NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN!

zygadr

Re: NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN!
« Reply #1540 on: 14 Oct 2011, 06:13 am »
Yes tino 84, they never answered my emails either. Good customer service eh??? :duh:

Thanks for the links on where to buy. This may come in handy :thumb:

zygadr

« Reply #1542 on: 17 Oct 2011, 04:47 am »
I'm hoping that these new and more powerful, better made exciters by Monacor may open up an entire new world of DML panels for the D.I.Y. individuals who have followed this enormous thread for so long. :P

It's been a bumpy ride and I have regretted doing and saying some things on here especially as I started this thread and the initial experiments with NXT exciters. :duh:

As said before, we desperately need to have a more powerful exciter that is still ''FULL RANGE'' but can expand our very small panel material suitability at present with the cheap and weak Chinese exciters commonly available. :roll:

If we have success with the Monacors, we can start thinking about wood laminates and many other materials that have previously been out of the question. 8)

I can hardly wait to see if we have ''IGNITION''..................''all systems go!'' :thumb:

tino84

« Reply #1543 on: 17 Oct 2011, 05:05 pm »
well,I changed some things with my NXT (alway putted on ikea vika amon) ,and I think I have good results,lacking always bass,around 150-200hz.for the cost (10$ pair) I mean,they are powerful and one of the higer price/results available on audio market

maybe monacor are better,waiting...but I really hope (1kg and 90x55mm, I think we are on another planet instead of NXT).
Hope they will ship tomorrow

trucker

« Reply #1544 on: 18 Oct 2011, 12:02 pm »
Found some new types of ultra board -type panels: one is Reboard

http://www.designforce.se/userfiles//Re-board%20Standard%20Portfolio%202010.pdf

A swedish manufacure. The others are listed on this site:

http://www.reproarts.co.uk/#/sustainability/4550118735

- apart from ultra board and reboard, there is BioBoard and Dupont Imvelo.

Only ultra baord by duafylite seems to use the honeycomb structure, it likely they hold a patent on this.

Anyways.. good news is that I found company, that provide signs with prints for marketing purposes. This is a local cmpany, but similar businesses are likely also found in other contries- that' my point. I've been on the phone and they actually had a intact 10mm reboard board they might sell me.. The problem is of course whether the price is prohibitive and/or if a can afford to pay the shipping - though I might just go to them instead! bringing my exciters and old hifi :D

I might alos look into them monacors, just it all gets a little expensive, thats all..

Anyways, how do you guys intend to attach tje monacors onto the boards. I'm quite sure that ultra board type panels are capable of holding even the heavy monacor (well, I'm only guessing here) but I'm not so sure that simple glue or double sided tape will suffice, and using screws would mean you'd have to dril trough the panel, and they are very thin, most of it is air!! I don't think that would work. Instead one could glue a large strip of something stiff -like metal or wood - onto the panel, like a brace or spine down the middle of the panel. Then one would fasten the moncor to this with screws. The large area of contact would allow the glue to bind securely. However this would also add an extra layer for the sound/vibrations to travel through!

Any opinion/suggestions?

tino84

« Reply #1545 on: 18 Oct 2011, 12:49 pm »
I don't know how you can use monacor on the thin panel.
Perhaps You can use some metal bar (but you have to screw anyway). monacor cames with its support that has to be screwed.
although,you can use another panel,and you screw rear of NXT/monacor,than you can stand the panel on the other.
I used this method right now with NXT (imagine a sandwich of your panel,with in the middle NXT,with the membrane on the panel you want to sound obviously).

I'll take a photo to make this clear :-p

trucker

« Reply #1546 on: 18 Oct 2011, 03:14 pm »
There is also this exciter:

http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/M-162710/EX-1+Exciter+Speaker

however it looks like its just a fancy version of the cheapo's from partys express but at a much higher price!! But it does have the NXT logo

zygadr

« Reply #1547 on: 19 Oct 2011, 02:30 am »
With the Monacors we don't have to think about foam and paper panels and problems with mounting.

I would imagine that we would be bolting these on to 1/4 inch plywood or something similar???

trucker

« Reply #1548 on: 21 Oct 2011, 05:06 pm »
Today I spent some time testing a new panel material: a reboard type panel, which is like a sandwich construction very similar to ultra board. The sample I've been listening to is 1x150x60cm, and I've compared it to my previous 1x120x60cm eps board, so slightly larger. Differences appears to be an increase in clarity though also a slight tendence to shrillness! The bass is clear but not as pronounced as on the EPS as I don't feel the same "slam" when drums play. I found it easier to hear teh vocals of singers and I think I pick up some details more clearly, but at this stage I think I prefer the eps overall for its ability to play lower. The added clarity is certainly nice, but in order to get the lower frequencies more pronounced I turn up the volume, but then those high frequencies just get a little too high pitched, and I still don't seem to get the bass!

