NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN!

vaugi

Re: NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN!
« Reply #1520 on: 9 Sep 2011, 12:01 pm »
Good work Zygadr, looking forward to your thoughts on it.

tino84

« Reply #1521 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:38 pm »
hi,
I haven't read the entire thread,but something including works.

Briefly:

I started with 8 NXT + cardboard / mdf (0,3mm) / plywood.

yes,worked,but not as good as I hoped.

so bought one of these

http://www.ikea.com/it/it/catalog/products/40104294

wich contains 2 tables,one is thin chipboard,the other (the big one) something like cardboard/paper in a sort of wood fibre

4 NXT on a table,4 in the other.

and it sounded good,not the sound I was searching for (the big table it's more suitable for highs,chipboard for mids) but good.
I screwed NXT with 4 screw on their white case
http://i69.servimg.com/u/f69/14/79/41/69/p4050511.jpg

then,I bought another ikea "thing"

http://www.ikea.com/it/it/catalog/products/90071168

(150x75x3,4cm,using the old lack as supporting base)

placing NXT this way:

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=135&u=14794169

http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/14/79/41/69/100_1110.jpg

http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/14/79/41/69/100_1111.jpg

result

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/1001427p.jpg/

and those tings ROCKS!

then I bought other NXT,and finally I putted
9 NXT on vika amon
9 on cardboard
(8 NXT grounded serial,then 2 groups of 5 NXT grounded serial and than all in parallel )
reaching sound I like (mid a bit up and higs crisp)

so,the only thing against NXT:

- need BASS. the only bad thing,need a woofer/sub "normal" (as seen in pics,I use a pair wharfedale woofer cut from amplifier at 200/250hz,no money/aknowledge to build a dedicated box with wharfedale woofers)

I don't know if you can find these useful,because I saw many jobs here uses thinner panel and glue (things I did not find suitable for NXT,and for me,sounded worse),and I cannot efford mesurements (only my ears),it's only my little and happy experience

PS: sorry but my english is very very rusty,hope you'll understand anyway

zygadr

« Reply #1522 on: 11 Sep 2011, 04:42 am »
EPS VH is still the King!!!!!!..............long live the King!!!! :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :roll: :o :green:

tino84

« Reply #1523 on: 12 Sep 2011, 07:05 am »
zygadr,give a try also to ikea-like material (those kind of wood-fiber plus paper). (look at my previous post,it's been confirmed after your reply)

zygadr

« Reply #1524 on: 13 Sep 2011, 06:39 am »
EPS VH is still the King!!!!!!..............long live the King!!!! :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :roll: :o :green:

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :green:

zygadr

« Reply #1525 on: 14 Sep 2011, 03:46 am »
Full details on ULTRA BOARD coming soon everyone! :thumb:

Email just sent to MONACOR requesting application possibility and frequency response regarding the AR-50 exciter!!! :thumb:

vaugi

« Reply #1526 on: 14 Sep 2011, 08:11 pm »
Full details on ULTRA BOARD coming soon everyone! :thumb:

Email just sent to MONACOR requesting application possibility and frequency response regarding the AR-50 exciter!!! :thumb:

Argh.  Keeping us in suspense!    :green:

zygadr

« Reply #1527 on: 15 Sep 2011, 04:03 am »
Latest info to hand : 6mm Ultra Board can only be ordered in minimum quantities of 16! :duh: :roll:

10mm ........single sheets can be obtained......no problem.

zygadr

« Reply #1528 on: 15 Sep 2011, 11:39 pm »
I am now told that the minimum order for 10mm Ultra Board is 10 sheets!!!...........even though they gave me a price to ship ONE(!) sheet previously.
Obviously I'm being fobbed off as they don't want to deal with an individual or small order.

I won't be bothering..........it's good, but not THAT good :nono:

trucker

« Reply #1529 on: 16 Sep 2011, 12:28 am »
I found a link to a discussion on avsforum about using ultraboard for a prejection screen. It has some info about where to order from in the states in case some of the US readers might want to try:

Link
http://72.9.159.100/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=1b8c953eb981dacc168a421893aa2e7b&t=1186631

