Travel photography and camera type/size

BradJudy

Re: Travel photography and camera type/size
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jul 2009, 05:45 pm »
I've only recently rediscovered the 45mm pancake pictured above and will probably just try that with the D40 on the next trip as it's so small and light. I like the way the lens images and it's fast enough although a little hard to nail the focus wide open. Around town I don't bother with a bag even. Some people think it's a film camera, which is funny...

Since most of my 35mm work is with a ~50mm prime lens (both the rangefinders and my main SLR lens), I'm fairly comfortable with the idea of a prime as my main lens in a digital rig. 

JohnR

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jul 2009, 06:14 pm »
I thought you might :)

nathanm

« Reply #22 on: 24 Jul 2009, 06:24 pm »
I say if your camera isn't made out of wood you aren't macho enough. :P

BradJudy

« Reply #23 on: 24 Jul 2009, 08:00 pm »
I say if your camera isn't made out of wood you aren't macho enough. :P

I say if you didn't make your camera with your own hands, you aren't macho enough.  :D

nathanm

« Reply #24 on: 24 Jul 2009, 09:44 pm »
But seriously now, if you aren't John Coffer, you aren't a man enough photographer.  He trumps everyone else. :notworthy:

cfmsp

« Reply #25 on: 24 Jul 2009, 10:02 pm »
This thread has inspired me to look into a good backpack for carrying my camera gear...it also has to carry a 15" laptop and work as a carry-on for airplanes.  Anyone have experiences with either of these two?

Lowepro Fastpack 250:

Phil,
Long time, no see?

I would recommend the Lowe Pro Fastpack.  I use a smaller, earlier, single strap version (before they had the laptop capability), and it's phenomenal.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/SlingShot-200-AW,2035,4.htm

I won't hesitate to buy the Fastpack when I decide to get one that can also carry a laptop.

Clay

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #26 on: 24 Jul 2009, 10:55 pm »
Wow sorry I hijacked the thread in the direction of backpacks...I guess its because I saw a picture of a super-duper photo-backpack.

I do carry my laptop and other stuff to work everyday, so I add my camera and its 18-200mm lens, but I would never stand for 28lbs. That was just for a couple of weeks, and because I couldn't afford to leave the lens anywhere, since it costs $1800. I was just the renter! It did fit nicely in the pack!

The backpack is used by me everyday anyway, need my medicine, so I add my camera, no one has to feel as if they have to always 'be prepared' 24 hours per day. I am just an amateur photo-journalist/puparazzi so I carry it by choice. But it makes sense to me when travelling. Its not like no one carries a pack or bag with them  :scratch:

Whether it is a mule-drawn cart or a pair of speedos with a waterproof pocket for your micro p&s, a photographer will bring his gear.

JohnR

« Reply #27 on: 25 Jul 2009, 08:36 am »
For the masochist or mule-drawn cart owner, this might be a suitable choice:

FORMAT   20x24 inch
TRIPOD SOCKETS   Five, each 3/8" with 1/4" reducing bush
WEIGHT   22kg
DIMENSIONS   73 (h) x 73* (w) x 20 (l) cm *including knobs

http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam/main.SV2024.html

It folds up, so it's actually quite compact. I have to say that the idea of traveling the country by mule-drawn cart with a huge view camera on it has a certain rustic appeal :D
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2009, 10:19 am by JohnR »

Mr Content

« Reply #28 on: 25 Jul 2009, 11:44 pm »
Beautiful camera aa

Mr C aa

rmassey

« Reply #29 on: 26 Jul 2009, 03:22 am »
Hi Brad, 

Good questions in your OP. As you know I recently stepped up to the D90, so I am adjusting to the new 'bulk' of a DSLR over my P&S.

Currently I have the 16-85mm lens and I just got the new 35mm prime DX lens. I also picked up an SB-600 flash, so my DSLR stash of goods is growing.  I am now looking at a Kata backpack to hold it all. 

...but back to your question...  I think for your situation, if budget allows ($1500), take a look at the Pan GH-1.  The 'kit' lens is pretty impressive - 14-140mm/F4.0-5.8  and could easily serve as an all purpose lens for air travel. Heck, I've dumped over $1500 in my D90 system and will hit $2K in no time.  I don't do much air travel, but if/when I do, I have considered a full blown backpack that holds a lappy + DSLR gear... or just take my D90 with the 16-85 and a few batteries, leaving the rest at home or for road trips.   Currently I have a Tamrac photo bag that just holds the DSLR with mid sized telephoto and batteries. Yes, it does have some bulk, but not as much as a full backpack.

Slightly off topic but during my camera research, I found three sizes....  entry level (Nikon 5000/Canon 500), mid sized (D90) and huge brick (Nikon 300 / Canon 50D).  The entry level DSLRs felt like a plastic toy and almost too small for my hands, the Huge ones felt way too big and I felt I'd never want to use them, hence my choice to opt for the D90.  Size being somewhat related to your OP, I thought I mention this one for consideration.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #30 on: 26 Jul 2009, 03:35 am »
  I don't do much air travel, but if/when I do, I have considered a full blown backpack that holds a lappy + DSLR gear...

Yes a laptop/photo backpack is fine for air travel - it may not always fit under the seat in front of you (on some planes it does) but it can always fit between your feet, which seem to be good enough for the flight attendants. Never put your gear in the overhead compartment!

