Headed to the garage. Listening impressions added.

sl_1800

It's time to update my system.  I'm headed to the garage where a new sheet of mdf is awaiting.  I'm building a cabinet for the open baffle 12's.  It will be the same as the bottom section of the V1's.  I'm adding this to my Orion's just to see what can happen.  I'm sure this will turn into a full blown V1 project.

It's coming together , ready for some finish work and grill cloth.  The oak sides will be stained to match my Orion's and the rest of the cabinet will be satin black.  The back grill cloth will be black and the front is a light grey which matches my Orion's

« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2009, 05:35 pm by sl_1800 »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Headed to the garage.
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2009, 08:25 pm »
There is no doubt that the OB bass that Danny is getting out of those V-1's is the fastest and cleanest I've ever heard.  I'm curious to see how your efforts to improve your Orions turns out. 
Also, it was interesting to compare our notes on the newest incarnation of the V-1.  Seems we were hearing much the same improvements.

sl_1800

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2009, 04:18 am »
The bass of the V was it's strong point.  But now the entire spectrum from top to bottom is fantastic.  After my first encounter with the V I knew I had to work on my speakers or replace them.  The bass on mine paled in comparison to the V.  After comparing the LS6 to the V, i am even more impressed with the V.  While the LS6 is very good I felt the V actually imaged better.  The V has even better extreme left and right imaging than my Orion's.

Cacophonix

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2009, 02:12 pm »
The bass of the V was it's strong point.  But now the entire spectrum from top to bottom is fantastic.  After my first encounter with the V I knew I had to work on my speakers or replace them.  The bass on mine paled in comparison to the V.  After comparing the LS6 to the V, i am even more impressed with the V.  While the LS6 is very good I felt the V actually imaged better.  The V has even better extreme left and right imaging than my Orion's.

Better than the orion? Thats high praise indeed!  :thumb:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2009, 02:48 pm »
Better than the orion? Thats high praise indeed!  :thumb:

Never heard the Orions and was always curious about them... but the V1's need no subwoofer, don't need multiple amps, and appear to be at least the equal of the Orions.  The V1's are pretty clearly a very high value speaker (consistant with the whole GR-Research philosophy).  For those of us that have heard them, we know that Danny has got another special speaker on his hands.  I suspect that it will get a lot of attention at the RMAF this year.
Scott

EARGASM

• No thanks.
Re: Headed to the garage. Updated with pics
« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2009, 06:40 pm »
Removed by member. Contact GR RESEARCH for flat pack info.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 03:14 pm by EARGASM »

sl_1800

« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2009, 03:00 am »
Well my OB sub is finished, here are some more pics.  Now if I just had an amp for them......Danny??

« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2009, 01:09 pm by sl_1800 »

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2009, 12:06 pm »
Very nice!  So are you making the top interchangeable with the Orion top half and V1 coax?

sl_1800

« Reply #8 on: 10 Aug 2009, 12:40 pm »
My thought was to make them into V's someday.  But when that comes I may just start over and build all new enclosures. 

If others are like me you think where do I put the amp for the OB sub and it not look too bad.   I have decided to build it into a box that will hang on the wall near my equipment rack, near the electrical outlet, and just run the wiring over to it just like any speaker. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2009, 12:42 pm »
Very nicely done!!

I think there are some length limits for the speaker wire going from the amp to the drivers.  Depending on how far away your wall is, you might need to re-think things.

George

sl_1800

« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug 2009, 01:10 pm »
The wire run will only be 4 feet or so.  And thanks for the kind words on my work.

sl_1800

« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2009, 03:27 am »
I got my amp from Danny today.  Got home late so I hope to get it up and running in the morning. :drool:

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2009, 01:06 pm »
Wow, beautiful work! Man some of you guys make me sick you are so talented. If I attempted to make any type of speaker/sub they'd look like a 10 yr old built them. Wood and powertools and I don't get along to well-I bleed often... :duh:

sl_1800

« Reply #13 on: 15 Aug 2009, 03:56 am »
More pics of the sub.  It's in the room and playing now.

grubyhalo

« Reply #14 on: 15 Aug 2009, 05:47 am »
Nice work on the sub and the Orions!  :thumb:

longdrive55

« Reply #15 on: 29 Aug 2009, 06:25 pm »
More pics of the sub.  It's in the room and playing now.

Listening Impressions?

sl_1800

« Reply #16 on: 1 Sep 2009, 05:35 pm »
I have been listening to my new sub for a couple of weeks now working on getting it dialed in just right.  The sound of the sub and how it integrates with my Orion's is nothing short of amazing!!!!  I heard the 2 12" sealed Rythmic subs at Arts house this weekend, while I think the 2 sealed units may have more output, I'll stick with the open baffle for sound quality.  As you may have noticed in my pics the sub is in a home theater room which has only been used for movies maybe 5 times in the past 2 years so the bulk of my listening is music. 

Most people will say there is very little information in recordings below 40 or 50Hz so there is no need for a speaker to go that low.  Well I'm not so sure that's accurate.  I have been listening to all types of music and most, if not all benefits from the subs ability to play all the way to the bottom.  With many recordings my Orion's hint at what's there in the lowest octaves but just don't go there fully, now it's there (or hear in my room) in all it's glory.  And then some recordings actually have info I never new was there at all, the kind of stuff that jumps up and scares the crap out of a guy.

I have only played with a few different subs so I can't say what it sounds like compared to brand x, y or z, except for that high dollar Revel I had several years ago.  The GR will mop the floor with the Revel.    aa

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Headed to the garage. Listening impressions added.
« Reply #17 on: 2 Sep 2009, 12:11 am »
I have to agree. :thumb:  With the sealed servo sub I'm definitely getting more information which has transformed my stereo so much more for the better.

Drums and bass sound so much more real than I've ever heard before with the previous couple of subs I've owned and used.  And movies are just hands down AWESOME!  If I didn't have other projects lined up I'd consider building another one!