diy Shiva-x or Tempest-x 3-way PA speaker/studio monitors?

elves1111

Can't find any plans anywhere, but does anyone know if either of these would be good in a 3-way PA speaker design for a home studio?  I don't know what mids or tweets to pair them with, but has anyone done anything like this?    Looking into something similar to high end RCF, FBT, Turbosound, SLS type speakers.    I would also like to match them up with a couple of Maestrom-x's before too long, but this is my main focus for now.    I'm half tempted to just go and buy a nice pair of FBT's or RCF's,  but i am most attracted to and longing for something built we any and/or preferably all of these 3 speaker drivers!!  Since they are the best!!!     please let me know any input you might have..

Kevin Haskins

Re: diy Shiva-x or Tempest-x 3-way PA speaker/studio monitors?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2009, 06:01 pm »
I've not done a design nor has anyone that I know.    For typical PA speakers, the market typically requires higher efficiency than what you get when you design around  1st/2nd octave output.    For most PA speakers, a 40Hz f3 is full-range.    Why?   Well, you need just massive amounts of LF capability to provide good output to 20Hz without the benefit of room gain. 

I could design one, but you would need to design the system to be at least partially active so that the lower efficiency sub would match up to the much higher efficiency drivers used for midbass & HF.    It would make the most sense to make it all active, with the Shiva/Maelstrom crossed over to the midrange with a purpose designed crossover.   

Carl V

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2009, 08:13 pm »
I built a pair of Adire HE10.1/Malestrom Monitors for a teacher friend.
They are used in the school's auditroium for school productions.
They were big baltic Birch enclosures with carpet exterior,
lotsa bracing & dampening.

They were Dan WIggin's design.  And they sounded pretty darned good.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2009, 08:39 pm »
I built a pair of Adire HE10.1/Malestrom Monitors for a teacher friend.
They are used in the school's auditroium for school productions.
They were big baltic Birch enclosures with carpet exterior,
lotsa bracing & dampening.

They were Dan WIggin's design.  And they sounded pretty darned good.

The current Maelstrom is a very different beast.   It is more like the original Tumult but bigger.   The original Maelstrom was fairly high efficiency without the XBL^2 motor and with less overall stroke.   

elves1111

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2009, 08:20 pm »
so you mean active crossovers right?  this would be alright with me.  but if it would be more hassel than its worth, than maybe i should just build a 2-way mid-bass/top with more effecient drivers,  and then build a monstrous active sub with a couple Maelstrom's.   If so,  what drivers would you recommend to pair with a maelstrom without getting drown out? 

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2009, 10:01 pm »
so you mean active crossovers right?  this would be alright with me.  but if it would be more hassel than its worth, than maybe i should just build a 2-way mid-bass/top with more effecient drivers,  and then build a monstrous active sub with a couple Maelstrom's.   If so,  what drivers would you recommend to pair with a maelstrom without getting drown out?

It depends on your budget and size constraints.    I have a pair of Emenience Definimax 12"s that I've been itching to use and a B&C DE10-8 plus horn.     That allows for a fairly compact 2-way cabinet that reaches fairly deep.   You can keep it sealed because you don't need the extension.    Run that with a standard passive crossover between the bass & compression driver, and use the Maelstroms under that.     

It really depends on your budget and size constraints.   There are a number of ways to skin a cat.   

Carl V

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2009, 01:53 am »
You mentioned the original Tumult...which I have 2 of.....
in terms of the advancing art of Driver's, motors & XBL2

How does the original Tumult compare to the myriad of
'modern' sub drivers?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2009, 02:42 am »
You mentioned the original Tumult...which I have 2 of.....
in terms of the advancing art of Driver's, motors & XBL2

How does the original Tumult compare to the myriad of
'modern' sub drivers?

Dan went through a couple revisions and I'm not privy to all the details.    In terms of the magnetic structure and BL field, it was pretty comparable.  Inductance wise, Dan has learned a few things since the Tumult motor and those have been implemented in the new designs.     

Optimizing things like Le, flux modulation, suspension linearity all show up on non-linear distortion testing but it is difficult to translate that information to subjective impressions.    Subjective impressions have as much to do with the room and implementation as they do the driver so it is like making improvements in a racing car's tire.   You can show how it performs better in a number of metrics, but at the end of the day the driver, suspension, brakes etc... all have to combine to win the race.