Looks Like I Need to Bi-Amp...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 24 Dec 2003, 09:24 pm »
Well I finally have my RM 40's up and running (thanks B for the collars, they did the trick!).

Seems that in my room at the levels I do like to listen to, my Koras run out of steam at times depending on the music.   :(

This means I either need to replace my Koras (which I love) or bi-amp.

I guess the first step is to try and bi-amp with my trusty, old Adcom GFA 555 MK II amp on the woofers.  The problem I think I am going to face is getting the levels to match.  I don't have a way to lower the volume level on the Koras...  

Looks like a call into Brian on Friday to try and figure things out...

How are others who are using tubes on mids/treble doing it?

Happy Holidays.

Horsehead

« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2003, 10:32 pm »
How about using a Crown K2 for the bass?  More than enough power, super high damping factor, switchable gain, plus level controls, and a somewhat reasonable price.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=16100898&St=9317&St2=-67114799&St3=-45626664&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=117378&DID=7

meilankev

« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2003, 09:27 pm »
Hello  George,

I'm sorry you are running into some (more) problems getting everything up and running.  Biamping does seem to be a logical solution.

However...

Is it possible that the gain of your Transcendence preamp is set too low?  This was a problem I had with my first KORA preamp.  My original system, while accurate, was lifeless and without dynamics.  In fact, I blew a bunch of fuses on the Cosmos pair trying to get enough volume to fill my smallish room.  It wasn't until KORA sent me a replacement preamp (with increased gain) that my system came to life.  Since then, my Cosmos pair are absolutely effortless at any volume you would want.  Biamp my RM40s?  Not in a million years.

Perhaps the gain of the Transcendence is adjustable?  If so, I would try that first.

Either way, good luck.
Kevin

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2003, 12:43 am »
Kevin,

I really did think I would be ok with the Koras running full range.  I never had a problem with the Silverlines, but they were more efficient and didn't dip as low.

When you didn't have enough gain, did the amps clip?  I can hear mine clipping (aka distorting) when I am listening at highish db's (mid 90's) and their is a lot of bass going on.

I will contact AVA about the preamp, but I don't think there is anything that can be adjusted.

I am going to talk to Brian tomorrow about what the next step should be.  You, of all people, know why I don't want to get rid of the Koras...  :)

Assuming I can't run the Koras full range, the question becomes:

Do I bi-amp or maybe go with different amps full range?  Horsehead is going to bring the Solar Fusion mono blocs once he gets them for me to give a listen.  I also might give some Electrocompaniet mono blocs a listen.

I listened to the 40's with my HT setup (Outlaw 950 pre/pro, Panny RP91 dvd player, and Sherbourn 5/1500A amp).  Actually not too bad, but certainly not at the level I obtain with my 2 channel gear.

Anyway, I am sure I will eventually get this all figured out.... 8)

GW

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2003, 02:23 am »
"Do I bi-amp or maybe go with different amps full range? Horsehead is going to bring the Solar Fusion mono blocs once he gets them for me to give a listen. I also might give some Electrocompaniet mono blocs a listen".

Why don't you do both and let US know what you think. Something tells me that biamping will win out in the end.  You could try to biamp with your Sherbourn as an experiment and see how it sounds!?!

Larry

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2004, 11:09 pm »
The current $2500ea Electro stereo amp (bridgeable) might have sounded similar to the Ampzilla 2000 monos.  After the very extensive research I did about the company, their lack of US dist support, & the fact that one channel of the amp exploded violently with no 'splanation, I would personally never consider owning an Electro product.

If someone gave me one I'd sell it, & only after the buyer acknowledged by signature that it was sold where is as is.  

My first choice is the $5500pr Ampzilla monos, but the $2800ea stereo McCormack DNA-225 is an incredibly close second.  I was a dyed in the wool tube nut till I got the Ampzillas.  On your RM40s I doubt you'd miss your tubes with either of the above amps, which both appear to be totally bulletproof.  One little caveat about the McC is that it may perform ideally with its matching $1800 preamp.  The preamp simply has no competition that I know of, having beat pres up to $12k.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2004, 01:28 am »
Jim,

I could have gotten a pair of the Electrocompaniet amps for $2K on Audiogon, but I passed.

I have listened to McCormack amps and they aren't my cup of tea.  In no way would I ever mistake them for tube amps in terms of their sound!   :nono:

The McCormack amps always seemed very sterile and never drew me into the music.  I have tried them on a variety of speakers and systems over the years.

The Ampzillas would be a possibility but I would need to audition them and also get a pretty good price for them to fit into my budget.

GW

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2004, 07:28 pm »
I can not stress highly enough that every time I heard the magic in the McCormack DNA-225 & DNA-HT3 (the only ones I've heard), it was with either an RLD or MAP preamp.  Maybe the magic is only when they are paired.  I also can not stress highly enough that I think the MAP & RLD are as far as I can tell the best preamp deals extant & the best preamps overall I've heard, period, including tubes up to $12k.  

YMMV.

rosconey

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2004, 07:57 pm »
my odyssey extemes would work nice :mrgreen:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2004, 08:57 pm »
About 3-4 years ago I listened to the stereo odyssey amp and thought it was nice for the money, but that the Sunfire Signature and the Plinius SA-250 were much better (I understand that they are all at different price points, but this is what was available to me).

I would love a chance to hear the odessey extreme monos.

If there is anybody in the tri-state area who has them and would like to hear them with the RM 40's, let me know.

GW

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2004, 09:11 pm »
Quote from: RibbonSpeakers.net
The current $2500ea Electro stereo amp (bridgeable) might have sounded similar to the Ampzilla 2000 monos.  After the very extensive research I did about the company, their lack of US dist support, & the fact that one channel of the amp exploded violently with no 'splanation, I would personally never consider owning an Electro product.

If someone gave me one I'd sell it, & only after the buyer acknowledged by signature that it was sold where is as is.  

My first choice is the $5500pr Ampzilla monos, b ...

i have been a long time & wery happy electrocompaniet amp owner.  i owned a brand-new pair of aw60ftt's & was wery happy with them.  i only sold them to go w/tubed amplification.  and, i only sold them because i found an older aw75dmb to match the one i already own.  i won't let these go, unless i can find a more powerful matched pair!   :)   my aw75dmb's are presently utilized driving my vmps larger subs.  ec is my first (and only) choice for s/s amplification, if i have the $$$...  of course, in the next few years, w/the expected improvement in digital amplification, this may change...

re: ec's usa distributor, i have heard less-than satisfactory stories about them, but i have always received exemplary service directly from the mfr, when i have had any problems.  actually, the only problem i ever had was blowing up a transformer in one of my aw60ftt's when i was conwerting it from 220v to 120v. (it came from the netherlands.)  it was a language barrier w/ec that contributed to this failure - they were actually helping me do the conwersion.  when the language issues were fixed, they provided to me - at no charge - a brand-new transformer to repair the amp.  it, and the other one, which i properly conwerted the 1st try, performed flawlessly, as do the two i presently own.

doug s.