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #31 on: 26 Jul 2009, 03:46 am »
Hi,

I like my Panasonic FZ-20 as a take anywhere camera. It has a Leica 12X (36-432) optical image stabilized zoom lens that takes good quality pics. Of course, being so versatile has some disadvantages but overall it's a good compromise. It's not a SLR so for its size it is light. It is moderately priced so if it is stolen you're not out $$$$.

I've had this camera for about 5 years and it has operated without hiccups. I suspect there are updated versions which exceed the limitations of the FZ20. I really like to travel light and not be burdened with supplementary lens, etc so with the FZ20 and a small close up lens I can operate under a wide variety of conditions and end up with very acceptable images. :D

-Roy 
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2009, 04:00 pm by rajacat »

BradJudy

« Reply #32 on: 26 Jul 2009, 12:26 pm »
Thanks for the additional thoughts.  I stopped by Fry's yesterday and took a look at what they had (they aren't close, so I'm rarely over there).  They don't seem to carry any Nikons, but they had Canon T1i and XS, Olympus 620, 510, 410, Panasonic G1, Pentax K2000 and Sony (don't remember model) in the DSLRs.  The difference in size between the Panny G-1 and the Canon T1i was less than I expected, less noticeable than the difference between the Nikon D60 and D90.  Probably because the G1/GH1 is only shallower, but the same height and width as the T1i/D60 class cameras.  I'm sure it's lighter, but the Fry's cameras were mounted to posts with tethers, so you couldn't tell. 

Unfortunately, the G1 didn't have power, so I couldn't do anything with it.  I haven't seen a GH-1 yet, but it sounds like it's just a touch taller.  If I went that route, I don't know if the HD video and jack of all trades lens is worth the street price difference of $850 ($650 vs $1500).  The lens lists for $850 on its own, but it is arguably overpriced.

I'll have to get somewhere that I can do a real check-out of the G/GH1 and others, perhaps Wolf.

twitch54

« Reply #33 on: 26 Jul 2009, 12:37 pm »

Total weight for EVERYTHING - under 4 lbs.

I like the idea !! Thus my vote goes to the ...... Canon G-10, gotta be in the top five 'travel cameras' out there...IMO !

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=17624

check it out !

BradJudy

« Reply #34 on: 26 Jul 2009, 01:46 pm »
I like the idea !! Thus my vote goes to the ...... Canon G-10, gotta be in the top five 'travel cameras' out there...IMO !

The G10 isn't much different than my current A630, particularly with the hack firmware I have loaded that allows me to shoot RAW, do bracketing and other G series features.  My hope is to move to a larger sensor and better lenses to maximize image quality.  The G10 has IS, high-res LCD and a hot shoe, which would be nice, but it's not a motivating upgrade.

Steven Stone

« Reply #35 on: 26 Jul 2009, 02:37 pm »
I just returned from the Rockygrass academy where I used the Panasonic G-1 and Lx-3.

I've attached some of the on-stage shots made with the G-1 at 800 ASA - the 50-200 zoom set at 200mm (400mm equiv) at 5.6 (wide open) - not bad for a 1.5 lb. camera (I did "cheat" and use a six ounce AMvona mono pod).

rmassey

« Reply #36 on: 26 Jul 2009, 11:09 pm »
My Pentax digital system hasn't left my studio for over nine months...

Do you still use the Pentax in the studio. or has the G-1 completely replaced the DSLR.

rmassey

« Reply #37 on: 26 Jul 2009, 11:21 pm »
I don't know if the HD video and jack of all trades lens is worth the street price difference of $850 ($650 vs $1500).  The lens lists for $850 on its own, but it is arguably overpriced.

I agree and this somewhat pushed me towards the D90 over the GH1. I was looking at $1500 either way with my choice of the 16-85 lens.  If the GH1 would have been priced at/below $1K, I might have gone that way.   I also wanted to have a full choice of lenses offered in the N/C models over the newer u4/3 design.  I like what Panasonic is trying to do, but it seems they are not there yet and the pricing needs to be re-examined IMO.

one other thing to know about the GH1 is they say it eats batteries with the constant auto focus (in video mode)... msot reviews mention that the included battery is not adequate.

PhilNYC

« Reply #38 on: 20 Aug 2009, 08:38 pm »
  I don't do much air travel, but if/when I do, I have considered a full blown backpack that holds a lappy + DSLR gear...

Yes a laptop/photo backpack is fine for air travel - it may not always fit under the seat in front of you (on some planes it does) but it can always fit between your feet, which seem to be good enough for the flight attendants. Never put your gear in the overhead compartment!

I ended up getting the Kata DR-467 Rucksack and am very happy with it.  Camera gear fits nicely, laptop compartment is roomier than advertised (I can fit my 15" Macbook Pro plus other things like notepads, magazines, etc in it), and plenty of storage space for other stuff like battery chargers, etc.  It is lighter than the LoewePro FastPack 250, and the carry-strap at the top of the bag is slightly sturdier than the Fastpack's.  I just took this on a flight on Continental (737) and it fit fine under the seat in front of me... :thumb:

BradJudy

« Reply #39 on: 20 Aug 2009, 11:28 pm »
Since this thread got bumped, I'll mention that I'm keeping an eye on the rumored Panasonic GF1 - http://43rumors.com/ft2-panasonic-gf1-pictures/

Supposedly it will be announced on Sept 1st.