Kepler Updates

Kevin Haskins

Kepler Updates
« on: 16 Jul 2009, 12:41 am »
I've made some small updates that I need to address on the current web site.   These are mainly small changes based upon supply of parts, and a couple updates that I've done to help me in small-scale production.

#1.   I need to update the crossover picture because I'm using a new P-Core inductor on the woofer.   It has a ferrous core, increasing inductance, lowering DCR which gives us maybe 0.5dB more output.    I'm not audibly able to tell the difference between the 14AWG air-core, and the 15AWG P-Core.    The saturation point is WAY up around 400W or so.   The driver would be a crispy-critter way before you hit saturation levels.     The cost is no better but I like the way it mounts, and it does give us a little lower DCR so I've moved over to it as my standard for woofer networks where the inductor is in series with the woofer.

#2.   I'm now machining the baffles on my CNC mill.   I'm able to get exceptionally good tolerances (less than the thickness of the paint) so the drivers drop-in tight.    The main advantage, is that I'm now able to mount the drivers without the cut showing at the edges.    I also have all the screw-holes exactly lined up to within a couple thousands so the drivers mount perfectly in-line.   I was never able to get this level of accuracy manually cutting them so this has been a bonus.    It is a small detail but one that has always bothered me when cutting these things manually. 

#3.   I am FINALLY going to have a demo pair that can rotate around to interested parties.    I have a pair of cabinets that have a few cosmetic blems and they are going into demo duty.    If you want to give them a listen the cost of admittance, is the shipping price plus everyone pitches in $25 to cover the ultimate cost of the demo pair.   

Let me know if you want on the bandwagon.

Kevin Haskins

Re: Kepler Updates
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2009, 10:16 pm »
Here is some video eye-candy of my CNC mill drilling starter holes.    Once you have one of these things, it is hard to see how you did without it.   The drivers are nut-on with every baffle cut.    I also modified the cuts to allow for easy access to the difficult 0.105" Faston connector that connects the tweeter.   Overall, much more professional results than my old method.    I could even cut these out of aluminum but checking the material price, the baffle would cost more than the rest of the enclosure.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgFJ7uCC1IA

srb

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2009, 10:48 pm »
I could even cut these out of aluminum but checking the material price, the baffle would cost more than the rest of the enclosure.

Convex, bead blasted and black hard-anodized, like the Magico.   :drool:

Steve

persisting1

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2009, 11:08 pm »
Impressive.

More videos if possible.

Any aluminum amp CNC videos?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2009, 11:14 pm »
I could even cut these out of aluminum but checking the material price, the baffle would cost more than the rest of the enclosure.

Convex, bead blasted and black hard-anodized, like the Magico.   :drool:

Steve

Easy to do.   

« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2009, 02:33 am by Kevin Haskins »

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2009, 11:15 pm »
Impressive.

More videos if possible.

Any aluminum amp CNC videos?

There will be once I'm making them.    :lol:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2009, 08:52 pm »
On other thing I'm playing with is the Seas DXT tweeter.

I'm in need of a couple beta testers who would be willing to buy a couple speakers at $600/pr (50% off).    I just need feedback on the crossover design and there may be a couple back & forth revisions.   I'd send external crossovers so that the beta testers didn't need to crack open the enclosure with updates.   

I just need experienced audiophiles with hopefully dedicated audio rooms and high-quality upstream equipment.     

If anyone is interested, just drop me a PM..