Observations: THe reboard panel is much stiffer than the eps panel but also more heavy. When playing the EPS panel vibrates a lot more. This is not something you see, but you can feel it very easily by laying your hand on the panel. The excursions of the EPS panel are much more easily felt than the reboard which you hardly feel moving at all. Now I do think this is one reason why the "slam" and the base is better felt on the EPS, and I wonder if by chosing a material with more flexibility you gain more bass. Bear in mind that I'm only going by my ears, so I don't have any meassuring equipment to quantify the differences. I think that by choosing a 5mm thickness panel instead of the 1 cm, the reboard would play better. It's almost half weight and should still be very rigid. Of course a monacor might add the necessary punch to get the panel shaking, but its expensive to buy it, when you risk finding out it doesn't benefit the sound..sorry about that  :|

I might get a 5mm panel in the future.

thats it for now :D

zygadr

« Reply #1549 on: 22 Oct 2011, 06:20 am »
The reason the EPS sounds better(especially in the bass)is because it it MUCH lighter and has less mass.
Therefore, the EPS becomes ''pistonic'' in the bass frequencies similar to a normal cone driver. :o

There are pros and cons with all materials..............pick your poison. :scratch:

At present, even though I liked the Ultraboard, the EPS is still a great choice for panel material........and it's cheap!! :thumb:

tino84

« Reply #1550 on: 25 Oct 2011, 07:36 am »
ok,I can say lieske-elektronik is SLOW!

ordered Monacor at 10.10.11, 7 working days (written on description) as delivery time (ideally,19.10.11),but shipping scheduled for this week,don't know when!.think usually from Germany to Italy wants 5-7 days for shipping..
hope great waiting=great results :-p

zygadr

« Reply #1551 on: 25 Oct 2011, 11:42 pm »
I have lost control of my bladder!!!!!! :o......................when will they come???? :scratch: :duh:

tino84

« Reply #1552 on: 26 Oct 2011, 09:40 am »
don't konw,simply "this week".plus 5-7 days for shipping...quite one month...
I think if you have to buy monacor,give a try to schlotzauer /other links I posted..or take a lot of patience..

vaugi

Abelma

« Reply #1554 on: 29 Oct 2011, 12:32 pm »
H
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2017, 02:42 pm by Abelma »

zygadr

« Reply #1555 on: 31 Oct 2011, 01:14 am »
Hi Abelma.

Wood sound good eh?............here the ''Mother of Tone'' principle that I have previously mentioned is making itself known to us is it not?

With more powerful exciters now becoming available we are entering a new phase of DML panel loudspeaker experimentation.

If the Monacors or other so called high power exciters do not work as expected, we still have the normal Parts Express exciters which, when grouped/wired together, handle up to 40 watts depending on how they are wired.

Below is Amina's grouping of 4 exciters. I will soon try this on thin plywood to see what results are obtained as opposed to the vertical,equally spaced, inline positioning of the exciters in the past.

Abelma

« Reply #1556 on: 31 Oct 2011, 07:15 am »
Hi Zygadr

What is your last best configuration? Reading that you tried a lot.

tino84

« Reply #1557 on: 31 Oct 2011, 08:15 am »
Hi,
I have tried poplar plywood,vika amon by ikea,cd's housing plastic,paper,scotch tape,lack ikea,mdf 0,5,chipboard. in best result order.
using paper and scotch tape let you a great variety of WAF solution (f.e. a poplar plywood hanged as a picture and covered by a poster).

for me,best try it's the vika amon (that at the end is simply pressed cardboard in a frame of wood fibre,but is thicker than paper/plywood).

I think more important than material is..mounting.
I'm searching for the best result mounting.

Also (still) waiting for Monacors...

zygadr

« Reply #1558 on: 31 Oct 2011, 11:34 pm »
Abelma, the best, traditionally has been a vertical spacing of the drivers : 4 exciters wired as two sets paralelled, and then wired together in series to get 8 ohms.
The drivers were spaced with equal distances depending on the height of the panel.

As an example if you have a 6 foot panel, you divide 6 by 5 to get a spacing of 1.2 feet from top to bottom for four exciters.

However, as in the picture I just posted, this group of offset 4 exciters will be tried on thin plywood to see what happens.

Abelma

« Reply #1559 on: 1 Nov 2011, 10:05 pm »
[
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2017, 02:42 pm by Abelma »