004, 01:48 am »
Yep I decided to go with the 1.78:1. According to the manual the pj doesn't have enough zoom range to go from 2.35:1 all the way down to 1.78:1 at the same vertical height. Ive emailed dave (I think) @ carada and he suggest the 1.78:1 with the high contrast grey surface. Now I need a very long component cable cuz I think Id put my a/v rack at the front which is the most feasible place for my room :scratch: not sure what length not till I get the pj and confirm the suitable throw dist. Any suggestions for decent cables? Monster is just too much.

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
Get a projector!
« Reply #23 on: 5 Jan 2004, 12:37 pm »
Quote from: chino
Yep I decided to go with the 1.78:1. According to the manual the pj doesn't have enough zoom range to go from 2.35:1 all the way down to 1.78:1 at the same vertical height. Ive emailed dave (I think) @ carada and he suggest the 1.78:1 with the high contrast grey surface. Now I need a very long component cable cuz I think Id put my a/v rack at the front which is the most feasible place for my room :scratch: not sure what length not till I get the pj and confirm the suitable throw dist. Any suggestions for decent cables? Monster is just too much.

Congratulations, you're going to love the screen! I'm wiring my HT with all DH Labs cables, very good, but not inexpensive. I'd suggest checking out bluejeanscable. I've heard they make excellent cables using Beldon and Canara for very reasonable prices.

chino

Get a projector!
« Reply #24 on: 7 Jan 2004, 01:11 am »
Tell me something Im curious how did you all set-up your pj so that you get to use shorter cable runs to your source. In other words like placing your a/v racks. Behind listening area? On the side? PJ ceiling mount? In front? My HT room size is 16X12X9 ft. Any ideas? pls help master  :)

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
Get a projector!
« Reply #25 on: 7 Jan 2004, 01:49 am »
Tell me something Im curious how did you all set-up your pj so that you get to use shorter cable runs to your source. In other words like placing your a/v racks. Behind listening area? On the side? PJ ceiling mount? In front? My HT room size is 16X12X9 ft. Any ideas? pls help master  :)

Chino:

My room is pretty large. I have the PJ ceiling mounted about 10' from the screen. The seating area is in that area and behind it. I'm running 30' component cables to the rack that is up front near the corner. Built a custom wood channel to hide all the cables coming down the pillar that is in the middle of the room near the PJ.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
Get a projector!
« Reply #26 on: 7 Jan 2004, 03:37 am »
Hi,

My room is 21x15x9 and the rack is on the side but beside the third row. This is directly by the side of the pj. Short run.

This was a Dennis Erksine design.

Larry

chino

Get a projector!
« Reply #27 on: 8 Jan 2004, 11:28 am »
Thanks for the input! This topic sure comes in handy just the rite time. I think I know hows it going to be but just to make sure I'll wait till I get the pj tomorrow so I know the exact throw thus the length of the cable needed. I forgot all about the ceiling mount  :banghead: Ive browse around and found one Chief RPA-225 for $168.80 anybody knows where else I can get a decent one for much less?  :shake: I still dont have comp cables yet. BTW my pj is the panny L300U.

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
Get a projector!
« Reply #28 on: 8 Jan 2004, 12:26 pm »
Thanks for the input! This topic sure comes in handy just the rite time. I think I know hows it going to be but just to make sure I'll wait till I get the pj tomorrow so I know the exact throw thus the length of the cable needed. I forgot all about the ceiling mount  :banghead: Ive browse around and found one Chief RPA-225 for $168.80 anybody knows where else I can get a decent one for much less?  :shake: I still dont have comp cables yet. BTW my pj is the panny L300U.

If you're handy you can make one for around $20 parts. Instructions can be found on the screen forum at AVS. I bought  a perfectmount but wasnt' thrilled with quality or delivery time.

lkosova

Get a projector!
« Reply #29 on: 9 Jan 2004, 06:29 am »
Chino,

Chief makes very good mounts....you don't want the thing to fall on your head now???  Do you!!

Larry

chino

Get a projector!
« Reply #30 on: 11 Jan 2004, 12:44 am »
Mike, thanks for the info on DIY mounts. Been to the forum and did a search on my pj mount and viola! complete with parts description etc available at home depot. Ikosova, they looked pretty sturdy to me. My pj weigh at 6lbs so it should be ok   :) :nono: I hope that wont happen. I think I wont mind the lump on my head as long as the pj is ok  8) . I think I'll go the diy route. Heck for $168+ for the chiefs I could get a decent comp video cable + dvds  :mrgreen:  Im going with the Belden 1694A by Bluejeans. Only $60+ for a 25'  :D oh Im sure the chief is good but no moolaa after getting the Carada  :wink:

thayerg

Get a projector!
« Reply #31 on: 13 Jan 2004, 12:46 am »
For a low level light, there is a nifty little night light at home despot which plugs into an outlet and has louvers over the bulb to direct the light to the floor. Something like 6 bucks for a pair.

I'm just about to go with a z1 too. I've got a stack of dvds i which are waiting for the happy day it arrives...

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
Get a projector!
« Reply #32 on: 13 Jan 2004, 01:35 am »
Quote from: thayerg
For a low level light, there is a nifty little night light at home despot which plugs into an outlet and has louvers over the bulb to direct the light to the floor. Something like 6 bucks for a pair.

I'm just about to go with a z1 too. I've got a stack of dvds i which are waiting for the happy day it arrives...

I think you'll be happy with that Z1, I'm pretty amazed at how good it is .. .

thayerg

Get a projector!
« Reply #33 on: 13 Jan 2004, 02:57 am »
Mike--

did you spend as much time as I did on the 'under $3500 projector' thread at avsforum?  :D

lkosova

Get a projector!
« Reply #34 on: 13 Jan 2004, 03:31 am »
I had the opportunity to see the Dwin,Seleco and Infocus 3 chip pj at CES. The last one I signed a aggrement to shut up but I can't stand watching anything else right now. I was amazed how well these pj's looked. I have a 7200 Infocus and I thought that was good.

Enjoy what you have but in two years when these come down from the $20,000-30,000 price....I will be in line to get one.

Larry

Sa-dono

Get a projector!
« Reply #35 on: 13 Jan 2004, 04:21 am »
Quote from: lkosova
I had the opportunity to see the Dwin,Seleco and Infocus 3 chip pj at CES. The last one I signed a aggrement to shut up but I can't stand watching anything else right now. I was amazed how well these pj's looked. I have a 7200 Infocus and I thought that was good.

Enjoy what you have but in two years when these come down from the $20,000-30,000 price....I will be in line to get one.

Larry

Did you see the Marantz? A lot of people felt that was the best of show, as far as all of the projectors.

Mathew_M

Get a projector!
« Reply #36 on: 13 Jan 2004, 04:24 am »
Are you guys talking about the 3 wheel dlp projectors?  I'm guessing that nobody suffers from the rainbow effect with those.  Oddly even I don't see rainbows with dlp I do find that I get more fatigued watching them.   Anyone else?  Otherwise they look great better than lcd.

What's the cheapest 3 wheel dlp projector out now?

lkosova

Get a projector!
« Reply #37 on: 13 Jan 2004, 04:34 am »
Keeping the price in mind I liked the Seleco($30,000). But the Dwin was the real bargin..if you can call it that at $23,000.  But around spring you will see some for less.

I think that in a year or so the price will drop to a point that I will get one. I will either keep my 7200( still in the box) or get a 7205. I got mine at dealer demo cost so upgrading should not be a problem.

Larry

lkosova

Get a projector!
« Reply #38 on: 13 Jan 2004, 04:49 am »
Are you guys talking about the 3 wheel dlp projectors?

3 chip no wheels. They are quite and no rainbows.

Seleco-$30,000 plus lens after next week. Comes out in Feburay

Dwin-$23,500 plus $3,000 lens. Comes out in two weeks(right that 's what they always say).

Marantz-$33,000 I think

Infocus- I signed an aggrement not to say anything. DAMN!!!

All use the hd 2 chip not hd2+. They do not need the extra contrast according to the designers I spoke with.

Dwin takes the lead do to the price. I can't watch my tv anymore!!!! They were that good.

Larry

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
Get a projector!
« Reply #39 on: 13 Jan 2004, 12:17 pm »
Quote from: thayerg
Mike--

did you spend as much time as I did on the 'under $3500 projector' thread at avsforum?  :D

I sure did. I went back and read just about every thread going back about 6 months .  .