Minimum order seems to be the same here in denmark, 16, from looking at the website. I believe ultraboard is widely availably in most countries. They use the stuff for signs, boards etc., so maybe one can find a company that uses these materials, that have some excess stock. I would appreciate if you got into more details zygardr about the sound, but im sure you intend to when time permits. I have tried replacing my 60x120cm  10mm eps bords, mounted at corners in wooden frame (i put up some photos earlier), with thicker versions. I tried 25mm and 50mm! I had to bring it back home on a bicycle under rather windy conditions, not recommended!! Luckily the 50mm proved resilient to the heavy side wind. Btw, I got it for free at a building/hardware shop.
The 50mm definitely proved worse than my original, but also the 25mm, though only slightly. If I recall correctly the highs were subdued. However there was one positive, namely that the "ringing" sound from the edges of the panel were less pronounced of the thicker versions. Mind you, this issue with "loose vibrations" at the edges might arise from the fact that I only mount the panel by pressure at the four corners. I've tried taping the edges all way round to the frame but it didn't help, but I also wasn't very succesful at applying the tape so that it held the panel in a thight grip-it's hard to do for one person! Anyway one thing I did discover, trying stuff out as I did that day, was that a smaller lump of a panel that just stretched enough to fit onto my fixed frame-mounted exciters did produce an equally, or near to, listening experience as my full size panels, and noticibly, having the exciters out by the edge of the panel (given its smaller size) made it harder for me to detect the aforementioned ringing sound caused by edge vibrations. I believe it might have something to do with the exciter better controlling the movement of the panel near the edge and thus quelling the loose out of control shaking going on there. Now I know smaller panels are supposed to produce less bass, but its neat to have smaller panels work well too if you dont have the space.

Zygadr, I hope you can convice them that you are actually helping them out, by finding new applications for ultraboard, and that it might potentially result in more business for them. That's how I got my original eps for free  :thumb:   

good luck everyone

zygadr

« Reply #1530 on: 16 Sep 2011, 07:28 am »
There is no doubt in my mind that what we need and what we are using....... is a severe ''compromise''. :duh:

We need ONE and ONLY ONE exciter that is big, powerful, efficient and full range. Multiple exciters are a P.I.T.A.! :nono:

The panel material choice would be far larger if we had such a device. If I can get Monacor to answer my emails, maybe we could have a starter? :evil: :roll:

trucker

« Reply #1531 on: 16 Sep 2011, 08:47 pm »
check out the website of ultraboard:

http://www.dufaylite-panels.com/as-pressed-panels/

There is lots of information about various panel types, including timber framed versions! That kind of makes my own homebuild frames superfluous, that is if its doesn't effect sound in any negative way. I'm sure it has some impact..

Anyway also check out the price calculator onthe website. Seems like a 2400x1200 mm panel is 15£ and available for pickup direct at the factory - for those with a big car. So if you live in the UK near cambrigde, that sounds like an option.

While I'm at it, for the brits, the monacar AR-50 can be found here:
http://www.electricalmate.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=162800

Now I only need to find out how to get the stuff here in denmark  :D

cheers

trucker

« Reply #1532 on: 20 Sep 2011, 07:37 pm »
I've been in contact with a company that imports ultraboard here in Denmark, and they are willing to send me free samples- three different versions. Though these are obly small size panels it should be nice to test and to compare.

tino84

« Reply #1533 on: 30 Sep 2011, 07:01 am »
I give a try to vika amon,and put all NXT on it.
It seems to sound much better..

Abelma

« Reply #1534 on: 30 Sep 2011, 09:59 pm »
Hi. Very interesting DIy project!
I am in Europe and trying to start this project.
You are talking about a EPS VHS grade. I do not find with that specification here.
What I found is Polyestirene expanded or extruded. Extruded seems with more density, this is the VH Grade?
Thx

Abelma

« Reply #1535 on: 1 Oct 2011, 05:49 am »
O
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2017, 02:44 pm by Abelma »

zygadr

« Reply #1536 on: 3 Oct 2011, 04:04 am »
The Dayton exciter needs to be removed from the plastic casing.
The other type does not.........can be used as is.

tino84

« Reply #1537 on: 11 Oct 2011, 06:56 pm »
just bought two monacor ar-30 and two ar-50.
I think it takes 1-2 weeks to wait

zygadr

« Reply #1538 on: 12 Oct 2011, 04:18 am »
Good work tino84.

I would be very interested in hearing about these when you get them. :thumb:

tino84

« Reply #1539 on: 13 Oct 2011, 07:37 am »
I think I'll give a little try together (ar-30+ar-50) and then with NXT.

I ordered here

www.lieske-elektronik.de

but you can find also here for a bit less (but ar-50 will arrive at the end of november) (they has got also a perfect and fast customer service)

www.schlotzhauer-versand.de

there are also a site in poland and in Denmark,a little more expensive.(you can find easily with google,searching obviously for monacor ar-50 or ar-30)

the english site posted here in this thread not long ago seems does not shipping outside UK (I wrote an email to be sure,but they still aren't answering