pics of beautiful listening rooms

JoshK

Re: pics of beautiful listening rooms
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jul 2009, 01:17 am »
Or you can just use Geddes' multi-sub technique to even out room modes.  Geddes' HT room wasn't heavily treated and it was one of the best rooms I've heard.  He used treatments for all first reflection spots including the floor and ceiling.  I can't say whether the front wall was treated as it has a curtain covering it.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #21 on: 12 Jul 2009, 05:20 am »
You'll fine some nice rooms in the AC Gallery...take a look.

Here's a few....

Here's Art's in Texas....

Here's Tom's new look ....

A few more to check out in the gallery..Scott F. and PeteG ....and lots more. :wink:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #22 on: 12 Jul 2009, 12:35 pm »
Or you can just use Geddes' multi-sub technique to even out room modes.  Geddes' HT room wasn't heavily treated and it was one of the best rooms I've heard.  He used treatments for all first reflection spots including the floor and ceiling.  I can't say whether the front wall was treated as it has a curtain covering it.

The wall directly behind the main speakers is heavily treated. This is because he didn't have them pulled out into the room at all, almost abutting the wall. I don't think that the space in between the speakers is treated much if at all. Pretty amazing sound actually given the strong potential of SBIR interaction as the main speakers are touching the front wall!

Anand.

KeithR

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jul 2009, 03:48 pm »
never seen so many untreated, unappealing rooms as that one in the home theater circle!

begs the question as to how people care so much about cables and power conditioners when they don't put a single treatment into the room.

ted, i think you are one of the exceptions to my comments ;)  my Rives concept is taking shape and i have a lot to do myself. 

??  Dunno about others, but I have 25 in my pictured room.  Four huge Corner Mondos, Four RFZ's at sloped and side wall first reflection points, two large diffusors on back wall, two addtl art panels on back wall, three high frequency-versioned MiniTraps on ceiling, and then ten Mini Traps (8 large, 2 2x2's) adorning ceiling and slope areas around the room.  I'd say that was enough for now.  Room sounds glorious.

KeithR

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jul 2009, 03:49 pm »
Very true Keith.
Admittedly, I was very late to "the show". It took me a long time to realize just how important treatments are. The photos of my room are old, I've since installed some panels. The result is far and above the financial cost.

But you've got to admit, the photos of Ted's room made you drool like a rabid animal.
Didn't they?  aa

Bob

EDIT: whoops.......There's Ted.  :lol:

better late than never!

JoshK

« Reply #25 on: 14 Jul 2009, 01:26 am »
Hey Keith, how the heck are ya?  How's Hell-A treating you?

KeithR

« Reply #26 on: 14 Jul 2009, 02:56 am »
JoshK- strangely enough, its been 7 years since i lived on the wrong coast!

things are well---just took CFA L3 in June (pray to goodness i'm done), so now have some time to work on home related items, and hence have Rives doing a L1 design for me that i will be implementing soon.  just trying to keep time passing by until the day of reckoning on August 18th.

simple system these days....Dynaudio C1s and a BAT integrated.  but honeslty don't miss the big rigs that much.  will be adding a sub soon as i have a large room (25' square)

you still working in investment management?  I'm a PE guy now and love it.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #27 on: 14 Jul 2009, 05:51 pm »
I don't know how to post images or even where our digital camera is, but I have a room designed with nearfield speaker/listener setup ala Cardias.  With 8 foot ceilings, the width is 13 feet and the length is 22 feet.  All together it looks a lot like the rooms posted above, except that the back of the room is also my office and the side walls include tall bookcases (my diffusers).

The top advantage of having a dedicated room is freedom to setup and listen as you like.  The next most important advantage is the acoustical isolation afforded.  Lastly is the sonic advantage.

With nearfield setup and mass loaded transmission line (MLTL) cabinet/single driver speakers (the raw drivers are rated to below 30 Hz) there is very little room interaction as:

1. The MLTL design allows the bass roll-off to nicely complement room gain;
2. The large driver beams high frequencies, so room reflections are minimized;
3. The nearfield setup helps with both of the above even further.

I have six GIK 244 panels at first front/side wall reflection points and in the front corners.  And I've experimented with them elsewhere.  But frankly they don't seem to do much.  In fact my room was done for less than the cost of the panels, simply because effective design doesn't have to cost much.  Double stud walls and insulation all around is cheap.  Installing an insulated fiberglass door with weather seals versus a typical interior door is close to zero cost differential, as is using lined/insulated flexible duct versus sheet metal ductwork. 

K Shep

« Reply #28 on: 16 Jul 2009, 10:37 pm »
I built an attic in my home a few years ago, prior to my addiction to 2 channel audio.  So the layout would be different if I were to build the room today.  The riser is to clear recessed can lights for the room below.  As you can see I have acoustic panels in the reflective points and scattered about.  I just finished my first diy panel project that went very well.  You may see the changes to the room.  I am still a newb and I have a bunch to learn, but I sit in my listening chair and smile everyday.

« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2009, 11:39 pm by K Shep »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #29 on: 16 Jul 2009, 10:54 pm »
Looks like you did a Helluva nice job to me Shep. Nice!!  aa

Bob

EDIT: But only one of your photos work.  :?

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #30 on: 16 Jul 2009, 11:01 pm »
Shep:

Nice looking little hide-away.  The ST RT must sound very sweet up there. 

K Shep

« Reply #31 on: 17 Jul 2009, 02:19 am »
I will try this once more.

Photo of a diy panel prior to install.

K Shep

« Reply #32 on: 17 Jul 2009, 02:36 am »
Thank you Bob and Pipe,

I revised the photos, the room is quiet, the thick carpet and padding helps.  The area of the room near the book case is a serious natural bass trap.  There is not much I can do about it.  I am having loads of fun learning more and more about what works.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #33 on: 17 Jul 2009, 04:14 am »
Hey there we go, now the photos are working!
Nice room indeed.  aa

Bob

nathanm

« Reply #34 on: 17 Jul 2009, 03:38 pm »
Aww, that's so cute!  It's like a little audiophile clubhouse!  :)  I like a good slanted attic ceiling myself.  Very cozy and inviting.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: 18 Jul 2009, 01:47 am »
These pictures have really inspired me.  I have a cavernous attic but no place to put a staircase to it.  This hide-away concept appeals to me.  How difficult was the process to complete this space?  Did you have to move HVAC, add AC, reinforce the floor... ?  Do you feel that in the end it was worth the cost?  This may be my most reasonable option in terms of space and money.  I wouldn't mind "picking your brain" a little more about your experience if you wouldn't mind.

Photo of a diy panel prior to install.

[/quote]

K Shep

« Reply #36 on: 18 Jul 2009, 02:01 am »
Jt,
I just sent you a PM.

JoshK

« Reply #37 on: 18 Jul 2009, 02:35 am »
Love the attic shindig

cujobob

« Reply #38 on: 18 Jul 2009, 03:05 am »

Front of the room had scraps left over from his foam plugs behind the screen and curtains.  Side walls were untreated (his designs don't tend to need them).  Ceiling was just a diffusor panel, floor was wooden but had a mattress in between the speakers and listening couch (covered by a rug).

K Shep

« Reply #39 on: 18 Jul 2009, 11:01 pm »
I thought I would post photos of the attic build.  I think it will get some juices flowing from the DIY crew.