Choice of Amp for new SongTowers

Zero

Re: Choice of Amp for new SongTowers
« Reply #20 on: 20 Aug 2009, 02:31 am »
During my 3 month stint with the SongTower's, I found that they sound best with warm sounding components...   particularly tubes.

My favorite dollar for dollar match with the Song Tower was the Vista Audio i34 ($980) integrated amp. That proved to be a GREAT sounding system for not much money. 

Alexdad54

« Reply #21 on: 25 Aug 2009, 03:41 pm »
Well,
The ST's arrived a few days ago and I've finally unpacked them but until the amp gets here I can only gaze at their beauty ..... :lol:
(pics to come).
For now I've gone with an interim solution for the amp. I found a used B&K EX4420 amp (used by RSwerdlow I believe and reputedly with a "tubey" sound) and have bought two sets of SC's; a regular BJC set and a set of Analysis Plus Oval 9's  for comparison. I will be running the ST's through an Audio Alchemy DLC and VITB combo using Grover Huffman IC's (the latest) using a older Rotel RCD-971 and an Oppo DH983 as players. I also have a Nakamichi cassette deck and a Dual 1218 TT. 
Once I get the system up and running, I hope to start playing with different options such as either swapping the cd player for a Njoe Tjoeb, an external DAC, getting a tube pre and/or a tube amp, maybe getting a Song Sub,etc. etc......

I also want to thank everyone for their input, all the suggestions have gone on a list for the fun to come...... :thumb:

Nuance

« Reply #22 on: 25 Aug 2009, 04:44 pm »
^ Sweet!  I look forward to your impressions.

K Shep

« Reply #23 on: 25 Aug 2009, 04:48 pm »
Alexdad (Dave),

That's great news!  Keep us posted.

Kirk

vintagebob

« Reply #24 on: 25 Aug 2009, 05:42 pm »
Well,
The ST's arrived a few days ago and I've finally unpacked them but until the amp gets here I can only gaze at their beauty ..... :lol:
(pics to come).
For now I've gone with an interim solution for the amp. I found a used B&K EX4420 amp (used by RSwerdlow I believe and reputedly with a "tubey" sound) and have bought two sets of SC's; a regular BJC set and a set of Analysis Plus Oval 9's  for comparison. I will be running the ST's through an Audio Alchemy DLC and VITB combo using Grover Huffman IC's (the latest) using a older Rotel RCD-971 and an Oppo DH983 as players. I also have a Nakamichi cassette deck and a Dual 1218 TT. 
Once I get the system up and running, I hope to start playing with different options such as either swapping the cd player for a Njoe Tjoeb, an external DAC, getting a tube pre and/or a tube amp, maybe getting a Song Sub,etc. etc......

I also want to thank everyone for their input, all the suggestions have gone on a list for the fun to come...... :thumb:

Alright Alexdad54.  It looks like you're in for some fun days ahead.

Alexdad54

« Reply #25 on: 4 Sep 2009, 01:28 pm »
Well, status report...still early days, I've got the ST's hooked up with some rather mundane IC's (Cables2Go) until my Grover IC's arrive and the Blue Jean cables (still very new). I have a pair of Analysis Plus Oval 9 SC's waiting for an audition and am thinking of getting Clear Day's to try as well. Still playing with positioning according to various methods (Cardas, Audio Physics, etc.).
The sound is gorgeous even with the problem described below. I can hear its potential, lots of bass and beautiful mids.

Right now my more pressing problem is the AA DLC. Took me a while to figure it out even with the manual (must be advancing age....) but now I'm getting sound out. It's not the most user-friendly pre and I find the sound is still rather bright. I realize that that could be due to several factors but I am thinking that perhaps I should try a tube preamp to match with the B&K.
All advice appreciated.
My budget is limited so I've narrowed it down (with help from AC members) to the following:

EE Minimax (used)
MAD Ultra 4 SE (used, if it's still available on AA)
Nightshade custom single tube preamp
AE-3 DJH Signature (if I can find one at a reasonable price)
Various CJ pre's ranging from the PV-5 and -8 to the Premier 3 (all used).

If anyone is in the Philly area I'd love to hear from you !
cheers,
Dave

Nels Ferre

« Reply #26 on: 4 Sep 2009, 02:23 pm »
Add the Juicy Music Peach to the list. Highly recommended.  :thumb:

Alexdad54

« Reply #27 on: 4 Sep 2009, 04:16 pm »
Add the Juicy Music Peach to the list. Highly recommended.  :thumb:
Judging by all the comments/reviews I would add either the Peach or the Blueberry except they're way over budget for me unless I can find one at a good used price....

mike1964

« Reply #28 on: 4 Sep 2009, 06:08 pm »
For linestage add Mapletree Line 2A SE line preamp.  I've read great things, and it is line-only, less than $800.  If you need phono, too, all in one box, then you have the 4A listed already.

