Lii Audio Fast-10 vs Zenith 49CZ852 drivers

Russell Dawkins

Lii Audio Fast-10 vs Zenith 49CZ852 drivers
« on: 12 Dec 2019, 11:14 pm »
I'm wondering if there is anyone here who has had the opportunity to listen to both these speakers and can offer any indication of relative merits of each.

I am particulary interested in the quality of the reproduction through the upper bass-lower mids and the smoothnes and openness of the treble.

I am trying to make a decision between the two based purely on sound quality in terms of the ability to draw you into the music and let you occasionally forget it's a reproduction, that is, the ability to 'disappear'.

Thanks,Russell

Poultrygeist

Re: Lii Audio Fast-10 vs Zenith 49CZ852 drivers
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2020, 10:10 am »
This blogger has reviewed the Fast 8 and Zeniths. He also answers emails.

http://glowinthedarkaudio.com/lii-audio-fast8.html

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2020, 06:24 pm »
Thanks for the link. He makes the Fast 8 sound like great value.

The price differential ($200 — $550) between the similar-looking Fast-8 and the new black Fast-10B which apparently replaces and improves upon the Fast 10, sonically, is a little puzzling.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2020, 06:46 pm »
Electronic pairing is what really makes something like that magical. That's the trick.

uncola

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2020, 10:29 am »
Russell the fast8 is one of Lii’s  mid tier quality drivers.  The fast 10 series is part of their top tier along with crystal 10.  They share fast in the name so it’s confusing.  That’s why the big price jump

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2020, 08:00 pm »
Russell the fast8 is one of Lii’s  mid tier quality drivers.  The fast 10 series is part of their top tier along with crystal 10.  They share fast in the name so it’s confusing.  That’s why the big price jump

It would seem that is what Lii would have up believe—that more expensive is necessarily better—but I am a sceptic at heart and like evidence of some sort.

I certainly would like to know (from the manufacturer) the specifics of the differences between the Fast 8 and Fast 10B, also the differences between the Fast 10 and the Fast 10B, not to speak of the Crystal 10. I have to say the crystal on the pole piece really puts me off. Is this acoustically meaningful or a tacky attempt to appeal to the nouveau riche crowd who are interested in buying 'up-market' bling?

I presume cone material and magnet size and/or quality is one variable, and I hope this translates into better sound, but it seems hard data is in short supply. I read somewhere that they use—at least on the Crystal 10—a higher than usual grade of ceramic magnet, but maybe that varies model to model. It would be nice to see real response curves with THD levels at three or more different output levels.