Alexdad54

« Reply #29 on: 4 Sep 2009, 06:26 pm »
For linestage add Mapletree Line 2A SE line preamp.  I've read great things, and it is line-only, less than $800.  If you need phono, too, all in one box, then you have the 4A listed already.
Thanks Mike, I've read great things too, just haven't been able to get input from an actual owner directly yet, especially as to how it mates with the ST's.
Dave

evan1

« Reply #30 on: 4 Sep 2009, 08:19 pm »
PM Topround, He had the 2se and loved it. Not an ST owner but he had great things to say about the unit. There is also a 4Se in the classified on Audio Asylum

Alexdad54

« Reply #31 on: 4 Sep 2009, 08:56 pm »
PM Topround, He had the 2se and loved it. Not an ST owner but he had great things to say about the unit. There is also a 4Se in the classified on Audio Asylum
Thanks, I saw the 4SE on AA and it's high on the list. I'm actually awaiting a reply from Topround on another pre but when I have the chance I'll ask about the MAD as well.

clipped

« Reply #32 on: 5 Sep 2009, 12:00 pm »
Consider AVA's insight integrated.
I am very happy with the sound of my ST's and this amp together.
:)

Alexdad54

« Reply #33 on: 5 Sep 2009, 01:35 pm »
Consider AVA's insight integrated.
I am very happy with the sound of my ST's and this amp together.
:)
I'm looking just for a preamp right now as I'm pretty happy (so far) with my B&K EX4420 amp.
thanks,
D

mike1964

« Reply #34 on: 5 Sep 2009, 03:11 pm »
Thanks Mike, I've read great things too, just haven't been able to get input from an actual owner directly yet, especially as to how it mates with the ST's.
Dave
From reading reviews, I'm pretty confident that this type of tube preamp will work well with the SongTowers.  I think the real question is how well will it mate with the B&K. 

clipped

« Reply #35 on: 6 Sep 2009, 06:46 pm »
This may be a long shot, but, AVA was considering a "RB" pre. This was in production many years ago and I owned one for years until moving up. Very very good sound for very very little money. Perhaps call Frank and see if he is producing these. I recall it had very few functions, no tone control no balance. On/off, volume and 2 or 3 inputs???? I don't want to sound like an AVA junkie, well... maybe a little :wink:
Best of luck in your search.

Alexdad54

« Reply #36 on: 8 Sep 2009, 01:10 pm »
I checked the AVA site and I believe the "RB" option is not available anymore. He does have an Omega III EC (used) but I can't find any detailed reviews re its sound, etc. There's also an AVA Super PAS3 on ebay right now that I'm watching, could get it upgraded by Frank.....

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #37 on: 8 Sep 2009, 06:16 pm »
the plinus 9200 is a nice integrated and within your price range used or a slight stretch new

my friends sounds great (on Von Schwiekerts) and would work nicely with song towers

oops you already settled on an amp
if you have an integrated audio / video setup try an oppo blu ray player
the 24/192 blu ray concerts are fabulous

Tom

Alexdad54

« Reply #38 on: 8 Sep 2009, 09:03 pm »
the plinus 9200 is a nice integrated and within your price range used or a slight stretch new

my friends sounds great (on Von Schwiekerts) and would work nicely with song towers

oops you already settled on an amp
if you have an integrated audio / video setup try an oppo blu ray player
the 24/192 blu ray concerts are fabulous

Tom
Hi Tom,
I'd go with the Oppo BD-83 but I already have the Oppo DV-983H player as I only have DVD's including a lot of foreign ones. The other hitch is that my landlord only put component cabling in the home theater he built so until I get buy own digs and make my own Dream Theater, I might as well stick with the best 480p player there is (plus it's a pretty good CD player as well). I'm getting there with the 2-channel audio though.....
Dave

mark funk

« Reply #39 on: 8 Sep 2009, 09:53 pm »
If you are looking at the same Super Pas 3 that I am on Ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220476630798&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

This one is go to go as is, but Frank can upgrade the SS buffers for $300 and a few Telefunken tubes you have some thing
realy nice. The Omega III EC would sound good too but I would go for the Super Pas 3, but if you have the cash I would
get a T-8. I have been kicking it around about replacing my (Dhalquist) DQ10 with STs, I am in a much smaller room these days but there
are still those times I like to crank it up and some times I blow the 3amp fuses in the DQ10s. I don't know if the ST can handle that
kind of power? Has any one put the hammer down on the STs? I have 250 watts of Van Alstine power and the way Frank
rates his amps it more like 280 watts.

:smoke: